Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until this week, I was wondering how the hell people were getting their Thruxtons leaned over enough to scrape the pegs.

Eventhough I was using up all of the stock tyres, I never once had any metal contact the ground.

This changed the other day though, and I quite easily touched down my right peg and make a bit grinding sound. Caught me by surprise a little I must say, but I was pretty pleased with myself! :p

These new tyres obviously make a big difference!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been scrapin my sidi's while leaned over shifting up exiting corners lately. It is always a surprising and great feeling at the same time. I took those feeler pegs off long ago, the bike is lighter with out them.:D

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Up until this week, I was wondering how the hell people were getting their Thruxtons leaned over enough to scrape the pegs.

Eventhough I was using up all of the stock tyres, I never once had any metal contact the ground.

This changed the other day though, and I quite easily touched down my right peg and make a bit grinding sound. Caught me by surprise a little I must say, but I was pretty pleased with myself! :p

These new tyres obviously make a big difference!
So... what tyres did you go with and are they the OE sizes?

·
Registered
96 Posts
... the bike is lighter with out them.:D
When shaving weight, leave no stone unturned!
Might I also suggest removing the valve stem covers....less rotating mass!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So... what tyres did you go with and are they the OE sizes?
They are Pirelli Sport Demons. 150/70/17 on the back and 110/80/18 up front.

They are so much more confidence inspiring it's not funny.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
They are Pirelli Sport Demons. 150/70/17 on the back and 110/80/18 up front.

They are so much more confidence inspiring it's not funny.
Thanks Matress, any idea how the new sizes effect the odo/speedo readings?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Why are the Metzlers horible ?? I have been grinding my boots away (even though i am tucking them in) with the Metzllers on for 3 months now and never had a problem or any feeling of uncertainty ???? Tearing em to shreads and loving it, lol.

·
Registered
613 Posts
A lot of people had problems with the stock metzlers on earlier models, myself included. The bike would have a wobbling effect/vibration at around a certain speed...usually around 55 to 65 mph as well as a tracking problem with certain road conditions. I switched to the sport demons about 3 years ago and it is the best thing i've done to the bike so far. I noticed the other day that the moto guzzi v7 cafe racer comes stock with the pirelli sport demons.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
293 Posts
Good to hear about the Pirelli Demons as I just ordered them at the local shop to replace some Bridgestones (which I actually like a lot but I got a deal on the Pirellis). I liked my original 2004Metzelers but didn't like the set that replaced them (and stay away from Avons).

How do some of you guys scrape boots without scraping pegs? I did that only once when I shifted in the middle of a curve.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
A lot of people had problems with the stock metzlers on earlier models, myself included. The bike would have a wobbling effect/vibration at around a certain speed...usually around 55 to 65 mph as well as a tracking problem with certain road conditions. I switched to the sport demons about 3 years ago and it is the best thing i've done to the bike so far. I noticed the other day that the moto guzzi v7 cafe racer comes stock with the pirelli sport demons.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Righto then, mine is a 2012 model and there are no problems with the handling so far.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Righto then, mine is a 2012 model and there are no problems with the handling so far.
Maybe they aren't old enough yet. How many miles have yours done? Mine felt like riding on wood by the time I changed them at 10,000km. The chilly Melbourne temperatures probably didn't help their grip either.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I've got about 3500 km's on mine and my mate who bought his at the same time has about 5000km's on his, no issues at all. We have both ground our boots down enough to have to think about buying new ones. I don't think either of us will get 10,000 km's out of them, maybe 6 or 7000 km's if we are lucky.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're making me jealous! I've been stuck in the daily grind of commuting on my bike lately. I'm itching for some good weather and twisty roads.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I think they are a great motorcycle, i used to think my S3 (which i still own) was the best road bike I've ever ridden but this tiny thing is just so much fun. My mate and i waited for a bunch of sports bike riders to take off on the weekend and by the end of the run through the twisties we were in front of all of them. It's just so much fun to pass someone on a 150 hp bike when you only have 68 hp to use. It makes everything all about the rider and not the bike. I love this little thing.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thanks Matress, any idea how the new sizes effect the odo/speedo readings?
I have had both Metzeler Roadtech Z6's and am now on the Avon Storm 2 Ultra's. Both are vastly superior to the stockers with the Avon's the best of the bunch by far! Just ask the hard parts on my bike :eek:

Here are the OD's for both and you can see they are within a few MM of the OE's (637):

Roadtec Z6 -
110/80ZR18 (front) TL 58W 632

Avon Storm 2 Ultra -
110/80ZR18 (front) (58W) 631

So at less than 1% difference you aren't gonna see anything on the speedo or odometer.... I haven't ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
for the folks touching pegs - how heavy are you and where do you have your preload set?

I'm just over 200 with gear, '12 thruxton, 3rd stiffest option on rear, flush with 2nd line from top on front. I've ridden the tires beyond the edge with never a slip or concerning moment and have yet to touch a peg

only got 6,000 miles out of the tires front was worn more than rear which is really crazy to me. I'm really easy on fronts and normally go 2 rears-1 front with ease

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
for the folks touching pegs - how heavy are you and where do you have your preload set?

I'm just over 200 with gear, '12 thruxton, 3rd stiffest option on rear, flush with 2nd line from top on front. I've ridden the tires beyond the edge with never a slip or concerning moment and have yet to touch a peg

only got 6,000 miles out of the tires front was worn more than rear which is really crazy to me. I'm really easy on fronts and normally go 2 rears-1 front with ease
I'm about 80kg. I have Ikon shocks on the rear, with the collars about 35mm from the bottom of the thread, and set to number 4 rebound. The front fork preload is set half in/half out.

Are you still on the stock tyres? I was getting off the edge of them and hadn't had any metal touch the ground.

·
Registered
53 Posts
yes, that was on the oem metzlers. grip was fine - no complaints other than I thought they wore out too quickly. ;-)

I replaced them with Avon's up one size front and rear - getting nowhere near the edge now but everything feels fine. they seem to stick just fine without following the rain grooves like the OEMs did

1 - 20 of 23 Posts