Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
From the start I do not want to offend any Victorians .
Did the Great Ocean Road after attending this years Superbikes at the Island.
Was disappointed to say the least.
Too may transit section between the good bits /Too may slow cars and road works spoiling the run
Scenery 10/10
Gotta admit The Oxley is more fun by far.
But then again ,i did see the 11 apostles.always wanted to see them.
Road back from Albury via Jindabyne to Newcastle in one stint.(NEVER AGAIN)
Teemed rain from Mittagong all the way to Sydney. Have to thank to slow car in front whose taillights I followed for most of way on freeway. It was scary having semis roaring past in zero visibilty
The ST performed admirably all trip.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Rammstein I,m a victorian and how dare :-D Just kidding.
:-D I did the GOR several months ago, no roadworks,cars and even buses pulled out of my way before they held me up.
Its a pity you had such a bad run, If you can get a clear run on this road its,a real blast :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I just done it in my Diesel VW Van with the GF and young fella.Glad I wasn t on the bike it was frezzing cold,over policed and one long traffic jam.
Give me Jambaroo Mt. and th National Park anyday.
The scenery is tops though.
:cool:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Rammstein,
You must be part of the small group we had a coffee with at Lavers Hill. You with the dud pannier lids. You should have ridden it a bit faster. Much more fun. The road works are a pain in the backside but hopefully those parts of the road will be better next time. The guy on the Tuono from Terrigal that we travelled with had a big enough smile on his face at the end of the day, and a fairly worn rear tire.
The Ocean Road is best early in the morning when the roads are dry. As the day progresses the traffic increases. To avoid being held up the only option is to become a bit of a hooligan at times and take some risks, but hopefully make no bad choices.
Cheers, Alan

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Alan,

It was indeed us at the coffee stop and was a pleasure meeting you. Mate i was scared of the cops as my mate passed a car on the GOR last year right when a camera got him and lost his license. Was busting to speed in Vic but heard about the hidden cameras. I fact spied a broken down car on side of rode on way home near border and***** me dead, it had a camera on the dash.
It was great to get back into NSW and open up the old ST
I rang Peter Steven re the faulty panniers and they are sending updated set. They sold me the old ones in the first place which had a recall on them.

PS. Loved Warnambool mate . You will have to come up one day and do Oxley

[ This message was edited by: Rammstein on 2007-03-12 19:58 ]

·
Registered
565 Posts
Rammstein

Got to agree the GOR can be good or bad depending on what traffic you catch up to. On a good day it is goooood, on a bad day it's the shits and you are better off turning round and finding another route. Done it 6 times counting both directions end to end, best time is later in the year when the tourist traffic is a bit lighter. As Simmo says still need to become a bit of a hooligan just to keep the arenolin pumping

Could you send a bit of that rain further south, us Victorians have the most livable city and now we must be streets ahead on rain fall.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
935 Posts
On 2007-03-12 16:25, Rammstein wrote:
Hi all,
From the start I do not want to offend any Victorians .
Did the Great Ocean Road after attending this years Superbikes at the Island.
Was disappointed to say the least.
Too may transit section between the good bits /Too may slow cars and road works spoiling the run
Scenery 10/10
Gotta admit The Oxley is more fun by far.
But then again ,i did see the 11 apostles.always wanted to see them.
Road back from Albury via Jindabyne to Newcastle in one stint.(NEVER AGAIN)
Teemed rain from Mittagong all the way to Sydney. Have to thank to slow car in front whose taillights I followed for most of way on freeway. It was scary having semis roaring past in zero visibilty
The ST performed admirably all trip.
I find the GOR overrated, it would be great if not for the tourist buses, caravans, mobile homes, gravel on the corners, cops etc etc. I'll bet it was an awesome road many years ago, before everyone 'discovered' it. A bit like the Old Pacfic Hwy near my place, 20 years ago when it was deserted it was my fav road. Now it's a f*cked piece of sh*t full of squids on R1's and cops. There are still good roads out there - but I'm not going to tell anyone where they are!
:-D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
This is Wollongongs answer to the GOR.The National park and the road following the coast and mountains.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For all you non Aussies
Here is the Great Ocean Road

[ This message was edited by: Rammstein on 2007-03-13 16:19 ]

·
Registered
727 Posts
Rammstein,
Hope that you are well. I recall that you have fitted a Skidmarx (?) hugger and a double bubble screen and that you obtained them from the UK. I am looking at either a Skidmarx or a Powerbronze Hugger and cant decide which. With the hugger does it actually work and keep road spray and stones etc, just like the small ones on the ocean road, from getting in around the rear damper, ie does it actually work. How far to the rear does it extend, ie in relation to wheel centre. I think that you had a fixing screw into the swing arm to the right unsupported side opposite the chain guard. Was this a drilling and tapped hole by you. Is the installation firm and do you hope long lasting. Can you recall the cost and who you obtained it from. Any comments would be appreciated.
Cheers Alan

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
We used to do the the GOR back in the 70's and 80's. Less coppers then and they couldn't catch us in their Holdens anyway.

Good memories of fast, fun trips with mates in the "carefree days".

I haven't done it in years though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts