Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I rode an R today, first test drive they’ve had on a 2020. It is lighter, lower, and more compact than the R3. Very easy turn in. Very smooth transmission and power delivery. It’s quiet but fast. Reminded me of a test drive I did on a V-Rod in 2004 before I bought my first R3. The headers seemed cool compared to The older R3. However, having downsized from a Rocket to a T120, I’m not sure I want to add back 200 lbs of bike.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I rode an R today, first test drive they’ve had on a 2020. It is lighter, lower, and more compact than the R3. Very easy turn in. Very smooth transmission and power delivery. It’s quiet but fast. Reminded me of a test drive I did on a V-Rod in 2004 before I bought my first R3. The headers seemed cool compared to The older R3. However, having downsized from a Rocket to a T120, I’m not sure I want to add back 200 lbs of bike.
Interesting about the headers. That’s the biggest fear I have, heat from 2500cc on my right leg! That, and how well controlled 160+ hp is on tight technical roads. I’m not a fan of touchy fueling!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having said that the size of the bike still means that a more flowing and swooping set of lines is needed rather than point and squirt sporty style. It can be done buts it's much more satisfying to pretend you're straddling a ten ton cruise missile round the curves.
I concur, at least on my TFC variant. It's not a point-and-shoot bike, but I've never felt more "settled" in a turn on a bike before. Massive comfort-inducing grip and it's nimble enough that I can throw it around S-curves without much muscle involved. It takes a conscientious lean, but that's my riding style anyway. I know physically it's impossible, but it feels like there's zero risk of losing contact on this thing and I've scraped the peg (once...only once).

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
The old Rocket’s flingability was limited by big mo (momentum). The new one somewhat less. For this kind of money, I’d expect them to offer something more than a fly screen and those douchey little side cases.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts