Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '95 Sprint (RIP) had zerk grease fittings on all the rear suspension linkages. I don't see any on my (new to me) 2005 model. Were they omitted in the new model, or am I not looking hard enough?

TIA ...

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Can't speak to the '05-up models, but I surely didn't see any on my '04 when I replaced the swingarm in April.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Maybe Triumph didn't put grease fittings there because they want you to periodically dissassemble and inspect, as well as lubricate the parts.

Just a thought.

---Charlie

·
Registered
450 Posts
The scheduled service maintenance chart (p 2.3 of the service manual) calls for headstock bearing lubrication every 20,000 miles (32,000 kms) or 2 years. While the rear is not mentioned in the table, I would think that a similar interval may be the wiser path.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't speak to the '05-up models, but I surely didn't see any on my '04 when I replaced the swingarm in April.

Cheers,
-Kit
perhaps the previous owner installed the fittings himself, but i'm positive they were there.

as far as triumph forcing you to disassemble the parts for inspection, i have but one word, and i won't say it here, as this is a public forum. :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Very few vehicles seem to have grease nipples anymore which is probably largely due to the much greater use of sealed bearings which can't be repacked, last much longer and are reasonably cheap (if you know the bearing number that is - genuine doesn't matter as long as it is a quality unit).

Doesn't really account for unsealed bearings and bushes which could do with a squirt of grease every now and then. I would rather do that than pull the swing arm off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts