Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a better GPS for the Sprint. I've got a cheap one that works great but is difficult to see in the daytime.

Maybe a Garmin Zumo 550 or Tom Tom Rider? What do you guys like and why.

CHEERS

·
Registered
37 Posts
Zumo 550

I would highly recommend the Garmin Zumo 550. I have had mine on 3 different bikes. I use bluetooth wireless headset in helmet. Nav, MP3, cell phone calls come directly from the Zumo. I also use it in the car, comes with a car mount. Gadget guy makes a great mount for the Sprint ST. Take a look at the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
I really like my Zumo 550 although the new 660 looks pretty good also, cheaper price larger screen, 3-D, lane assist. It looks like you just get less memory for routes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a tomtom rider2 and a zumo 550...

The garmin was more expensive, but offers more and would be what I would recommend.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I vote for Garmin. I have the zumo 550 and when paired with the starcom1 it is a bloody brilliant system. Music, two way radio, phone, gps, radar detector, it does so much so well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow! Never thought there would be such a big difference in the GPS'! I've got a TomTom in the car. But it looks like I'll be looking into picking up a Garmin for the bike. Thanks for the humble opinions gents. ;-)

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I would highly recommend the Garmin Zumo 550. I have had mine on 3 different bikes. I use bluetooth wireless headset in helmet. Nav, MP3, cell phone calls come directly from the Zumo. I also use it in the car, comes with a car mount. Gadget guy makes a great mount for the Sprint ST. Take a look at the pic.

+1 on 550 and gadget guy...only way to go

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And a related question... which in-helmet bluetooth speaker/mic to get???

Edit: If the Garmin and cell phone are already linked via bluetooth, does that mean that an in-helmet speaker/mic will have to be wired to the Garmin (and cannot be wireless)?

·
Registered
896 Posts
+1 for Zumo 550, starcom, and gadget guy mount
using the right cables for the starcom gives me all the features, and hands free cell phone

As for the question about bluetooth, most devices can only be paired and work with 1 other device at anytime, you can`t have a phone and helmet kit paired at the same time with the zumo.

Thats why I went with the cabled starcom helmet kit

·
Registered
444 Posts
You can pair your phone with the Zumo and then pair the Zumo with a Bluetooth headset no problem.

Just keep in mind a few things. The Zumo 550 does not have stereo Bluetooth, so music quality via Bluetooth is total and complete crap (voice sound quality is fine though).

I'm a fan of Bluetooth, but there still aren't any BT bike headset solutions that are ready for primetime. They all have various issues, but the big one for me is battery life. If I'm touring or commuting, keeping a BT headset charged is one more thing I'd rather not worry about. It's just simpler to use a wired solution, and generally less bulky. I use a good set of $30.00 Sony earbuds that I can replace at any WalMart, connected to my Zumo via a $5.00 3' extension cable routed along the frame and under the tank.

Something like an Autocom is of no value to me, I don't have intercom, I don't TALK on the phone while riding (though I do pair it so if a call comes in I can at least be aware of it and then stop to deal with it if necessary), and the Zumo handles all my entertainment needs (MP3 and XM).

As for the the Zumo 660, it does have A2DP (stereo Bluetooth), but you lose XM radio functionality, which is one way they kept the cost down. You also lose the left side "hard" buttons, everything is done with the touchscreen. And there's no car kit provided with the package.

I like those buttons, I like the car kit, and I like XM, so I'm glad I have a 550, but the 660 is still a nice unit that'll be fine for most riders.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The big deal for me with a GPS on a bike is a good interface with a computer so you can pre plan your rides and having a track log so you can check out where you have been.

I use a Garmin Quest, nice and small and does what I want at a sensible price. It has audio via the 3.5 mm jack in the mounting. I use a Bluetooth set up via an itech audio dongle and clip headset. Route planning is a doddle at your PC using MapSource, download the route to your GPS. When you get home upload your track log to the PC to see where you went wrong and stumbled accross that welcoming cafe/bar in the middle of nowhere. You can also transfer the route/track to Google Earth and do a fly through if you want to relive your ride.

I find TomToms great in the car but for a bike where more forward planning is required Garmins are much better. Having said that I have no experience of the Zumo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Garmin

You can pair your phone with the Zumo and then pair the Zumo with a Bluetooth headset no problem.

Just keep in mind a few things. The Zumo 550 does not have stereo Bluetooth, so music quality via Bluetooth is total and complete crap (voice sound quality is fine though).

I'm a fan of Bluetooth, but there still aren't any BT bike headset solutions that are ready for primetime. They all have various issues, but the big one for me is battery life. If I'm touring or commuting, keeping a BT headset charged is one more thing I'd rather not worry about. It's just simpler to use a wired solution, and generally less bulky. I use a good set of $30.00 Sony earbuds that I can replace at any WalMart, connected to my Zumo via a $5.00 3' extension cable routed along the frame and under the tank.

Something like an Autocom is of no value to me, I don't have intercom, I don't TALK on the phone while riding (though I do pair it so if a call comes in I can at least be aware of it and then stop to deal with it if necessary), and the Zumo handles all my entertainment needs (MP3 and XM).

As for the the Zumo 660, it does have A2DP (stereo Bluetooth), but you lose XM radio functionality, which is one way they kept the cost down. You also lose the left side "hard" buttons, everything is done with the touchscreen. And there's no car kit provided with the package.

I like those buttons, I like the car kit, and I like XM, so I'm glad I have a 550, but the 660 is still a nice unit that'll be fine for most riders.

Croak,

How did you mount your XM 30 antenna??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts