Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at this modification to the combustion chamber in an engine.
I'd love to hear some comments, especially from those of you who are into engine works......
It looks viable to me, I know peening intake passages and heads works almost the same way but this is a new appoach and superbly simple...

http://somender-singh.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Turbulence vs non-turbulence, dimpling vs polishing has been an on-going debate for a long time. Unfortunately, few have conducted a relevant scientific experiment with a valid control to prove either theory. Most people doing these types of mods are doing a whole collection of other performance mods as well, making it difficult to ascertain the true benefit.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toronto

Turbulence vs non-turbulence, dimpling vs polishing has been an on-going debate for a long time. Unfortunately, few have conducted a relevant scientific experiment with a valid control to prove either theory. Most people doing these types of mods are doing a whole collection of other performance mods as well, making it difficult to ascertain the true benefit.
Hey Marc,
How is old "T.O." these days? I spent some great summers there in the early 70's, I remember a neat park down on the bayfront and a music festival, I think Mariposa? where I had gotten some food and sat down, started eating and as it dawned on me, Gordon Lightfoot sitting across the table eating as well, talked to him at length....
Night life was wonderful, I've never felt so safe walking around in the wee hours in downtown....was a great place.....good memories.
koi

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
It's definitely a nice city. Lots of fun. I'm there a few times a month - rarely for pleasure though :(

·
Registered
438 Posts
Have you ever overheard a conversation where someone was talking like they knew what they were talking about, but you know they were completely wrong? The "facts" make it sound plausible, but ultimately the reasoning is incorrect. For example, if someone said that motorcycles are so fast because their cross section was so much smaller than a car. "Gee golly, why look at it. It's so tiny that it hardly has any air to push out of the way." That's what this reminds me of.

It may work, but all they have is speculation. Unfortunately, they present their case with a lot of emotion and wildly uncontrolled evidence gathering. This only reduces their credibility. Notice in the "Introduction to Groove Theory" page, they have Before and After pictures of a cylinder head. The After picture shows that the head has been milled, quite a bit actually. It's possible with even the grooving, they upped the compression slightly. We don't know if they used a compensatory head gasket. Also, it's likely that the head was run less miles than when the Before picture was taken. Certainly, the engine was more carefully attended to between the Before and After periods.

It really makes me wonder if they're stupid... or think i am. Do believe that what they presenting is real proof? Do they think i'd believe it is?

I can make up my own equally plausible speculation... You see it has nothing to do with directing squish gasses at the spark plug or maintaining long mixture swirl. The REAL reason it works is because it's preventing the pressure and suction when two flat surfaces come into close proximity of each other.

It's like when you take two big flat sheets of metal and you squish them together. All that air pressure that builds up slows you down from putting them together. The air in the middle has to rush all the way out to the sides. Suction keeps you from pulling them apart. You have to let the air rush all the way back in the middle.

What the grooves REALLY do is make a closer "edge" for air to escape to. The air only has to travel a short distance to and from the channel instead of across a wide flat area. This reduces pressure AND suction. That's TWO TIMES as efficient! 8)

As the piston gets close to TDC, the flat top of the piston and flat area of the head start building pressure. Like those two flat sheets, it gets hard to squeeze them together quickly. Like a brake, this causes the piston to slow down. Then when the piston comes back down, the suction makes it slow down even more! It's amazing engines run at all, but the car companies don't want to make them efficient so you'll buy more gas.

So now you know the real reason it works. It prevents pressure and suction from building when the two flat areas are near each other.

Please, don't believe that.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Those magnets are good, but The Vortex adds more horsepower. I know you'd think there would be less because you're adding an obstruction to the intake, but it makes a mini tornado. Nothing sucks like a tornado!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts