Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Triumph England

It would be greatly appreciated if you can bring forward the person who designed the seat attachment bolt arrangement on the 05+ Sprint ST, so that we may line up to take turns in kicking his nuts.

Many thanks in advance,

Warm regards,
azicat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't screw the seat in and just click it into place, isn't there a risk of the seat sliding off when accelerating / going up a hill / any other backwards force on the seat?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Took my screws out the first day. No problems. Plus, instant acess to the battery, etc...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hey guys. Granted that the design is far less than optimal, but with some practice and I guess maybe some 'break-in' with the bolts and fastners, it does get A LOT better. I can have mine off or on in a minute or two. Heck, it takes me longer to fish out the allen key from the tool pouch! :-D

[ This message was edited by: KevyKev on 2006-11-21 09:45 ]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Or, just relax a little. I swear the more anxious you are about the bolts, the harder it is to get them in. Now I expect them to be easy and they're always a piece of cake. Expectations go a long way.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
a silly minor oversight on a fantastic bike.

Kev is right - a little practice does make it easier.

The trick is to put the screws in without the seat in place so that you make make a mental note of the angle they go in at.Then remove them,fit the seat, and screw them in again - at the correct angle.

I owned bikes in the 1970s that had good simple hinged seat access and keylocks - its like they've tried to reinvent the wheel :???: My 1970s bikes also had helmet locks.

Grant :cool:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yep Yep. I feared removing the seat due to this fact and the words said. I paid attention to the way it went back together and find it quite easy to remove and reinstall the seat quickly. I agree a turn-key would be nice, but far from the horror I read about here and on other boards. My seat is on or off within 5 minutes with the screws properly installed. The angle is the key like stated above. It's really not hard...

·
Registered
18 Posts
What makes this a piece of cake to do is to get you a set of these and a 6" extension for your socket wrench. The socket in the screw head is deep enough that the allen head fits secure and along with the the extension, you can direct the screw to whatever angle it needs to be.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Didn't these engineeers "try" their design before they ok'd it for production??
When the SPRINTS on a dealership showroom floor don't have the screws in the seat it tells you something!! :hammer:

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not the angle of the bolts or the location so much that makes the seat so hard to install... it's the stupid flimsy tabs they attach the nuts on that bend when you start to thread the bolts. Why they couldn't have just tapped out the metal is beyond me.... pure stupid. :mad:

·
Registered
929 Posts
one bolt in. the other stubborn one is my back up.

once your side bag and braces are on...
here's where the whole thing gets really stupid:

Say you have that nice triumph tankbag (it has a leather tank cover) the whole thing amplifies into a big pain in the ass:

1) remove seat

2) option 1: remove hardbag braces now...
or
option2 : pry back the front tank side of the plastic side covers (ever so lightly) while fiddlef*cking the bolts out... yes just to take off the leather tank cover.

why: I dont want my tank bag on all the time. and I definitely dont want the black bra on it when the bags off. when do I see that nice silver tank???

double nut kick worthy.

grrrr.
:mad:

·
Registered
354 Posts
On 2006-11-22 11:33, Eddiemack wrote:
It's not the angle of the bolts or the location so much that makes the seat so hard to install... it's the stupid flimsy tabs they attach the nuts on that bend when you start to thread the bolts. Why they couldn't have just tapped out the metal is beyond me.... pure stupid. :mad:
EXACTLEY!
Evidently not enough people are complaing to Triumph customer service about this poor design or they'd probably change it.
Sometimes people complain but not to the right people.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree.

How hard would it have been to make the seat with 2 little scalloped areas over the bolts? It's not as if the pillion's bum would notice.

As for the clips - that's the problem I had, they bent to all buggery when I tried to screw the bolts back in. I had to undo the whole ducktail to remove the clips for reshaping. How much would a better clip / screw nut have cost? 50c?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts