Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm planning to replace the brake pads (front and rear) and have been reading different opinions about using grease. On the rear of the pad some copper grease is often applied to prevent noise etc. My questions is; can I also use ceramic grease?
And for the caliper bolts..I think if you apply the right torque no loctite is necessary but what about ceramic grease on these bolts (is that often done?)?

Thank you in advance!
Cheers

·
Registered
497 Posts
Don't grease the backs of the pads, the service manual doesn't specify it, the manufacturers don't specify it. It's a holdover from older braking technologies and in some cases the grease can migrate into the pad material and compromise braking.

Excuse the language but this guy explains it pretty well:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Caliper mount bolts don't need antiseize unless you don't remove them for eg 5 years

Debate on this topic resembles modern politics - people become outraged and extreme very quickly.

I don't put copper grease on pad backs. However, I do use the stuff on bikes I ride in wet weather and in winter. Below is link to a mechanic explaining how he uses it and why. Friend who has a Yam dealership and is mechanic does the same.

There is an easy way to make your own decision - run your bike through one winter with nothing on caliper or pads, then see the state of them and check the operation of pistons. Do the same having used CU800 and compare. Do it for yourself and decide. Just obviously don't grease up discs or friction material!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thnx for the information! Just checked the Haynes service manual; it does mention to put some grease on the rear of the pads but none on the caliper bolts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do not grease the screws, or the brake caliper will be pressed against its support more than precribed, due to the lower thread resistance.
I apply ceramic powder with a brush - in very small quantity - on pistons, and the weak lever issue was gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts