Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rear end is off, swing arm cleaned as with dog bones. Shafts all polished up and everything looking good.:)
It will take three weeks for rubbing strip to arrive in Aus:mad:, and around four days for brake pads for the new tokico.:eek:

Thought whilst waiting I should shim the needles on carbs.
(http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/196788-jetting-on-900cc-with-these-mods.html)

when taking off the snorkles for air box, noticed no water in reservoir thought the worst straight away...:(
Read a few threads here but still didnt make me feel any better. So off with the sump plug....:confused:
Dam greeny brown oil coming out of the old girl.... The radiator is still full of fluro green fluid, so I'm hoping its only a water pump seal....Should I just do the head gasket?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
No need to put the same post up more than once, crooky. I've deleted the one from the other thread.

My first guess is that the PO put fancy oil in, and what you're seeing is harmless dye. Several of the boutique brands dye their oil; Motul in particular comes to mind.

Does the oil look like oil, or like a fancy, creamy, coffee drink from Starbucks? If the former, it's probably not got coolant in it.

What happens if you leave some overnight in a clear container? Oil and water will separate over time.

Looks like the going rate for an oil analysis down under is about $40, so not as cheap as it is here, but still less than a head gasket. That might give you some peace of mind.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Kit about other post.

This is what's coming out of sump plug hole.
[/URL][/IMG]

only oil ever used is...
[/URL][/IMG]

Bottom of pan
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Yeah, sorry, man, that's droplets of coolant in your oil. Is there coolant dripping from the weep hole in the bottom of the water pump? Wouldn't be much, maybe just enough to leave a spot the size of an Aussie dollar coin overnight, maybe even less.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
radiator off, water pump off, no sign of corrosion in tell tale hole. Alternator off, greeny light brown oil up around cush drive rubbers.
Tomorrow I'll remove header pipes and then stop... I'm going to buy a leak down tester.
i'm hoping it's the head gasket. what else could it be? hole in the head, farrk crack in the head, this is going to do my head in. :( what would the price of a head gasket be roughly?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Better be sitting down when Triumph tell you how much the head gasket is ,knowing how they charge a premium even for small items.

Why don't you try re-torqueing the head first then get some engine oil flush to remove most of the old oil/coolent .Fill it up with some cheap 10w40 & see how it turns out.

cheers

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the timing side of engine there are three bolts thar screw up from engine into head. The one thats closes the exhaust has no head on it. No oil seepage I wonder if that's the cause.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Best way to tell if you have water in any oil is heat a teaspoon when hot add oil if it spits you have water I'm into hydraulics so I no this method works.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts