Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Bonneville T120, Red/Silver
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My local dealer called me to tell me he got in a Green 2016 Thruxton. I've been dying to see one, so I went there first thing this morning. I have to say it is truly stunning. Looks even better in person than in the pictures. Beautiful bike. Sitting on it though I don't think I could ride very far on one. Riding posture is a bit more upright than on the older Thrux, but not as upright as the older Bonnies or the T120. But it's gorgeous. Deep green with metalic flakes, looks darker from some angles/lighting. Here are some pics even though they don't do it justice.

I had ridden my Goodwood Green 2007 Bonnie over there, so the dealer rolled out the thrux and put them side by side. The new green is a bit on the bluer side than the Goodwood, but they are pretty close. Fun to see them side by side, we both stood there admiring them for quite a while...

I should mention that this bike is not spoken for -- it's available to walk in and buy on the spot! I was very tempted, sat on it a few times, but just can't see myself riding it very often without pain. I'm already having knee problems on my 2007 Bonnie, I fear this Thrux would cripple me! (It's at CalMoto in Mountain View, CA, in case anyone wants it! And no I'm not affiliated with the dealer or Triumph in any capacity, just a fan).

-Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I bought a green Thruxton of the showroom floor.
I've ridden a couple of 100 mile+ afternoons so far without discomfort.
But I'm only 67 years old

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. No back, knee, or wrist issues? I know they say that you can support yourself with your core muscles and not put weight on your hands, but not sure if that is really sustainable on a cafe-style bike. But like I said, I've never ridden one...

-Dan

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm 46, 6' tall with a 32" inseam, and the closest thing to a sport bike I've ever owned is Ninja 500R, and that was 10 years ago. Everything else has been a standard type riding position, going back almost 30 years. I also spend a lot of time at a desk and don't exercise much.

My core was pretty weak when I purchased my Thruxton R without so much as a test-ride. I did sit on it, and that let me know that the leg position wasn't bad at all, but that I would have to work on my core.

I've been doing core building exercises ever since, and with each passing week, I become more comfortable on the Thruxton, spending an hour and a half on it max, so far, without any issues except from the hard seat, and that was the very beginning of discomfort at the end of the ride. The key is definitely in using core strength to keep the weight off your wrists. Some times, I even pull back on the bars a bit to help build strength.

The riding position still does not feel natural to me, but its getting better. Around town, under hard braking, and going down hills around corners are when it feels most unnatural to me. When going up hills, accelerating, and at about 70 to 80 mph, it feels right as well.

It's a bike I bought knowing I'd have to better myself to ride well. That was actually part of the draw. I do wish there was a factory looking riser that would put the bars about an inch up and an inch back. I'm going to give it at least a few thousand miles for me to get used to it before I seriously look at raising the bars though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
67 here also, and I too have the standard Thruxton in green. Rode 200+ miles round trip down to the Chesapeake Bay and back, no discomfort other than a slightly sore bum, but was fine after stopping for petrol and getting off the bike for a few minutes. I much prefer the leaning forward position as opposed to sitting upright, cruiser style. Sold my RNineT mainly because it nearly paralyzed me after an hour and half of riding ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Foggy.

The "Comfort Seat" is worth the money. My tours are normally around 3 hours and no sore bum when you get off. The dealer had to replace the "Comfort Seat" as the fit to the tank was very poor. 1/2 inch gap. Second one a lot better. Also looks good with the red stitching and Triumph logo at the back.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Foggy.

The "Comfort Seat" is worth the money. My tours are normally around 3 hours and no sore bum when you get off. The dealer had to replace the "Comfort Seat" as the fit to the tank was very poor. 1/2 inch gap. Second one a lot better. Also looks good with the red stitching and Triumph logo at the back.
Does the painted seat cowl fit on the "Comfort Seat", or is it a different shape than the stock seat?

-Dan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi.

The painted seat cowl fits the "Comfort Seat". No problem. Got it in black but would also think the brown one would look good. If I knew how to up load some pictures I could show you how it looks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts