Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, collected my 885i Tiger a couple of weeks back and looking forward to adding a few miles and smiles. Have had a quick look round the forum and you seem like a pretty helpful bunch... must be the choice of bike... keeps you in good moods:)
My varied recent bike history includes amongst others ,Yamaha 900 Diversion, Honda Varadero, Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Yamaha XJR1300,Yamaha TDM900... lets hope with the Tiger I have found something I actually want to keep!! ( Unless I like it so much that I just must have a 955 of course! )
Will no doubt be asking lots of questions once I have ridden a few miles and found the bits which dont work....:confused: They must be there somewhere!

Chris:D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome to the fray I hope that you are right & that the Tiger is the one that finally gets you to the point of having found a keeper. I think you will get answers to most if not all of your questions from the guys on here. Sometimes not the answers you were expecting but mostly good.

The 955 packs a bit more punch & is better sorted in a couple of areas but the 885 was & is a great machine.

Have fun.

·
Registered
226 Posts
welcome

hi welcome and happy riding i've got a 955i 06 model love it its great 885 is a great bike my brother in law has one but he's upgrading to a 1050i but keeping his old bike can't seem to part with it cheers and happy Christmas and great new year :D

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum :):)

I'm keen to know what you thought of the "Vera Duckworth" and the TDM ??

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi Stoph, take no notice of the 955 guys the 885`s will keep up them:p Keep us posted on your preferance tho - TDM or 885? cos I do like those TDM`s :eek:

Also check out the Chester RAT if you fancy a bimble:)

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Greetings Stoph, Hope your time on the forum is enjoyable.

Newbies get to shout the first round you know, so that's three rounds today at last count :D

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Welcome on board, Stoph!

Yep, The Tiger and this forum are both excellent and essentials for modern life.

Whereabouts in Cheshire are youy? I live in Barnton, near Northwich, so maybe we could meet up sometime?

Cheers,
Jon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for all the warm welcomes, :)

Couple of responses....

Jon... was in Northwich this morning! I am in Knutsford so would be good to meet up sometime... give us a shout if you know in advance that you're off for a ride....

Graeme/Pete H.... TDM thoughts... still have it, 54 plate, but its presently for sale, my second TDM900 and much better than the first 'newer' example I had... Very Light to handle, go quite well, nice smooth motor for a twin, minimum 60mpg, lots of legroom, very well finished and cheap to buy secondhand... usual buffeting issues with standard screen, double bubble fixes that, LOVES long smooth sweepers but can get a bit bouncy on poorer surfaces, definitely a 'sportier' ride than my tiger, good fun if in the mood for a thrash in comfort but bit choppy when bimbling around backroads where at low revs you will find the fuelling can be a bit temperamental. Earlier models had softer suspension/less precise handling. Oh and teh headlights are Cr*p!

Graeme, Only had the Vara for about 3 months last winter and covered about 1000 miles on it... smoothest big V-twin i have ever ridden and supremely comfortable with loads of space for rider and pillion,excellent standard seat, averaged around 44 mpg. Very good weather protection and ride comfort with ok handling... HEAVY..245kg dry means you think about parking facing the right way on hills etc...Fantastic headlights and made quite a nice noise too,200 miles between stops easy, needed a screen change as vibration at 70mph enough to give you blurred vision after a bit... I'm 6'4".... only sold it as money was tight and somebody offered £500 more than I paid for it... couldnt say no!

Just to complete the set... V-Strom 1000, big, fast, comfortable, brings out the animal in you!!! excellent headlights, awful finish, exceedingly loud fitted with race cans and no baffles:eek:

As for the question TDM or 885.... dont know yet, done about 50 miles on the tiger so far on greasy horrible roads so reserving judgement but on first impressions, 885 softer than the TDM even with Hagon springs on front,TDM better handling..maybe I just need to get used to that bigger front wheel on the 885... 885 def smoother and makes a nice noise but torque curve must be a straight line as theres no noticeable 'surge' in acceleration anywhere its all very linear... may change my opinion when I have chance to go further on better roads... might also decide it needs an exhaust and Off Road tune.... anybody know if theres a noticeable improvement on the 885 with off road tune and what its likely to cost??

Chris:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
hi, stoph, and welcome.

you should take your tiger on the frosty rollocks run this weekend.....or are you using it as a showcase for the 900?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hi, stoph, and welcome.

you should take your tiger on the frosty rollocks run this weekend.....or are you using it as a showcase for the 900?
Aah well spotted that man! You are quite right I do have a couple of people who have expressed an interest in the TDM that will be on the frosty run.... so seems to make sense to go on that :) Will you be there yourself Tigering around?? (EDIT... just realised you may be a bit far away for Frosty Rollocks Run!)

Chris

P.S. for those of you wondering what a frosty rollocks run is.... you need to have a look at www.yamahadiversions.com ( old habits die hard!! ) And what else would you call a rideout at this time of year!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts