Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While i was changing the fork lower tubes with those from a Kawasaki (so I would have caliper mounts on both sides) I ground the fork stops to decrease the turning radius. I used a small electric side grinder

Stock, you have two choices when trying to make a tight low speed turn and hit the stop; go faster or turn less.

Yes, the fork stops serve an important function; stop the forks from hitting the radiator. If there is another function, i haven't figured it out yet. Maybe someone will put me straight. Anyway, I carefully ground each side, systematically checking that the forks would not hit the radiator. On the Legend, there is no chrome on the radiator; if that is a shroud on other models, it might limit how much can be ground away.

Results; if I'm trying to do trials type tight turns, I can still hit the stops. But now I can easily do u-turns on two lane blacktop roads.

Just an option to consider.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I also did this to my Adventurer, and it made a phenomenal difference for the better at low speed, tight turning circumstances. I did, however, experience a strange wire shorting problem later on that was located up near the steering neck (right side) and may have been caused by not having enough slack in the harness for the tighter turning radius. Just a heads up.
Greg

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also did this to my Adventurer, and it made a phenomenal difference for the better at low speed, tight turning circumstances. I did, however, experience a strange wire shorting problem later on that was located up near the steering neck (right side) and may have been caused by not having enough slack in the harness for the tighter turning radius. Just a heads up.
Greg
Important point to make! Yes, the loom can get pinched if you don't take measures to keep it out of the way. I used quick ties to loosely position the harness on both sides to stay out of the way.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It seems that it wasn't so much that the harness got pinched, but that it got stretched out when turning left. The factory splices in the harness up in that area are *junk*. Untape one, and you'll see for yourself. No solder, just one wire wrapped around the other, then taped over.
I would still recommend this mod, though, as the benefits far outweigh the problem.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Possibility if you ever change your bars for lower ones, they or the levers may knock on the tank.

----------------
Ride on ! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts