Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new 2020 Street Triple in for her first service and the dealership gave me a loaner to get lunch... here she is:

As I mentioned in the Street Triple forum, not necessarily my type of bike, but she was fun to ride. Lots of looks from people at stop lights and MAN she pulls!!! Felt like my arms were going to be ripped off.

Really a beautiful bike.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
They gave you a Rocket R as a loaner???? You godda be kidding! My dealer MIGHT have one by next month and I would bet my T120 he won’t be loaning it out (or even giving test rides).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I was surprised too.

When I got there, they had 2 or 3 outside so I said something about them - just to make conversation. They had emailed about taking them for test rides this past Saturday, so I was going ask what people thought of them. Next thing I knew, they were offering to let me take on for lunch. I had my choice of either the R or the GT (I took the R). I even told them I wasn't going to buy one (I just bought my Street Triple two weeks ago).

It was a fun bike and man the torque is NICE.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That’s a great looking bike. I’d definitely be loyal to a dealership that let me take a bike out for lunch. And I’d probably spend the night convincing my wife that I need another bike in the garage.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a great looking bike. I’d definitely be loyal to a dealership that let me take a bike out for lunch. And I’d probably spend the night convincing my wife that I need another bike in the garage.
I'm actually thinking about a Tiger or, maybe, a Scrambler. I think I've decided a trip up the Dalton Highway is on my "bucket list". ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm more interesting in how well it handles. Did you get a chance to bend it aroud any corners or ride on poor quality surfaces?

Paul

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm more interesting in how well it handles. Did you get a chance to bend it aroud any corners or ride on poor quality surfaces?

Paul
Not really. It was just a short 5 mile round trip in the city with a few 90 degree turns from a stop and decent streets.

I think I can say I don't think I'd be comfortable on a long trip. The seat seemed to only have one position and I was very upright so any bumps would go straight up my back.

I think cornering would be fine if you're used to the foot forward position (I'm not) and once you got used to the weight. It doesn't have the agility of a sports bike, but based on at least one review I saw it did pretty good in the twisties.

Hopefully you can test ride one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just thought of this. I'm heading back to the dealer Friday to get my heated grips installed on my Street Triple. If they offer me a loaner and it's the Rocket, I'll try to see if I can find a couple curves and/or rough roads without putting too many miles on the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They gave you a Rocket R as a loaner???? You godda be kidding! My dealer MIGHT have one by next month and I would bet my T120 he won’t be loaning it out (or even giving test rides).
mines letting me take theirs out as soon as they get it uncrated. theyre getting a red one next week. he said im the only one hed trust since ive got nearly 100k miles on my storm and ive ridden with the guys from the dealership a few times.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Around here, I usually can't even try a bike I'm about to buy (after having bought 3 new bikes from them)....not all dealers are created even it seems.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Around here, I usually can't even try a bike I'm about to buy (after having bought 3 new bikes from them)....not all dealers are created even it seems.
My previous dealer would get demo bikes to try out. He didn’t have a demo T120 but he let me ride his personal bike.

·
Registered
876 Posts
My previous dealer would get demo bikes to try out. He didn’t have a demo T120 but he let me ride his personal bike.
Yeah I mean I get that they can't have a demo for every single model...but most Triumph dealers around here have 0 demos. At least other brands usually have demo rides once a year (where they have a trailer crossing Canada with most of their popular bikes) so you can try them out. Triumph don't even do that around here.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Yeah I mean I get that they can't have a demo for every single model...but most Triumph dealers around here have 0 demos. At least other brands usually have demo rides once a year (where they have a trailer crossing Canada with most of their popular bikes) so you can try them out. Triumph don't even do that around here.
My current dealer has so many brands it would be impossible to invest in a lot of demos. Still, plunking down $25k US (out the door) without a test ride is a lot to ask for a new Rocket.

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I had my BMWs they had test ride days with no obligation, just pick any bike you like. The car dealer next door insisted I test drive some cars too, even after I said I won't be buying any. It felt like they get a commission for doing test rides.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Paul
I was lucky enough to get a test ride over here in the UK on the launch day. I got to do a few twisty roads and coming from a more sporty riding background I was seriously impressed.
The bike feels stiff in a way I really hadn't expected, the front and back always feel in shape which I was glad of on damp surfaces. The rear brake alone is as effective as the front on some bikes at scrubbing off speed (which was also helpful because speed is built up unexpectedly fast on this thing!).
I rode the R version which has pegs mounted further back and slightly forward bars. The position is very much knees in the breeze compared to my speed triple but with enough weight over the front that steering can still be managed through your arms and legs rather than being all arms like on a pure cruiser. It still takes a good tug of countersteer to get it dropping on its side and boy does it lean compared to the speedmaster or bobber. I certainly didn't want for more clearance. Having said that the size of the bike still means that a more flowing and swooping set of lines is needed rather than point and squirt sporty style. It can be done buts it's much more satisfying to pretend you're straddling a ten ton cruise missile round the curves.
Overall I would buy one as a long distance bike as well as my speed triple because I wouldn't miss not having a fairing and to cruise in style. Just need to find the funds...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts