Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my speedo cable detached from the speedo at present and thought I would grease it.

I grabbed the end of the inner cable and gently pulled, but it does not seem to want to come out.

So I have to remove something at the bottom?

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes, you have to disconnect it from the front hub. It's only held by a single screw.

Disconnect it from the speedo by undoing the ring nut and then give the inner cable a gentle tug at its lower extremity and out she comes.

Give it a light coat of quality grease and then give it a shove and it fits like a glove back into the sheath and reconnect both ends - job done.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You can only pull it out from the bottom. You could just trickle thin oil down from the top. Something in the back of my minds tells me you're not supposed to grease / oil the speedo cable at all, but I haven't got the manual here at work to make sure I'm right. Best check that out first.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Regarding greasing. The outer cable is supposed to have a friction free lining, but previous posts have suggested a thin layer of moly grease to be helpful in keeing it quiet.

Oil might be too thin, and could work its way upwards into the speedo head.

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, another problem

Inner cable out and lightly greased, but now it wont fit back inside the outer cable very easily.

It goes to within half inch of the end then seems to bind up. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Panic over. Just needed a bit of a bloody good push to get the stiffer, flatted end round the bend at the top :) :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
On 2007-02-28 07:51, Wooly wrote:
That's why I said to give it a shove and it will fit like a glove.
Heard that before somewhere.... :wink:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
If you fill your cable with oil from the top, you will spend your summer wiping it off your front wheel. A thin coating of white grease is the way to go.

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
Another possibility is cable lube with the injector gadget, not sure how much of that would dribble out over time. A bit does come out of the low end of my clutch cable.

I get the impression from this forum that the most important lubrication point is the bend right behind the clock. That's where they seem to eventually break. I'm going to use aerosol grease (sprayed in with a straw like WD40) to lube that point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts