Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using a bar/headstock mounted phone or GPS on their Thruxton R? I have the lower clip on bars and I'm trying to figure out how to attache my iphone for navigation but there is not a lot of room up there.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Andy,
When I cleaned up my top yoke after switching to clipons on my Bonnie SE, I wanted a holder that was quality, versatile, low profile and most importantly, easily put on and off to not end up being some appendage eyesore when not in use.
After a stupid amount of web surfing (as with all my upgrades), I pulled the trigger on the Techmount Gripper and their Stem Mount Kit.
It installs directly in your steering stem if your top yoke stem nut is hollow. If it isn't, as was my case, Pro Bolt offers a slick billet one in a choice of anodized colours for $15. I also installed a usb waterproof plug along the spine that is hidden by the tank. I keep the Gripper, the fitted stem and a ft. long usb cable under the seat. So far I haven't found better! If you do let me know!
Cheers

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. I think I'm going to have to keep thinking about the best solution for this, possibly something to do with the inside end if the clip on bars as my set up is a little different.

Perhaps moving them in a little and getting a clamp on the end or possibly using the reservoir mounting bolt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is anyone using a bar/headstock mounted phone or GPS on their Thruxton R? I have the lower clip on bars and I'm trying to figure out how to attache my iphone for navigation but there is not a lot of room up there.
Hey! I know this thread isn't quite current but I'm having the same problem - I've just ordered an open top yolk nut from a company called Pro-Bolt, so that I can use a stem mount. I'll let you know how it works out when the bits arrive... I've attached a picture of the nut ordered and hopefully, roughly what it should look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hollow Stem Nut

So the hollow stem nut arrived. If I'm honest, it's a bit tall, but as I'll only be using it when I need the satnav, it shouldn't be a problem.

In other news, while I had the stem nut off, I swapped out the low risers that come with the track fairing kit, for the original 70mm higher risers on the 'standard' Thruxton R. The difference is huge!

Should make my upcoming European tour somewhat more relaxed...

Pics are on a saddlebag thread here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/743866-thuxton-saddlebags-2.html#post8216498

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hey Silverfish, any idea on the actual part number of that stem nut? Or year of the triple that came off of? I looking to do the exact same set up as well.... looks very clean:smile2:
The 2011 to 2016 Speed Triples all use the same stem nut, T2049880

T2041100 is the Daytona 675 stem nut and is the one that comes with Triumph kit for the Thruxton R.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know if these hollow stem nuts from the triples or daytona will be compatible with 9-15 Thruxtons?

Anyone happen to to know the thread pitch on the previous gen Thruxton stem nut

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Any chance you have a pic of how you mounted that in there?
Reviving an old thread, but I second that- I'd like to mount my Zumo 590LM up beyond the clocks like that, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road that much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts