Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a GPS system to use either in my car on the bike for whenever i am doing some touring.

Anyone had any experience with mounting a GPS system to their speedie?

I want it to be fairly neat and un-noticable when the GPS unit isn't attached to the bike so if anyone can offer some advice and even pictures if you have some that would be great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone had any experience with mounting a GPS system to their speedie?

I want it to be fairly neat and un-noticable when the GPS unit isn't attached to the bike so if anyone can offer some advice and even pictures if you have some that would be great.
I am experimenting with a 'RAM solutions' clip on my handlebars at the moment.

A bit like this one, but with a flat plate on the top instead of a ball:

It isn't ideal, because the closest one I could find in their catalogue was still slightly wider than the handlebar diameter, even when clamped fully closed. I'm currently using bits of bicycle inner tube to bulk out the bar diameter so that it'll clamp on, and to stop it slipping around. The problem with that is that the rubber tends to come loose - like I say, not ideal.

As i'm intending to upgrade to fatbars, I'm not too bothered about the lack of fit. I anticipate a much better fit on the fatbars.

They have hundreds of different bits, though. Download their catalogue and have a flick through it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year model is your bike? Cause i think the '08s have fatter bars as standard which is what i have so this might not be an issue for me.

Thanks for the link though, very helpful.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a TomTom Rider 2 , it comes with a ball Ram mount which fits my fat bars fine .You can place the mount in the centre of your handle bar risers or close to your clutch side and is unobtrusive .You will have to spend another ~ $100 for a car mount for it which I am thinking about myself .The TomTom is water proof , works well and can be used with gloves .Regards

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
My current 2009 with fatbar:

Old 2005 22mm bar, but similar setup:

On both bikes I used a Techmount (http://www.techmounts.com/) GPS mount, but left the whole arm part out and mounted the plate direct on the clamp.

On the fatbar 1 1/8" kit only small mods needed: file main mounting bolt 1mm shorter, drill one small locating hole on clamp and file a hair off the clamps where they meet, so they clamp tight enough.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The RAM mount that came with my Zumo fit on the left side of the bars fine. I don't like it in the middle (where it definitely will not fit) so that suit me well. Do a search on this and the other forum for wiring -- there's an easily accessible switched line under the seat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks guys all this is very helpful.

I found a great GPS system while doing some research last night which is the ASUS R300 and it does everything i want with bluetooth, phone interface with caller ID and touch screen dialing, also has a media center for storing videos and music etc etc.

The best bit is it's $170 from a shop not too far from me and ASUS actually make a handlebar mount for it but for some reason i cannot find it online anywhere.

I am going to ring ASUS today and see what they say about it.

GPS System: http://au.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=21&l2=0&l3=0&l4=0&model=1916&modelmenu=1

I know the picture shows it being on a bicycle but they say for use with a motorcycle too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use a bike/mc mount like the one that you linked to on my T509. Very unobtrusive when the gps isn't mounted. I'd post a picture, but I've never figured out how to post one on this site that shows up larger than a quarter. I think the bike/mc mount cost 15 bucks, and the one that I have fits virtually any Magellan gps. It has worked flawlessly on the couple of weekend trips I've taken with it so far...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use a bike/mc mount like the one that you linked to on my T509. Very unobtrusive when the gps isn't mounted. I'd post a picture, but I've never figured out how to post one on this site that shows up larger than a quarter. I think the bike/mc mount cost 15 bucks, and the one that I have fits virtually any Magellan gps. It has worked flawlessly on the couple of weekend trips I've taken with it so far...
You need to use a photo hosting website like photobucket. You just upload your photo and it gives you a code to input on your post which will be a URL and display the photo in the thread at whatever size it was uploaded at.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the how-to! I will be using it in the future at some point, I'm sure...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts