Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thrilled to make this first post to a forum from which I've already learned much! I am the (overly) proud owner of a 2012 Bonneville SE, bought a week ago and already feeling like a member of the family. I love this bike!

I have wanted a Triumph since 1978, when, as an impoverished college student, I made the reluctant decision to make the "practical" choice and pick a Honda Hawk 400 as my first bike, and not the thumping, leaky, flickering Triumph that made my heart go pitter-patter. ;) I logged many carefree (and careless--75 MPH in the rain among big-rig trucks, never thinking twice about it!) miles on that Honda, then left the two-wheeled world for nearly 5 decades.

Now, as a 53-year-old geezer, I finally got the Triumph I always wanted, and I couldn't be happier about it. I look forward to logging many miles on this wonderful bike, and many hours on this super-helpful resource known as the triumph rat.net.

Anyone near Chicago or southern WI who is willing to ride at a pace faster than too slow but slower than too fast, :D send me a PM or reply to this post--I'm always looking for an excuse to go for a ride, and there's at least a month of decent weather left.

And to all: enjoy your Triumph!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Welcome! Thanks, I DID enjoy my Triumph today. The good thing about Florida is while the rest of the country is in their riding season during the summer months, here it's too wet and pretty damn hot and muggy to ride but the rest of the year is great! So in my mind I took the first ride of Florida's riding season!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm envious, echoraven! I lived in Collier County for 3 years in the mid-'80s (jeez, everything makes me feel old lately!) and still miss it. I was working as a freelance writer then, so my "work attire" consisted of a loose t-shirt and comfortable shorts, so I didn't even mind the hot summer months too much. Still remember how long it took to clean bugs off after the run across the Tamiami Trail to Miami, though--don't miss that part at all. Enjoy and appreciate your season, and dedicate at least one ride to all us soon-to-be-frozen northerners!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Welcome and enjoy from another old guy. Has the mod bug bitten yet? Watch out for that it's a sickness.
BTW, you're not a white sox fan are ya?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thruxtonbill, in this little corner of the world our baseball allegiances are formed before we take our first steps. In my case, family lore has it that my father placed a pint-sized Cubs hat in my crib the day I came home from the hospital. Whether true or not, it is safe to say that I was raised a Cubs fan and remain so today. Unlike many other Chicagoans, however, I harbor no ill will towards the Cubs crosstown rivals. So, I am a fan of the Cubs and a semi-fan of the Sox.

This discussion reminds me of what's bad about living in Chicago: IMO all the fun stuff happens in the few short months of summer. Motorcycles, baseball, lakes as water to jump in not just look at--it all exists from May to September, then vanishes for eight months. It's going to be a long winter!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Welcome aboard Bob D.

Down by Joliet over here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome, neutraldrop.

If I'm interpreting your location code correctly, I bought my bike in your hometown, at Schlossmann. I live north of Chicago so Milwaukee was not much farther than the Illinois dealers, and definitely a more pleasant trip than the traffic-choked streets between my house and Villa Park or downtown Chicago.

I hope to be bringing the bike back to Milwaukee soon for the 500 mile service (and the freedom to leave some of the break-in restrictions behind me).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheelhorse, thanks for the post. The more Triumph riders around Chicago that I hear about, the better. :) If you are aware of any gatherings or rides in the area where Triumphs are featured or welcomed, let me know--everything I come across is pretty much all Harleys.

Great name for your bike, BTW! It just fits a Bonnie SE perfectly, somehow.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My best bud has a 2011 Blue/White SE as well. I usually just ride with my dad who is a classic Suzuki GS guy. I also have a classic GS, but speaking of our riding pace I'd say we ride at a moderate pace. I find 5-10mph over out on the country back roads to be sufficient enough to keep awake, but not too fast to be labeled as a hooligan.

Shame you aren't closer. Pops (54 years old) and I (33) will go out for a few hours on a Saturday once a month just to get together. There's some sweet riding out west of my place.

Maybe next riding season I can organize a Starved Rock ride for some guys who are some what close.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I would jump at the opportunity to join in a run to Starved Rock. Several years ago I actually organized a trip to Starved Rock for a car club that I was a part of, and we had a great time. It can be a very scenic and enjoyable trip, and the park and lodge are nice facilities as well.

My sister lives in Plainfield and I visit her several times a year, so I am somewhat familiar with the general Joliet area. Although Joliet is not exactly next door to me, it doesn't feel so far away that I would be hesitant to make the trip. So definitely count me as one vote in favor of a semi-organized group ride to Starved Rock, and if you and your dad are open to another old guy joining you on one of your monthly jaunts sometime, let me know and maybe that would work out as well. And by the way, consider yourself very lucky to be able to ride with your dad--I love my father, but we have few interests in common and I think I have better odds of winning the lotto twice in a row than ever seeing him on a motorcycle. :)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Welcome Bob I live pretty close & pm'd you A 240 mile run next sat. If you don't have 500 mi by then you probably will after the run. Congrats on the new bike. I to quit riding while raising a family & now that the kids are grown up I'm riding again & what a pleasant surprise to find triumph making bikes again. Oh yea, how bout some pic's?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, neutraldrop.

If I'm interpreting your location code correctly, I bought my bike in your hometown, at Schlossmann. I live north of Chicago so Milwaukee was not much farther than the Illinois dealers, and definitely a more pleasant trip than the traffic-choked streets between my house and Villa Park or downtown Chicago.

I hope to be bringing the bike back to Milwaukee soon for the 500 mile service (and the freedom to leave some of the break-in restrictions behind me).
Let me tell you a secret: I'm an ex-FIB who's seen the light. Join us. We'll have some brats and beer for you. And maybe you'll learn what it's like to have a QB that can pass the ball. :D

I got my bike from Schlossman's too. Chris sold me my bike. Have you been in their new place? it's very nice. Or maybe you've never been to their old place. If'n you don't feel like trekking that far, Shoreline Motorsports in Kenosha isn't too bad either. I feel spoiled, having 2 Triumph dealers nearby. I want to check out Team Triumph outside Madison as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, haven't checked this thread in a little while, nice to see more locals (and semi-locals!) posting.

Steve, thanks for the welcome and the info. I responded to your PM and hope to be able to go on at least part of the ride on the 6th.

Neutraldrop, I was a WI resident for about 7 years, so I've played on both sides of the fence. :) There are pluses and minuses to each, but I do admit to missing lots about America's Dairyland. I hope to use my new Bonnie as an excuse to spend more time there.

You are *so* correct about the new Schlossmann vs. the old place. I was at the old place once and there was barely room to park my car. ;-) I bought my bike at the new place on September 15th and there was an adventure-riders talk, an open house and at least two other mini-events going on and it still didn't feel crowded. A great facility with friendly people, although a bit slow on paperwork processing for we out-of-staters.

I knew about the dealer in Madison (and I think Janesville too, right?) but had no idea there was a Triumph dealer in Kenosha. Definitely have to check that out--an excuse for a little road trip!

When I was a kid, a Triumph dealer in these parts was often a rare thing, and many were based out of tiny shops with two Triumphs and one dog-eared copy of last year's brochure. :) My, how times have changed--and the bikes don't even leak continuously, and the headlights work every time! Progress is sometimes a wonderful thing....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my bike at the new place on September 15th
No way, I was there on the 15th. I was there noonish, right before the adventure riding thing started.

Shoreline is on 32, south of HobNob restaurant. I think 32 around Zion/Waukegan is under construction, at least a couple of weeks ago when I tried to take it all the way to Chicago. It should be pretty clear up until Racine.

A great facility with friendly people, although a bit slow on paperwork processing for we out-of-staters.
I don't think it's just out of staters. I thought I got a free bike up until recently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts