Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
I am new here .
I am quite late to motorbikes as until I was 37 (2008)I had never been on one . Passed CBT in 2008 and bought a Yamaha YBR 125 and a year later passed my test and bought a XJ6N I still currently own the 59 reg Yamaha XJ6N that is my first big bike and I have had it from new but it has covered 68000 miles.
So I am looking at a bigger bike that I could tour Europe on with my wife but it may end up in France permanently. Looking at getting a Sprint Gt . We have a Street Triple in France and getting that registered there is a pain so I am aware the Headlamps need to conform for Europe and the only way you can do it is with a Europe spec headlamp for Street Triple .So we bought a pair of new Europe spec lamps.
I have looked at Fowler’s Triumph parts diagram for the Sprint GT and there is only one headlamp listed , no separate part numbers for U.K. and Europe specs as there is with the Street Triple for example.
Has anyone registered a Sprint GT in France ?
Is there something in the headlamp that can be repositioned to change the dip from U.K. left to Europe right but without cutting the lens off or anything drastic light that?
I must admit I have not contacted Triumph factory direct yet which is what I did with the Street Triple lamps as working out which ones were for Europe was bloody confusing.
Any thoughts or experiences solely relating to a GT and subject in question greatly received.

Cheers , David

PS . First test ride on a GT today , why are the speedo numerals so bloody small and the km in red so colourblind people like me cannot read them :confused:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I am registered in France. To me the lights seem to be perfectly symmetrical. I don't seem to see the pattern we see on car headlights, that are leaned over the road side. I couldn't tell on the top of my head whether the light pattern is higher on the right side though. I could check tonight.
For documentation here are the pictures you may use to compare.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
As Fred says, it's a symmetrical dipped beam so only one headlight part number for the whole world and nothing to adjust 🙂

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats great guys thank you for pics and info.
Funnily enough I emailed Triumph today and got a email back late this afternoon and they state that one headlamp applies to all markets.
Fredsprint , how did you get on with the speedo change to km . On our Street Triple it’s just a case of pressing a button on digidash to convert speed and odometer to km as it is on my 59 reg Yamaha but I don’t know if that’s the case with the GT as I don’t actually own a bike yet , obviously the speedo won’t change as it’s not a digital readout but does the digital odometer change to km . Stupid really as the Gt came out after both of my other bikes and you would have thought it would of at least had the same tech as a Street Triple.
How did you get round the speedo change ? I am told the French won’t accept analogue speedos with the km as a secondary scale . Its Possible to source a new km dash which is a much better design as it only has one scale (ok it’s in Km) but the numerals are bigger and Triumph tell me it is just a case of fitting it , no reprogramming needed but the odometer will read zero Km and not convert the original mileage automatically to km. Not sure how well a used bike with zero km will go down with the inspecting French dealer.
David.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, I've read that you can just swap the cluster for another but the mileage won't update.

There is a button sequence to change between metric, UK and US units. Can't remember but a quick Google will find it. However, that would keep the current unit which you don't want and the French won't accept. I'd be surprised if there's not a way to update the mileage on the unit.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Fredsprint , how did you get on with the speedo change to km .
I didn't. My bike was originally sold in France.
I am told the French won’t accept analogue speedos with the km as a secondary scale .
You are in europe (don't think the brakesite is yet in effect regarding vehicles). As you may know there is no inspection (smoke check) for motorcycles in France, so I would say you won't show your bike to anybody. Just paperwork.
I guess you read frensh so some infos here.
Its Possible to source a new km dash which is a much better design as it only has one scale (ok it’s in Km) but the numerals are bigger and Triumph tell me it is just a case of fitting it , no reprogramming needed but the odometer will read zero Km and not convert the original mileage automatically to km. Not sure how well a used bike with zero km will go down with the inspecting French dealer.
David.
It seems that frensh dashes are sold in the UK comming from dealer importing vehicles in UK. To be checked.
They speak about that here.
''Think your mistaken otherwise there wouldnt be numerous kph clocksets for sale in the uk from dealers who have imported non uk spec bikes that wont display mph and had to swop clocksets to comply with the uk sva regulations. '

BTW better have the correct speedo for the day you'll sold the bike (in France).

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Seems some are talking about holding the 3 dash buttons while key on and choosing between 3 options afterward (S3 and tiger). Don't know whether it works on the GT.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If the GT dash programming is the same as the 1050 ST then I believe the following will work. Not sure where I learned this but I wrote it into my shop manual so hoping it was accurate though I've not personally tried it.

Press and hold all three buttons for 5 seconds then press the left button to change from imperial to metric. # 2 is metric then press the center button to exit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have now put a deposit down on the bike .
So to go over what I/we have all found out on this subject.
The headlamp is symmetrical (confirmed by Triumph) and therefore is fine for Europe and other markets.
The speedo will need to be changed if I eventually register in France. You may be lucky and the French Triumph dealer who has to check the bike may let a primery MPH , secondary KPH reading speedo go but as the paperwork process can take 3 months ( our French Street Triple registration has taken much longer but that is another story) it can put the registration process back months.
Pressing buttons to get a km odometer reading will not be of benefit as the speedo will not read KPH as the main scale.
I have not seen a supplier who can sell just a replacement speedo face reading KPH.
However new KPH instruments are available well under the £1000 Triumph want for them and used ones can be found for under £100 if you are not bothered that the km distance covered will not be accurate to the true U.K. mileage. No CT (French version of U.K MOT Or roadworthy test if your not a U.K. based reader) so authorities wont check the bike again unless you get caught speeding.

The Triumph part number you need for a GT KPH instrument assembly is T2500666.
The part number is printed on the back along with the date.
Remember the GT has ABS and therefore a ABS warning light and although some ST’s had ABS the ST ABS instrument is pack has a different part number to the GT. and will not be of use.

A replacement instrument pack so Triumph tell me is a plug and go item , no reprogramming required like later models. This means a new speedo will read zero , the instrument stores the reading not the electronics on the bike . I assume a used instrument will read the km the bike it was removed from had travelled.

Hope this is help and thank you for replies and info .
David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts