Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 ST1050cc. I'm thinking about installing GPS and I have a guestion... I'm very inclined to buy the Zummo 550 motorcycle GPS (left-hand controls ) but I'm not sure if I should go for the Triumph GPS; which is made for the ST.
The Triumph GPS is 1400. The Zummo is 675; plus labor. ( I'm not doing it myself ) Any suggestions on what might be the best application??:confused:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
AFAIK The Triumph branded unit was the Garmin 2610 and you may find the features of the Zumo models more to your liking. Do a search!

denoose

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have the Zumo 550 and I'm very happy with it, only thing is it doesn't do bluetooth stereo but you can use normal wired stereo earphones.
Installation is dead easy and you should be able to do it yourself without problems, maybe with the help of a friend that is tech savvy. A number of threads around about mounting a GPS, just look around and search a bit.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have the Zumo 550 and it awesome, I use it quite a bit in the car as well. Highly recommend

·
Registered
104 Posts
Denoose is correct- the Triumph unit is a Garmin Streetpilot. $1400 is an insane price to pay. I got a 2720 for $199, and the Zumo 550 can be found on sale as well. Installation is simple, I did my own and I'm a total idiot (mechanically!).

There are several threads devoted to the installation of gps units. That's how I learned to install mine. Do it yourself, it feels good!

Good luck!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check out the Garmin Nuvi 550, sensible size, fits nicely in your pocket when off the bike, sensible money, made for cars & bikes......

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Low,
denoose is bang on. The Triumph one is a re branded older Garmin model, same as the BMW one as well.

Might as well go for the latest tech and get the Zumo.

I use a Garmin GPSM60CSx.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Denoose, friendly reminder,
Garmin Nuvi 660 and Garmin Zumo 660... NOT the same thing.. .dont worry made the same mistake.. 'cause I would LOVE the Zumo 660 to be the price of the Nuvi... .. but its not... :(

Now I just hope that the Zumo 660 will go down a bit in terms of price before I buy it in a couple of months before my cross country trip (well almost) to take me to the Dragon and the BRP....then all the way to Magdalenen Islands..

·
Registered
441 Posts
Low,
denoose is bang on. The Triumph one is a re branded older Garmin model, same as the BMW one as well.

Might as well go for the latest tech and get the Zumo.

I use a Garmin GPSM60CSx.

BMW used to also offer the Zumo rebranded plus big mark up.

I would rather have the Zumo 550 over the 660. I was really excited about the 660 when it was announced, but no external buttons is a deal killer. I can't tell you how much easier it is to manipulate the gps using external buttons instead of screen buttons with gloves on.

Notice the add on external buttons on the BMW gps unit.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sorry mate i missed that completely- I did not realize the Zumo had been updated, thanks! I'm still using a TomTom One on the bike as it is...

Denoose, friendly reminder,
Garmin Nuvi 660 and Garmin Zumo 660... NOT the same thing.. .dont worry made the same mistake.. 'cause I would LOVE the Zumo 660 to be the price of the Nuvi... .. but its not... :(

Now I just hope that the Zumo 660 will go down a bit in terms of price before I buy it in a couple of months before my cross country trip (well almost) to take me to the Dragon and the BRP....then all the way to Magdalenen Islands..

·
Registered
15 Posts
to jump on the topic, how about some options for mounting a gps? most of the mounts online tailor to any/all bikes except the sprint. my '01 doesn't seem to have any obvious locations for mounting one, but i'm sure others have found a way. i currently have a few garmins floating around for our cars - one being a weatherproof version for the jeeps. i'm wanting to mount that one but the only way i can see to come up with a mount is to somehow fix a tube from one controls to another and then mount the gps to that. anyone have a good fix?

here are the gps units i have:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=255
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=164&pID=31946
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13432

i also just ordered a tank bag (motech) with the gas ring adapter. i'm going to have it powered so the wiring for a gps/xm radio can run right out it. i'm hoping to get all the parts together at once and get all the wiring out of the way and enjoy the rest of the season in style.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I'm waiting on a Garmin 750 to arrive. It'll be attached to the bike using Ram mounts. Plan to use it in the cage too. Hope to report on it's features sometime in the future.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
BMW used to also offer the Zumo rebranded plus big mark up.

I would rather have the Zumo 550 over the 660. I was really excited about the 660 when it was announced, but no external buttons is a deal killer. I can't tell you how much easier it is to manipulate the gps using external buttons instead of screen buttons with gloves on.

Notice the add on external buttons on the BMW gps unit.

Ahhh I didn't knwo BMW upgraded to a 550 unit. They had the same as Triumph for a while there. I also didn't know there was a 660 Zumo either....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ahhh I didn't knwo BMW upgraded to a 550 unit. They had the same as Triumph for a while there. I also didn't know there was a 660 Zumo either....

BMW did the upgrade for a while then realized their riders weren't as dumb as they usually are and wouldn't pay that much more just for the rondel. They dropped the zumo rebadge and kept the Streetpilot (navigator III+) in the line. I will keep my 550 does everything well, gps, phone, music what more do I need.

I can use it to plan my routes the night before while sitting in a tent or hotel room. I can also upload all my different tracks when I get home and look at where I have been. I can also send my trips to people so they can take the same ride. And lastly after a recent wreck (another rider) I can look at the time and speed we were going at to try and plug in holes and figure out what happened.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Zumo 550 & gadget guymount deffinately the best combo for the sprint

Wether you choose to hook it up via a starcom/autocom unit is up to you, I chose the starcom.

As stated, the zumo 660 lacks some features the 550 has, and IMO is a step backwards. The 660 has been slated on the Zumo forums

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not being a gps user (but thinking about it) how many users actually look at the screen during a ride? as opposed to listening to the audio instructions via a headset. I would see myself listening to the instructions, that being the case could the GPS simply be mounted in a tankbag (antenna allowing)? if so then surely a good non bike specific GPS would be financially more viable? Comments please.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts