Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think anyone has asked this question in a while and I am hoping someone has come up with a solution. Can a 1050 Speed Triple be switched to GP shift? If so, how?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've tried just flipping the gear cog at the motor end and that does not work. Your shifter lever will contact the kickstand and impede your shifting. You would have to find a kit somewhere to do that which I haven't found yet either or fab something up yourself with a bent shifter bar or something.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feed back anyone know of a rear set kit that would let me switch to GP shift?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think that the Rizoma rear sets will let you change to GP shift. Call PJ's parts and ask PJ. He would know for sure.

H

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've tried just flipping the gear cog at the motor end and that does not work. Your shifter lever will contact the kickstand and impede your shifting. You would have to find a kit somewhere to do that which I haven't found yet either or fab something up yourself with a bent shifter bar or something.
I've also tried this, as it is the first mod I do to any of my bikes. While sitting on the side stand you can just flip it over and it appears as if it will work with no interference. Get on the bike, kickstand up, and try to ride, and you'll very quickly learn that this causes a problem.
I wish there was an easy way, but pricey rearsets, possibly from LSL would appear to be the only solution.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wish there was an easy way, but pricey rearsets, possibly from LSL would appear to be the only solution.
One thing I may try when I finally get my bike back on the road is find a piece of steel bar about the same diameter of the original shift bar, thread the normal and reverse threads on it and put a bend or two in it to clear the kickstand. To install it you'd have to take off the whole shift side foot controls and spin it on. Might take a few tries to get the proper angle for comfort on your foot though.

If I ever get this done on the bike I will definitely put up some pics as a custom bent shift bar will be loads less expensive as whole new rearsets and I don't even think the new rearsets would allow this either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts