Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recomend a GPS? I'm interested, but I know absolutely nothing about them.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm using a Garmin 60 Cx with a RAM mount. It works great. But I needed to buy better maps (City Navigator v8). The base maps on the 60 Cx are pretty sparse. After getting the new maps, it wouldn't be much more expensive to get a Streetpilot and it would have a bigger screen and the better maps built-in.

If I was going to buy another one, I think I would get a Streetpilot that doesn't have the hard drive. The hard drive won't stand up to the vibrations.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-12-12 11:37, TomS wrote:
Can anyone recomend a GPS?
There are plenty of options. How much are you planning to spend, and how do you want to use it? Are you near a store where you can check out various models?

I got the Garmin Etrex Vista, because of price and I can use it hiking and on the bicycle. I also didn't want a GPS that I could read while riding for a couple of reasons. Distraction, and I didn't want more hardware sitting on the Thruxton.

When using the gps, I'll slide it in the map window on my tank bag. With zoom, I can get a view of the road ahead, but have to stop if more detail is needed. Using the keys to switch screens or zoom can be tough with gloves, because this unit is so small. But my intent is to stop if I need details.

If your touring, the advanced units are very nice, including verbal queues, so you spend less time looking at the display.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been using the Garmin GPS V for five or six years. It's out of production, but still available.

Low memory, but enough for a day or two ride. When travelling, I load in only the details for larger cities I'll be in. All larger roads/streets/highways are already there, so it works even out of area except for small country roads.

Features include turn by turn routing instructions.

Uses four AA batteries which is a plus, and they last about ten hours. Can also be plugged into a hard wire.

Is completely waterproof. Legible at speed. Can be moved to other vehicles very easy.

For mounting, I use their $25 bicycle handlebar mount. They also sell some little springs for bicycle use that fit between the batteries that eliminate connection issues over bumps. With the hard wire that's not an issue anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts