Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scored a 955 luggage rack and a used pannier setup (including all the mounting hardware) via ebay. Paid a bit of a premium for the pannier setup (plus the exchange rate hurt, and then Canadian customs dinged me for another $100, valuing the used kit at $900 USD). Mounting hardware was fairly complete, the only thing the seller didn't ship me were the rubber boots that cover the tail light nuts, and it's now all mounted on the bike (not a fun job, BTW).

Then I scored a factory top box from my local Triumph dealer, they had one new in the box they ordered for a Tiger back in 2005 but never sold. Once again, a bit of a premium, but I wanted OEM, not a Givi, and it was RIGHT THERE begging me to take it home.

Now for the bad part (besides having three different keys to carry around!). My bike is Tornado Red. The top case is Gloss Black, and the panniers are Aston Green. The top box doesn't look that bad on the bike, and if it were just the top box, I'd consider leaving it black. But the Aston Green panniers on a Tornado Red bike, she no work.

So, I've got a project for my Christmas break (my company shuts down 24th through 2nd). Picked up some cans of Duplicolor Super Red II (thanks to a tip here on the forum), and all the prep material (sandpaper, primer, tack cloths, tape, solvent, etc).

But I'm also debating on taking the bags/boxes apart and sticking the lids in a duffel as checked baggage, and carrying them back to Florida if I fly to visit the parents over the holiday. My younger brother worked/ran a body shop for years, and my father is a gifted semi-pro body guy with all the equipment I'd need in his garage. I'd be doing all the grunt work (sanding, etc), leaving the mixing and spraying up to my brother or dad.

The downside of the "carry them to Florida and back to Vancouver" plan is they're going to be hella bulky (though not that heavy), and I'm not staying that long in Florida, a week at most, so the paint won't be cured real well before I stick them back in the duffel and entrust them to baggage handlers and customs inspectors. And I'll feel kinda crappy showing up, saying "Merry Christmas...paint my stuff!".

The upside is, I live in a freakin' crackerbox Vancouver condo. Can't do it in the parking garage, the Strata Council (Canada's version of a HOA) freaks when you check your tire pressure, I'm sure they'd be thrilled about painting. So I'd have to do it inside my condo, which won't be pretty (sanding dust, fumes, overspray worries, and possible neighbor complaints about the smell).

And it'd be aerosol painting, and while I'm not a bad hand with spray cans, it'll never be as good as a good gun with professional paint.

The other option is to find a local body shop to do the work, but so far the quotes have been outrageous, in the $450 range. Just can't justify spending that much on luggage I already paid too much for (compared to say, a Givi/SW-Motech solution).

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Croak -congrats on the score on the bags. As far as painting them. You could use them as your luggage when you go to Florida instead of crating them up.

Also make sure you clear coat them. If you are painting them yourself scuff them up with 1500grit sand paper, tack cloth them then clear them. They will be way more durable.

If it were me I would get them painted. I agree that 450 is waayyy to steep. There used to be a trades school on West 2nd just west of Clark and across from the Finning Head Office that has a body shop school in it. I think it was the Vancouver Trades College. I would take it them and they would spray them for free the students need the projects.

Just an idea, good luck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'd do the work in Florida. The results will be like night and day.

I would suggest putting the lids to the saddlebags inside the top case which you would use as a carry on. Carefully measure the outer dimensions of the top case in advance to make sure it is within the dimensions allowed for a carryon by your airline.

If not, I'd suggest pulling all the lids and finding a carryon that will fit them inside, or boxing them up and shipping them to florida, then having your dad ship them back once the paint has cured. You already bought them once so customs shouldn't nick you again.

PS - I'm facing the same thing - my bike is tornado red and I have one scratched bag lid and another bag that's green. Paintwork is in my future as well...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a yellow 00 RS that I scored bags for. I have painted them flat black to match the frame. Looks pretty good. I would like to color match them to the bike but this yellow is impossible to find :) good luck on your project.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts