Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the new Scrambler is home. Picked her up on Saturday and then promptly had to go out (in the cage) to pick up my tux because the new wife and I were taking formal wedding pics on Sunday the 18th. Fortunately we were blessed with gorgeous weather for the whole 3 day weekend (MLK day on Monday the 19th.)

We took a few "formal" pictures with the bikes on Sunday and then I took a short ride at the end of the day, but Monday was all mine. Unfortunately for me, the nice sunny January weather was also accompanied by some hellacious winds. But nevertheless I suited up and took off on the Scram.

It was an awesome ride! Back when I had my T-bird I avoided the twins because I figured they'd be underpowered for the kind of riding I like to do. Of course, I didn't take into account that the T-bird, fully loaded and wet, probably tipped the scales at over 600 lbs and was an ungainly pig at slow speeds. It's incredible just how quickly this 2 cyl bike can accellerate! I was frequently up to 70+ before I even knew it! Even bone stock this bike has plenty of power to haul me around at supra-legal speeds.

After fighting the wind for a couple of hours (and crosswinds that kept blowing my tank bag off the tank) I headed home to ditch the tank bag and try to ride South rather than East to avoid the wind. Stopped along a rural road South of Castle Rock (Tomah Road for those who live in the Denver/CO Springs Metro areas) and snapped a few pics:

First impressions: This bike is pure fun! The seat is a tad hard but I can move around on it so it doesn't lead to discomfort like the T-bird did.

Wind protection is needed but I'm hoping a small (and easily removable) fly screen or small shield will work OK.

Storage is going to be an issue. I couldn't get the tank bag to stay on, and I'm not crazy about tank bags anyway. I may switch to the solo seat with the rack and just strap the tank bag onto the rack behind me. I'd still like to look into saddlebags but with the exhaust on the right side I know that's going to be something of a challenge. I just don't like to hit the road without at least a basic set of tools, a bottle of water and an additional shirt (or a place to put my sweatshirt if it gets too hot.)

The tires are very noisy! This is my first "dual sport" type bike, so I suppose I should have expected that. By the time I wear out this set of tires I'll determine how much 'off pavement' riding I'm doing before choosing my next set of tires. I did take the bike onto a couple of well graded dirt roads and while it felt a bit "squirrely" it seemed to do alright. But I'm not an experienced dirt rider so I don't know how much of that is technique and how much is just having to get used to a different kind of surface.

The bike looks gorgeous and is easy to ride around. I think I'm going to love this bike and plan on keeping it for a long time!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, the first "farkle" is already on it, I put the RAM ball mount on the handlebar so I could mount the GPS on the bike. That's how I know I did 175 miles yesterday!

Future mods include the Windshield/flyscreen already mentioned, a center stand, and some method of securing luggage - either the solo seat with the rack, or a grab rail or sissy bar to which I can attach a bag. Next would probably be a skid plate and crash bars (dresser bars) to protect the engine.

The handlebar seems about perfect so I don't anticipate replacing that.

I may do the AI removal kit since that seems like a fairly easy mod to make. Does it have any downsides?

·
Registered
763 Posts
That's a good looking bike! Impressed by you for riding in January in Colorado... That had to be a tad chilly. I've been out every month in '08 and out once so far this January, but it's been mighty cold on some of those rides!

For some storage/luggage ideas, here's my Scram all loaded up for a tour:

The fly screen offers a surprising amount of relief from the wind. More than I anticipated.

The Core-Tech tank bag appears well made and has worked fine, but it's falling apart after less than a year of use. The magnets are wearing through... :mad:

Ventura's luggage rack & pack system is well worth checking out. Normally I ride with just the low luggage rack, but there's a higher insert that fits up inside that pack, and stabilizes it very nicely. It rides safe, stable and secure right behind the rider.

For tires - the originals did okay for me - but Metzler Tourances have proven far superior on pavement and work just fine on most off-pavement situations too:

Enjoy that Scrambler - they're a LOT of fun to ride!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Scrambler

Nice bike. I put a luggage rack/backrest on my Scram from newbonneville and it works pretty well for me. passangers seem to like the backrest. I installed a Spitfire windshield from Shade Tree Powersports (or something like that) and it is fairly small and unobtrusive and provides a little wind protection. price was right on it too, something like 75 bucks including shipping.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Congrats UJM! I'm looking forward to getting a Scram later this year so every new satisfied rider I hear about is music to my ears. Those are great pics - I'm a Colorado native who lived near Elizabeth for a while so I'm very familiar with Tomah Rd. I'm looking forward to a little off-roading here in the Hill Country.

And yes, I definitely remember those occasional 65 degree January days that all too often were accompanied by 65mph chinook winds. They do eat up the snow though! A lot of folks don't realize how much winter riding you can get in Colorado. I never "winterized" my bikes as I could always count on getting out at least 3 or 4 times over the winter. Hope you continue to get some great winter riding days!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Very nice pictures guys. Beautiful country on Co. and Wa..

I've been out that way a few time but always on the pavement. Looking forward to some dual sport riding in Co. Wy., and Utah this year. Had planned to take the KLR but am reconsidering, my Scram is just too much fun to leave at home!

·
Registered
59 Posts
solo seat

Hi matey i got the solo seat with rack, it's sooooo much more comfy than that plank that come's on the scrmbler as stock. Did have to take rack off and fit some large washers with one side of them cut off though. The way the rack fits to the polycarb part is not very strong and one of the bolts started to pull through. It's sorted now though. I'd post a pic but haven't worked out how to do that yet. I've done 10,000 miles on mine now and quite often do 3-400 mile round trips with no real probs ( bad back and all that ) not to sure about the Bridgestone trial wings though. Gona try something different next time i think. Steve

·
Registered
758 Posts
Good choice. I've had luck with a gel seat and better suspension fore and aft. I put a Hepco & Becker rack on, but any will be better than none. IKON progressive springs up front and Ohlins in the back - makes it a much better ride. Metzeler Tourance tires do make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Tyres

There are several people posting above saying that they don't like the Deathwing tyres fitted standard. I got rid and had some Avon Distanzas fitted the other day. My first ride on them proved what I had hoped. I was touching my toes down on damp/greasy roads. The ride was smooth and the bike steered very neutrally. Very confidence inspiring.
Note :- I've got Avons (Storm rear/Azzaro front) on the Tigger and am really pleased with them. Incredible grip.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
My first impressions

I've only done a couple of hundred miles since I got my 08EFI. It's a good fun bike but there are two problems I've noticed so far.
1) There's a stutter between 2750 & 3750rpm. Maybe I'm expecting too much but it's a 900cc engine and should be able to pull from there.
2) The suspension is CRAP. It really does need drastic surgury.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've only done a couple of hundred miles since I got my 08EFI. It's a good fun bike but there are two problems I've noticed so far.
1) There's a stutter between 2750 & 3750rpm. Maybe I'm expecting too much but it's a 900cc engine and should be able to pull from there.
Cant say that I've noticed a stutter. You might have that checked. Also, if you got an 08, it has carbs doesn't it? My 08 has carbs. (I just went back and looked at your location. In England you may be getting EFI a year before us accross the pond. So I guess your bike could be configured much differently than mine. So take the next comments in that context as well.)

The suspension needs to be taken care of immediately. For me the rear was by far the worst. The dealer ordered some custom Progressive shocks for me, built for my weight, and the bike handles much better. Still needs better fork springs, but I feel the rear shocks are weaker than the forks.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great review and great photos! I agree with your first impressions, the Scrambler is fun.

I removed my AI and no downside yet. I think it runs and sounds better. Looks better, too.

Great post, enjoy that beautiful bike.

Edit: OK, I just gotta say, I pointed a hairdryer at that "safety" sticker on the gas tank, warmed it up and it peeled right off with the ol' thumbnail. It just bugged me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had TOR's installed to make her sound as cool as she looks and have tried several tires after the Deathwings were bald at 6,000 miles... The Michelin Anakees were very good and howled a whole lot less, but, as mentioned before, the Metzeler Tourances are the way to go..... they handle excellent in both wet and dry conditions and still maintain the dual sport Scrambler look.... enjoy the bike as you get more smiles per mile than most other bikes out there.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had TOR's installed to make her sound as cool as she looks and have tried several tires after the Deathwings were bald at 6,000 miles... The Michelin Anakees were very good and howled a whole lot less, but, as mentioned before, the Metzeler Tourances are the way to go..... they handle excellent in both wet and dry conditions and still maintain the dual sport Scrambler look.... enjoy the bike as you get more smiles per mile than most other bikes out there.....
I've got Tourances on mine & they work a treat...but they on when I bought it.
I tried TORs & while it went well It was too noisy for where I live, working on an idea to take the bark out of them. back on standard mufflers...at least it only takes 10 minutes to swap.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@ 2750-3000 rpm's my 07 carbed scrambler has absolutely no hesitation or stuttering. Might want to give everything a once over just in case.

·
Registered
95 Posts
1)The rev-range you mention is where emissions are tested (in all vehicles) and, as a result, Triumph lean it out at that point. Aftermarket pipes exacerbate it, although it's more increased vibrations than a stutter. Get the bike tuned and/or keep it out of that rev range.
2)Yep. I recommend doing the fork springs first. It's a 20 minute job.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I had a fiddle with my forks whilst doing lots of other things to my bike. My impressions of the forks was that they were far too stiff. So, I got myself some 7.5W fork oil (Std. is 10W) and put that in the forks to a level of 140mm from the top of the leg with spring removed and leg fully compressed.
Why 140mm? Well, the Thruxton forks are filled to that level, whereas the Scrambler is filled to 123mm. So, if you're going to reduce the damping you also need to reduce the spring rate. The simplest way is to increase the air chamber above the oil.
I've just come back from a 100 mile ride to test it and I'm very pleased with the result. I rode a variety of roads from fast dual carriageway to bumpy back lanes covered in crap. The forks now absorb the bumps instead of crashing into them.
I have to say; I don't know if this would be too soft for dirt roads but if your riding is mainly paved roads and, like me, you think the forks come too hard, then you should give this a try.
7.5W oil to 140mm. You heard it here first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts