Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on my way home from work early and in a good mood, just came off a freeway onto a side road - and promptly got cut off by an a$$hat in a big SUV who didn't look before merging into the left lane in front of me. To avoid colliding with him, I used some brake, started to skid, then swerved/slid to the left quick like I was on a BMX dirtbike, and to avoid from coming down too hard on my left ankle I laid the bike down momentarily.

Immediately pulled it up, put it on the sidestand, and started stalking quickly towards the SUV - who got a green light and sped off while looking all scared at me through his side view mirror. Probably the best thing for all concerned, 'cause I was momentarily angry enough to have beaten the crap out of him with lots of people watching.

All I did was scratch the edge of one of my billy bar pegs, the shifter peg, and some of the plastic on my (new, but cheapo Emgo) left mirror. Only other fallout was a slightly tender left ankle. For my first time laying the bike down, I'll take it.

But can you believe that moron?

Jeff

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you're alright jeffz, I hope I have your reflexes when it happens to me. Nice riding.
This may be adrenaline talking, but I'm actually feeling more confident in my riding after this as opposed to feeling rattled or like I want to stay away from the bike. I think I did the only thing I could have to avoid further injury or damage to the bike (in that order). I almost could have kept the bike up, but I think I might have a sprained or broken ankle now if i had tried.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Nice save...

sorry about that but put things in perspective...no real damage done.I was put in the hospital for 3 weeks and still cant walk right and havent worked in a year after a bad driver pulled an illegal U- turn in front of me.
Thank goodness you didnt beat the crap out of someone for cutting you off.
You DO realize that they are all out to kill you ,right?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Minor Down

Nice acrobatics!!! I couldnt have done that w/ this old worn out bod!! Lucky no damage to the bike, & probably luckier the guy sped away or you might be in the clink for manslaughter!! I know I woulda been! Gotta hate those people!!! Bet he had a call phone to his ear~! Write it off to experience & carry a paint ball gun w/ quick dry epoxy next time? Me & an old (now deceased) ridin buddy had a threesome on a day trip to lunch! 1 old man that ran for the 1st gated community he could find, & 2 bitches w/ cell phones glued to their ears! The only thing ya can do to them is ride @ lites along side & rev a lot while giving the death look!! Bee cool dude & ride safe!!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The important thing is that you're in one piece. The offending article was probably watching their sat-nav or on-board video - or god forbid THIS:
http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/story/?nID=47562
Cute, but I'd appreciate more a system that b*^(#-slaps someone when they run a traffic signal or turns on their cell in a car. The term "full and complete stop" out here is found only on accident reports. You know, when the LEO has to write, "failed to do a full and complete stop before pulling out in front of incoming traffic and causing an accident."

That, and turn signals....yelled at a driver the other day (after he cut me off no less that THREE TIMES!!!) that he won't get any more for his car when he sells it by claiming the turn signals "are new, never used."

Actually, what I said was more along the lines of, "your WIDOW won't get any more for the car...... :D

Derswede
(pondering active response systems for such occasions....DE .50 cal??)

·
Registered
509 Posts
What meatwagon said - count your blessings. About 10 years ago I got rear ended by a taxicab, who ran off after I got up and started screaming at him and flung my helmet at him. Had to chase him up 10th Avenue then jump into his window, reach in and grab the keys out of the ignition to get him to stop. Luckily no real damage to the bike and a cop who was a biker saw the whole thing. Cops wanted me to press charges but I refused a ride in an ambulance and rode away after getting the guys insurance information. Believe it or not, a passenger in another taxi who had to stop short to avoid hitting me asked for a ride in the waiting ambulance because he claimed whiplash!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Best response...

to a dumb-a$$ driver I ever saw: many years ago (OK, I was on my '72 T500J Titan, and it was new!) I was out for an October ride in the Detroit area. Sitting at a light waiting to turn left, I watched a bicyclist do everything correct at the intersection, and then a guy in a brand-new Lincoln rolled the red light and turned right. Ran right over the bicyclist! The car had to stop, and the bicyclist - apparently unhurt - jumped up, grabbed his now-pretzeled bike, and beat the living crap out of the Lincoln's brand-new hood! Then he put what was left of the bike under his arm and strolled off...

Glad you came through it OK, Jeffz!

Regards,
XLXRider

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've got a 'militant city cyclist' mate in Bristol who's had pointed titanium bar ends made - and he's left some nice pin-stripes on idiot car owner's doors. Serve 'em right - most car drivers (those who've never driven anything except a car) think they're bloody invincible and drive like it. I still think there should be a compulsory six months on 2 wheels before they're allowed to buy a car.
At the point I left the UK there was a ridiculous number of tests and hoops to jump though to ride a large capacity bike. Meanwhile 17 year old idiots can pass their car test and jump straight into any bloody high-powered sports car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts