Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK...it was actually my second ride of the season. I took the bike out last weekend for about 20 mins with no issues. But today was a beautiful day, so I took the bike for a little ride around town and then to a friends place to play poker.

When I left their place and turned from their street to a main street, WHAM, bike lowsided. I was going maybe 20mph and being pretty cautious, but the roads here are still pretty dirty and dusty from the winter....oh well, serves me right. :mad:

So now I got a scratched right fairing and saddlebag infill panel. Wonderful. Minor damage to the nose fairing, and the windscreen somehow popped off and sheared the two plastic screws holding it on. Ugh. What a way to start the season.

So should I attempt to get the fairing repainted (no cracks whatsoever, just scratched up), or get a new one. I see on bikebandit.com, the Caspain Blue non ABS RH fairing is $300, compared the ABS version at $450....interesting :confused: (mine is non-ABS anyway).

Question is, does the replacement fairing include the heat sheilding foam on the inside and the chrome trim peice?

If you look at this link http://www.bikebandit.com/showschematic/m17640sch568444 part #2 seems to have a line drawn around ALL the little miscellanous peices, meaning that the replacement fairing is all pre-assembled.

Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks!

Oh and PS....be careful of spring riding...:(

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have same kind of damage but on the left side. From talking to a repair shop I was told it would cost AUD$450 to fix the scratches and repaint complete fairing, as it does not have a clear coat to allow blending in new and old colour. This would be around AUD$200+ cheaper then getting new fairings from bikebandit. I'm thinking if I repair the fairing my self and get it ready for painting the cost would be even cheaper. The damage in my case isn't significant and I have to point to it for people to even notice when bike is on side stand, so it may be more work to fill in the scratches on your bike.

GK

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I can't believe you are riding already in Montreal. Our melt hasnt even began and there is still drifts 5 feet deep here. :( I feel like I am in a cold version of hell.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can't believe you are riding already in Montreal. Our melt hasnt even began and there is still drifts 5 feet deep here.
Me neither. Basically the same here in the Rockies. It was above 0 C today, but snowing like mad. Supposed to warm up this week and start melting...

Good thing my new bike is down on the Coast in Vancouver...and I have next week off, so I should get in a good ride. I HAD hoped to be riding it home next week, but looks like several weeks or even a month away.

Sorry to hear about the get-off. Glad you're OK and that the damage wasn't too severe.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Glad you're o.k. Good news is the plastic screws are relatively cheap. Hope you won the pot!
I recently saw fairings on ebay so I would ollk there before ordering. I got a set of pannier infil panels brand new for $69US.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah...we're surprisingly having a good spring in Montreal...for once! Last few weeks have been above 0, the streets are decent, but there is still a bit of snow on the ground, mainly all the piles left by shovelling driveways and parking lots. Although, its been relatively dry, so all the winter crap is still on the roads. We need some good rain to wash it all away!

I have checked ebay...unfortunately, a nice RH side fairing was just sold a few days ago for $125 USD! Doh! And Sprint parts are usually pretty rare.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Johnny-- I too found the odd price for the fairings on BikeBandit regarding ABS versus non-ABS. Have no idea of any difference other than the ABS sticker (which is an expensive $30 on its own). IF I go that route, I'm getting the non-ABS one, buying the $30 sticker and having money to spare versus buying the ABS model fairing. BTW, don't forget we get a 10% discount to BikeBandit for Triumphrat.net members! :) Glad your okay after your mishap!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Johnny-- I too found the odd price for the fairings on BikeBandit regarding ABS versus non-ABS. Have no idea of any difference other than the ABS sticker (which is an expensive $30 on its own). IF I go that route, I'm getting the non-ABS one, buying the $30 sticker and having money to spare versus buying the ABS model fairing. BTW, don't forget we get a 10% discount to BikeBandit for Triumphrat.net members! :) Glad your okay after your mishap!
Thanks for the info! How to I get the discount?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I called a repair shop close by, they say they can repaint. But the question is, are the decals BELOW the clearcoat?

That means I would have to order the decals and give them to the painter so he can put them on before clearcoat....:(

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yep. Below the clearcoat. That would be the only drawback I'd have in my situation. I'd have to apply the ABS decal, thus it would be over the clearcoat.

In your situation, if you stripped/sanded down your panel, you'd have to get new decals probably. I don't think you could save them (maybe somebody knows how). I've seen Sprint ST1050 decals on ebay only once recently. I have also been told that sometimes a local sign shop may be able to scan and re-image your decals--so you may be able to look into that route. I guess if you changed them slightly you wouldn't run into the chance of a legal issue. Also, you have to buy the paint (or your shop may be able to match. Not so easy on my Sunset Red). So, I'm thinking of just buying (with the discount) the non-ABS panel and adding the $30ish ABS sticker myself once I find some money laying around!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even my decals got damaged from the incident, so I would have to get new ones anyway.

I just have to see how much my paint guy will charge, compared to buying a brand new fairing.

I'm sure he'll be cheaper, but I'm just scared about the colour match. :(

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi John, sorry to hear about your little low side...

Think the thing with this Sprint, especially with those OEM bars of soap that they call tires is that the bike is very torquey and it makes it very slippery when its only like 2c out there... If that can make you feel any better, almost a year ago, I only had my Sprint for 2 weeks and the exact same thing happened when I left home to go for work... I just turn a right hand corner, out from a stop that was just 40 feet from my driveway and the tires were dead cold from sleeping outside at around 2c and, just slightly opened up the throttle while turning around a huge pothole, opened up the gas , the rpm at like 2-3k and whaaam, first thing I know, bike is spinning on its RH side, and Im on the sidewalk, hands first.

Dont remember what your answer was when I went to your place to pick up the topcase, but, if the tires are OEM Brigdestones, ditch 'em !

Anyways, glad to hear that you're allright, and we'll soon be able to ride ;) good luck with the repairs!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi John, sorry to hear about your little low side...

Think the thing with this Sprint, especially with those OEM bars of soap that they call tires is that the bike is very torquey and it makes it very slippery when its only like 2c out there... If that can make you feel any better, almost a year ago, I only had my Sprint for 2 weeks and the exact same thing happened when I left home to go for work... I just turn a right hand corner, out from a stop that was just 40 feet from my driveway and the tires were dead cold from sleeping outside at around 2c and, just slightly opened up the throttle while turning around a huge pothole, opened up the gas , the rpm at like 2-3k and whaaam, first thing I know, bike is spinning on its RH side, and Im on the sidewalk, hands first.

Dont remember what your answer was when I went to your place to pick up the topcase, but, if the tires are OEM Brigdestones, ditch 'em !

Anyways, glad to hear that you're allright, and we'll soon be able to ride ;) good luck with the repairs!

Yup, I remember your story exactly, so I was trying to keep that in mind when riding. Looks like the exact same thing happened to me!

And the tires are Bridgestone BT-021 (I think it is BT-020 OEM), but either way, I can already tell they are crap. I think I'm going to go for another set of Avon Storm, like I had on my ZZR...those were great tires!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Be careful guys,we are pushing our luck to ride on those winter dirty roads,better to wait a couple of weeks,meanwhile I will ride tomorrow:)
Nocashnosplash : Cooool, another Sprint rider from around Montreal ! :) We should all meet and go for a ride... once the riding season really kicks in! :)

Yup, you're right... :cool:

The sad thing is, (and I think the same happened to Johnny), we were so eager to ride our new bikes that it just took over the "be careful its a bit early".

I know its best, and still I find myself stupid for taking it out that infamous morning, because I've been riding street bikes for close to 20 years, and I've always refrained myself from riding them before mid-april around here because even though it might be hot enough, there is still huge amounts of abrasive and calcium residue, potholes, and some of 'em are evident, some are hard to spot, and this is what gets you down.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have had a few occasions for painting my bike, none due to my fault but I have learned that if you get a graphic shop to make the decals and get them to the paint shop. It ends up much cheaper in the long run.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts