Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there -- looking for some advice on grab rails. I have a fender eliminator on my T100 (looks more like a thrux these days):

I am trying to figure out setup I could use pseudo-temporarily to support a ride with the wife. This would mean the stock seat goes back on, and agrab rail or sissybar. I'd leave the rail on mostly permanently, and just change the seat back and forth when we go for rides together.

The problem with the triumph grab rails and sissy bars is that the U shaped dresser bar they mount to wouldn't fit with the FEK that I have (http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-motorcycle-low-profile-lucas-fender-eliminator-kit.html).

So options I see are:

#1, get one of the triumph bars, but cut the dresser bar so that it doesn't actually go through a complete U shape, and plug those holes. Kind of a hack job that doesn't sound like a great option to me. But I do like that the triumph bar mounts to the inside of the shock pivots, not the outside -- much cleaner.

#2, the MCResources stuff. These two look good, though I wish the bar mounted to the inside of the shock pivot mount, not the outside as it appears to. The triumph stuff seems better in this regard.

#3, Renntec stuff. This grabrail seems about perfect actually, though I don't see any US supplier.

Any thoughts, and does anyone know of a us source for the renntec grab rail (newbonneville does seem to have the full rack).

Thanks!

Will

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Have you called newbonneville? They have alot of stuff that isn't on their website, and even if they don't have it handy, they can get it for you at a reasonable price. They're good people.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, shoot

Now that I looked at the bike again I realized the signals I have mounted on the outside shock pivots will also interfere with the rail on the renntec or the mcresources ones, though the stick triumph one looks like it might fit ok. Bugger. So I guess I'll need to go with that? I'm not really that keen on moving everything around on the backend just to fit the bar, really in the end I think I'll just chop the U bracket...

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Make exactly what you want, or have it made if you don't have the fab tools. I ran into the same problem, I didn't like any of the premade stuff. Bars are 3/4" chrome-moly, .059" wall. brackets are 1/8" mild steel. You need a bender to bend the bars, the local fab shop or hot rod shop will be able to do that, the brackets can be bent in a vise. Used the inside bolt holes for the clean look, added turn signal mounts. Plan to add a small rack and a pad.

Sorry about the nighttime pics,
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts