Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I know it is a hell of a tile but seriously, has anyone ever ridden both and have an honest opinion of which is a better street bike? I have had twins (SV650) and have had my 750 since 06 when I bought her brand new. I love the power and all the top notch suspension and brakes. Lots of snap everywhere. Opposed to what people say the new inline 4's have a ton of down low power, this was actually my biggest fear when selling my 650 and getting the i4. I was pleasantly surprised that the 750 outperformed the 650 in the entire rpm range on torque.
Anyhow, I am not in my 20's anymore but rather in my mid 30's and the 750 is not that much fun on longer rides, especially slab rides to get to interesting roads. Put on a set of LSL superbike bars which are basically make the bars like a ST's (dirtbike bars) but that still left the hiked up rearsets even when in the lower position. My riding style is 75% city/burbs riding and 25% backroad ,slab and twistys (as much as IL offers at least). Entertaining the idea of getting something new to change things up a bit, Would the ST's feel like a 180 compared to the gixxer? I like the idea of better streetbike manners and am a believer or riding a slower bike fast is more fun that riding a fast bike slow. I guess the real question is, have I been spoiled and may consider the Street Triple a downgrade or is it a fun bike much like the SV was? Also how does the stock suspension on the ST's I am about 170lbs? The SV even after a few hundred dollars of fork and shock upgrades felt very unsettling at high speeds on sweepers where the 750 is totally at ease and planted at high speed sweepers, the trade off is that is can be rough on city streets. Any input for either side or any other suggestions appreciated. Last question, std. vs. R; do they both have the same ergo's as far as footpeg location?
Thanks for any input.

Under200

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
That's a lot of questions for one post, and is going to make it difficult for folks to answer all of them.

So far as the question relating to the Shiver, we had a recent thread on that which you might want to look up. The gist of it was that the writer was vastly more pleased with the Street.

Ergonomically, the differences between the standard and R models of the St3 are just a matter of millimeters here and there. Sounds to me as if you might be wanting to look more at the R.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would spend the money and get the "R". The stock Street Triple suspension is WAY too soft. I'm currently chasing a cheap method of non-adjustable suspension for my bike. Plus the "R" comes with a gel seat which IMO is significantly better than the stock seat. Ego's otherwise are the same between the two.

On the other up-side the "R" has radial mounted brakes and M/S providing decently better brakes. The only downside to the R IMO is poor color choices and I think all of them are a matte color.

The GSX-R750 is certainly faster than the Street Triple but the Striple surely isn't a "slow bike". I often find it really easy to speed on that thing with out realizing it. I would like to see them come with a steering damper or something because more times than not if I'm at 100% throttle at certain gears (like the top end of 3rd) i'll get a good amount of head shake which I can speed/power thru and getting on it hard in 1st (certainly) and 2nd will often find the front tire merely playing with the ground, if not getting aired out.

As far as street manners the Striple is really good. Tons of low end grunt and able to really pull from just about anywhere in the RPM range. The ergo’s decent for all day riding and it's not too uncomfortable. The throttle is really twitchy IE it's easy to rev the throttle over pumps and most Striples I’ve seen from the factory have a MILE of play in the twist grip.

All in all I'm really reasonably happy with the bike. It does need a few things tended to IMO but it’s nothing major, just expensive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would agree with Aaron's comparison of the striple to striple r - Seems to be what the masses have concluded on. Most posts on the topic have also said that unless you're an experienced enough rider, you'll probably not take advantage of the added benefit of the suspension on the r.

I personally can't get over the agility of the striple. Its so light and nimble. It filters through traffic with ease. I used to ride a shiver and despite the world claiming it had good handling, I think the striple wins the day and its nearly 70lbs lighter. Plus, I'm already finding I'm getting better mileage (I generally ride around the city). I easily get 200kms on a tank with the striple (was getting closer to 180km on the Shiver)....

So, despite a "smaller" engine, I'll reckon the lightness, quickness and agility makes the striple a hell of lot more fun than its larger engine peers...

As for ergos... was able to ride on it all day saturday with a few breaks in between... was on the bike from 9am till 6pm spare a lunch and a few petrol breaks.... ergos are fine for longer days riding...

·
Registered
904 Posts
At 170 pounds, the standard Striple's suspension should not be an issue unless you ride it like you're on a track. I'm not sure the R's suspension is as good as the Gixxer's - Suzuki has a nice bike there. Ergo's are definately going to suit your riding style better than the Gixxer. The Striple makes great power really quick then tops out around 140-ish. The 3 banger has a sweet torque band that is very usable in all gears.
Hard to say if you would miss your Gixxer or not, the Striple is a different animal, but I think would be more fun to ride on a daily basis than the super sport. I looked at the GSXR-600 and the ergos were just too aggressive for me. The SV-650 was on my short list, but the Triumph was more "polished" and had much more grunt. If you like the SV-650, I think the Striple is a very safe bet. :)

Neanderthal

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's a lot of questions for one post, and is going to make it difficult for folks to answer all of them.

So far as the question relating to the Shiver, we had a recent thread on that which you might want to look up. The gist of it was that the writer was vastly more pleased with the Street.
Yep... that was me!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have to agree with pretty much what everybody else has said.. the street is way more comfortable than the gixxer.. pretty much the entire crew i ride with has one, so going down the road i sing one of these things is not like the other.. i have ridden all three the 600,750 and 1000, all three are faster on the top end but the street will walk all over a 600 up to about 60.. i think my striple actually stops better than the all 3 of them. and at 170 the stock suspension will feel a little softer than the gixxer but for around town, dont you kinda want that

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info everyone. Thank you very much. Still open to any other opinions. Looks like I should get my butt to a dealer to demo one. As long as the ergos are the same on the R it looks to be the better deal. After modding my SV suspension I was about $800 into it and the bits were not near the quality of the Street Triple R spec. Sucks to pay more upfront but in the long run it saves cash. I am sure the stock suspension is great for those who weigh 140lbs or less but once I put all my gear on I am sure I am around 180.

Under200

·
Registered
904 Posts
......I am sure the stock suspension is great for those who weigh 140lbs or less but once I put all my gear on I am sure I am around 180.

Under200
I currently weigh 190 and the standard suspension is fine for me. I'm not a track participant so it's not getting pushed beyond normal daily riding requirements. I have yet to bottom it out. IMO, unless you are on bad roads or are really pushing the bike WAY beyond normal riding practices, the standard Striple is fine. Nothing against the R-spec bike, just don't get too caught up in the media-hype of the R. Soon they'll come out with an RR model and the previous two versions will be crap. :D

Neanderthal

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
And I weigh more than Neanderthal, and still have no issues with the suspension due to weight. The weight thing is something a number of people spout who have no direct experience of the bike under those conditions, or else have little background with older Triumphs or other minimally adjustable standards. Those of us who grew up on such bikes, before there were latest-greatest-fully-adjustable new sportbikes each year, tend to adapt ourselves to the feel of the bike, not expect it to be the other way around. Triumph really does understand how to make a one-size-fits-most bike work in the real world! The regular Street is a standard in the old sense of the word, not a naked Daytona.

Of course, if the track is your home, or you've grown up simply expecting a bike to feel a certain way to you, then you might well want all your rides to feel the same as your previous one. That's fine, and from your first post I perceived that you have such expectations, so I recommended the R for you.

But don't make the mistake of dismissing the standard version so glibly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very well put Diego. I know exactly where you are coming from. I will for sure try each model to see if the extra coin is worth it for me for the R. When I read your post it brought back memories of my first bike. It was a 02 SV650, had suspension as basic as it gets. Since I had nothing to compare it to I thought it had AMA superbike suspension. Felt so great up to around 90 on sweepers. I then added a few bits to the suspension. All of a sudden I could ride about 15 mph faster on the sweepers and still feel as planted or more. Of course the bike could go faster but did not feel as planted. Then I upgraded to the 750....Wow, where the SV felt like it was holding on for dear life the 750 felt like it was on a slow Sunday morning ride. I have never grew a set large enough to outride this package.

But to tell you the truth I sort of miss being able to actually ride the bike close to its limits where it felt challenging. Without taking a current SS bike to the track us mere mortals will never reach that limit. The new crop of SS bikes can make almost anyone seem like a superhero. Sounds like the ST may be a good blend of the two, not exactly a SS bike but light years beyond the SV. And most importantly the ST sounds as if it will be loads more fun on the actual street and backroads. Which is what it was designed for.

Under200

·
Registered
235 Posts
The SV650S has a great chassis, and a bargain basement suspension. Once I installed a nice Ohlins rear shock, and racetech goldvalve emulators plus betters springs in the front, the bike was very well planted. But the front was still non-adjustable. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
i weigh 190lbs with no gear on and i have owned both street triples i loved my standard street triple when i got it just as much as anybody loves their first bike but after i started to rack up 1000 miles or so i really wished i had some adjustability i did bottom the front end out on more then one occasion so i decided to turn my standard into an "R" slowly started with a daytona rear shock and it made a huge difference but just as i got around to doing the front some guy decided he doesn't like motorcycles and decided to try to kill me the bike was totaled i bought an "R" two weeks later and am so happy with it, the suspension and brakes are fantastic. on the first night i had the bike i rode further on that rear tire then ever had on the standard striple and it felt much easier to do so

one of my buddies i ride with has an SV and it seems to me that both bikes are very very comparable in the torque department but the street triple does has over 30hp more than the SV and thats where it pulls away at. although his bike is fun to ride i feel that the striple is a ball to ride on any fast roads

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a gsxr600K1 then a 600K5 before I bought my street. I've had it nearly 2 years now and still absolutely love it!. A recent test ride on a 600K8 was nice but wasn't enough to make me change back to a sportsbike. I will be keeping my street for a little while yet!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took a trip over to the dealer right after work today. Checked both the std and R versions. Just sat on them and talked with the dealer, didn't bring my riding gear plus it was rush hour which is not fun. He did say to come back and demo one though. If the weather cooperates I am going to try to get a demo in this Sat.
Gotta say that I really dig the bike. The R was a tiny bit taller and felt like it tipped you forward a degree or two. No big deal at all. Can't wait to demo the std.
I know whenever I bought my Japanese bikes (2 of them) new a fair price was always retail price out the door. Example suggested retail of 10k for a bike and I paid 10k with taxes setup etc.... Does that work the same for Euro bikes, particularly Triumph's?

Under200

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ok, so I just bought a new Street Triple R. I have ridden a GSX-R 600 and another friend's GSX-R 750 and an 07' Ninja ZX6R.

Here's my 2 cents. My preference is with the Street Triple. I feel like it makes so much more power down low like a twin, but it still revs like an inline 4. I can pretty much stay in 6th gear for pretty much everything and can pass cars and never have to shift down to hit 100mph passing somebody.

The 600cc Suzuki's felt very underpowered to me. I had to rev the **** out of it to get any power and felt like it was lugging the engine all the time. Plus the stretched out riding sucks in comparison even though there is more wind protection, it is still more comfortable on the Striple.

The 750 Suzuki I felt like had just the right amount of torque an it is the perfect size motor in my opinion. Makes great power all around, but the riding position sucks. To be honest I felt like my new Striple is just as powerful at that Gixxer. But it's been a while since I have been on the 750.

You won't be disappointed in the 675 triple performance. It is the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i went from a gsxrk6 1000 to a street r ,i have had more fun on the r than i had on my k6 .i am faster on the road and track i just love it ,the guys i ride with all have the latest 1000 s and i keep up easily fantastic go buy and have Fun. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had an 04 gsxr 600 two bikes ago. Great bike, but I wanted something more comfy, suited for city commuting, so I got an FZ1 followed by a supermoto, followed by the street triple.

The street is def more comfy ride with 85% of the performance of the gsxr. Consider that if you're going to be doing a lot of low speed, high traffic riding.

However, on the highway, the gsxr was a king compared to the striple. Wind protection, and mostly just overall stability. At higher rpm, the bike just felt much more planted, smoother, safer then the striple. On the striple, over 100 starts to feel scary, where on the gsxr after 120 was manageable. However, my riding doesn't include much highway.

If you go with the striple I strongly urge you to get the R. The stock suspension on the standard felt dangerous for me. I ended up upgrading to Daytona suspension all around.

EDIT: just realized this is a old post. sooooo... did you get it yet?

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
...I guess the real question is, have I been spoiled and may consider the Street Triple a downgrade or is it a fun bike much like the SV was?...
I "downgraded" from a 2009 Fireblade to my Striple R and am very happy. It's a little naked sportsbike in its heart and is mega-fun to ride.

OK, if I hadn't crashed and written off the Blade (NOT due to rider error and NOT due to excess speed I hasten to add), I'd probably still be on it, but fact is I love the Striple R.

Hope this input helps.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Trouble with the hard-core sportbikes is that they only feel comfortable at speeds where you will eventually lose your driver's license. Doing a push-up the rest of the time (because of the wind protection) is no fun. I don't find my R scary at all right up to a speed of 230kmph (rock steady) as long as one has the sense to crouch down on the tank above 180kmph. Twisty back roads are where the fun is but I'll leave the repli-racers to the young guys who don't get the aches and pains lol. - Wayne :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts