Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Yamaha RD350 two stroke, a real screamer, followed by an 805 Norton Interstate, a T140E Bonneville which looked a lot like the Norton with a huge tank and Euro bars. Since then I've been riding older BMWs. Looks like a good forum to see what's happening with Triumph these days.

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
Welcome from North Alabama!

I am curious about the choice of screen name. I lived in Giebelstadt, just south of Wuerzburg, for about six years in the 90's. I loved Wuerzburg! I learned to ride motorcycles while there. I got several years of good riding around Europe before moving back stateside in 1999.

Anyways, welcome and enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome from your neighbor to the East. You need to check out the Barber Motorsports museum near Birmingham, which has the world's largest motorcycle collection.

Roll Tide!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Welcome from the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia. Definitely check out Barber!

·
Registered
265 Posts
LA

Was that an 850 Commando?
How is the reliability with the BMWs?
I would like one.
They are Iconic.
I lived in Mobile for 10 years.
The fishing was great.
I called it the "Little Easy".

I had a Yamaha RD350 two stroke, a real screamer, followed by an 805 Norton Interstate, a T140E Bonneville which looked a lot like the Norton with a huge tank and Euro bars. Since then I've been riding older BMWs. Looks like a good forum to see what's happening with Triumph these days.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Norton made a twin similar to a Triumph. The company went bankrupt along with Triumph in the 70s. For a while they were combined Norton Villars Triumph but that failed also. They couldn't compete with the Japanese bikes. Mine was a Commando model with 850 ccs. It was very fast for its era with terrific handling. We used to describe going around curves as being on railroad tracks. I like the old pushrod BMWs that you can you can take apart with the tool kit. They are nice slow ride cruisers but never can give the speed rush of a Triumph or a Norton. I really have to get a test ride on a new Bonneville and see if its anything like my old one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Triumph America

I loved my 850 Norton Commando, but my 2008 America is a better bike for many reasons. Its handling is superb.
Its reliability is excellent.
I would like to try out an old pushrod BMW.
I love simple maintenance.
The valve adjustment on my Triumph is beyond my capabilities.

Norton made a twin similar to a Triumph. The company went bankrupt along with Triumph in the 70s. For a while they were combined Norton Villars Triumph but that failed also. They couldn't compete with the Japanese bikes. Mine was a Commando model with 850 ccs. It was very fast for its era with terrific handling. We used to describe going around curves as being on railroad tracks. I like the old pushrod BMWs that you can you can take apart with the tool kit. They are nice slow ride cruisers but never can give the speed rush of a Triumph or a Norton. I really have to get a test ride on a new Bonneville and see if its anything like my old one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts