Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted a leaky Bonneville I would of bought a 60's Bonnie. I hate to say it but I am a bit piffed at my bike right now. It's still under warranty so the dealer can handle it but there is no way a bike that turned 6000kms (today btw) should be leaking.

Its puking oile from the valve cover on both sides leaking oil down into the spark plug valley's and the sender right by the oil filter is leaking. Plus my trip knob fell off my speedo and disappeared.

The tricky thing is that although I rode today if its at the dealer for a week there is no way I will be able to get it home as I have been just riding on luck as the weather has been up and down but no snow.

On a positive note it was 7 C today clear and no snow so I went for a ride after I thought that the season was over. Northern Alberta, end of November and I still rode today..... unbeleivable.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Had the same problem twice -

had the same problem...it was more of a seeping as Haggis said. not something noticeably causing my oil level to diminish, but more of an annoyance (especially as it collected by the spark plugs)

as many others did (I searched the forums for this one too a while ago), I took a strip of high temp black RTV silicone and used my finger to flatten it out between the manifold and cam cover.

*be sure to clean all residue oil off the lining, gasket, etc before laying the strip down, otherwise I found it was pointless. (had to do it 2x)

side note: mine was still under warranty, but this took me 20 min to do and was back on the road in less than a week (standard turn around for the dealers around here, even for something that simple)

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
It's the most common problem with the twins.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Leaking valve cover gasket is not uncommon, and is very easy to fix. There are many threads on this - use the search function.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's still under warranty so it will go in have them do it. Plus they need to put the black valve cover back on that they promised me a while ago.

It is just seeping but looks dirty and old. My Triple is tight as a drum even after 30,000kms but my twin is leaking. I am not looking for a solution I was just venting. I know how to fix valve covers and use the search engine but thanks anyway.

It is more of a principle thing..... Oh well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The exact same seepage was happening to mine. I brought it to the dealership while it was under warranty and the mechanic stated that this might have happened because the bike was new and that the valve cover needed some tightening.

I was cleaning her up yesterday and noticed that the seeping continues to exist.

I will search the forum as billstokes has suggested.

Part of me does not mind the light seepage. I tell myself "its a Triumph", like its expected. :bs: A larger part of me, however, agrees with Calliway that it is the principle of the matter, and on more than one level. If Triumph is expected to successfully compete with the likes of other manufacturers today, and survive as a company, it needs to improve quality control at every opportunity. If an owner can solve the problem in 20 minutes time then the factory should be able to provide the preemptive strike.

I wonder if any of Triumph's big dogs read this forum....

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Do not overtighten the valve cover. 10NM.

·
29,945 Posts
It is NOT acceptable that there is an oil leak. As has already been said, this is a common issue on these bikes. The gasket is typically replaced under warranty. My advice, get onto the dealer, and get them to get a gasket in, and schedule the work so that you don't have to leave the bike there long. Obviously tricky for you Calliway, with winter hitting and not knowing when a decent day is going to be. Might be best to wait until spring.

I had some weeping on my cam cover, and fixed it myself. I removed the gasket, and carefully cleaned both surfaces, before refitting. Care must be taken, as the screws that hold the cam cover down can strip out the threads in the camshaft caps very easily. As Balto says, 10 NM AND NO MORE.

There are links to a couple of threads about this oil leak in the "great source of info" sticky at the top of the forum.

I recommend looking in the "great source of info" sticky. It really is a great source of information, believe it or not. :D

·
29,945 Posts
That is true. The gasket should (in theory) be able to seal the perimeter on its own. If installed right, it will. When installed by a snotty nosed oik of a technician in bike shop, the chance of correct sealing is reduced.

A thin bead of RTV will guard against that - and it only needs to be thin.

As for helicoils - they are great. I considered helicoiling all my cam caps when I did the service. I have designed quite a few pieces of industrial machinery - and there are times when I specify helicoils right out of the gate, because they are stronger than the parent metal.

This is one time where they have an ideal useage situation. Oh yes. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I will ahve the dealer deal with it because for me, this a principle thing and the best way for Triumph to know about it if for them to fix and pay for it. Warranties are tracked and nothing gets tracked if I do it myself. Issue is warranty is over in April and it might not be rideable yet..... Maybe I will just trailer it up to them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No leaks or puking oil with mine, but it does kind of seep in a few places. My dealer feels part of the cause of the seeping is the synthetic oil (more capillary effect or something) which they say is the reason they use dino oil in their service department.

If the dealer says it's okay to use it, I'm going to stick with my old favorite GTX and change it every 3k or so.

They tell me that since THEY are my warranty, not to worry about it.

If your bike has a regular LEAK going, they should definitely take care of it under warranty. Hang on to your warranty receipts in case it comes back later!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to my stock 05 thruxton which is just about to hit 4k. I've had the bike for almost a year and it only had 780 miles on it. Out of the blue it just starting leaking/seeping from the cam covers. Seems a little strange that all four corners just sart seeping at the exact same time.

I was going to take it to my dealer here in Atlanta but I just got back from Mexico and I hear that they went out of business. I hate to hear that. So I guess I'll do it myself. I'm assuming the tank has to come off. How hard is this?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
...........So I guess I'll do it myself.
I'm assuming the tank has to come off.
How hard is this?
Take the tank off and shift the coil which sits above the cover out of the way.
Bend the throttle cable "noodles" a little to make more room.
Use any sort of gasket-goo, both in the seal groove on the cover and also on the face of the seal.
And dont overtighten the the cover screws when you put it all back!!
10Nm and no more!!
Job done.

But all thats already been said...........

V.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bloody leaks

I had the same problem with my '08 Bonnie, irritated the hell out of me. There were two leaks, one from a galley-plug, very slight leak and like you, around the spark plug valleys.

I could have taken the bike back to the dealer to fix under warranty but I don't trust the quality of workmanship (or lack of) in LA so I paid my indy mechanic to fix it.

Quality control in the UK must be getting back to 70's standards...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts