Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another newcomer, Triumph owner for 17 years, ’73 Tiger 750. Been shopping around for something from this century and after reading up on your comments (at least the last 35 pages) on the Trophy decided on a ’03 1200 with 11,000 miles, picked it up yesterday. Kind of like going from a Model T to a Lamborghini. To say I’m impressed is an understatement. Brakes that really work, smooth acceleration, vibration free. Still getting used to shifting and braking on the wrong sides, but don’t think I’ll miss braking the clutch free, tickling carbs, leaking push rod tubes, leaking petcocks, etc.. Do any of you have older bikes that you change back and forth with and how much problem does that cause? I’ve picked up on some of the common problems, coils, windscreen, cooling fan switch but I’m sure I’ll find a few new ones.
First on the agenda is new rubber, bike has Dunlop 202 ZR17 170/60 (rear) and 120/70 (front), handbook calls for Dunlop 220 instead of 202, Is this just a change in numbering by Dunlop? Any tire suggestions appreciated, probably will be used mostly on short commutes at modest speeds, in town type use.
Anyway, thanks for all the useful information that helped me choose a Trophy which all of you have already contributed.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Welcome aboard! Please put your City and State in your profile, we might be neighbors and no even know it.
Mark

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome too!

If these folks were kind enough to welcome me, I can return the favor. So... I'm not the "new kid" anymore. That didn't take too long.

Your decision to move up a few years in technology seems right in line with mine. I've ridden lots of bikes over the years, especially in the last few; Vstrom, FZ1, HD Sportster and Dyna's, Hondas, '05 Speedmaster, my wife's '07 Bonnie (sweet!), and of course my old KZ900. All nice for what they are, but not all are well suited to my 6'1 frame (except the Bonnie). All were in the 900 - 1500cc range except for one 600R.

I haven't had too much trouble switching between bikes, each has its own characteristics, and you know that before hopping on. Same is true between my (new to me) Trophy and the KZ. Been riding either a Z1 or KZ for many years. The more narrow handlebars on the Trophy took a few minutes to get used to, but it has a lot to offer for only a little learning curve.

Re: tires - I have a new (stock size) set of Michelin radials on my Trophy. The tires still have the little nipples on them so they've not been run much yet. I've speed tested them to the severe penalty territory and they both ride smooth and stick to the road pretty well.

I have Bridgestones on my KZ and they've taken me into the illegal range very nicely on more than one occasion. Hope this helps. BTW - Beautiful pair of bikes, but I think green is a faster color for the Trophy! :D

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Welcome JIm......looks like this is the month for us guys with the same first name!! You mentioned not having to "clear the clutch" on the Trophy...however, I found that mine will be stuck when I first start it in the morning, not bad, mind you, but enough to make the bike jump forward and, as it's a top-heavy bike, that can be a bit unnerving. I always pull the clutch in and give it a couple of quick revs in neutral then let it idle down before dropping it in gear. Works like a charm!

Just in case, you understand: Jim

·
Registered
348 Posts
My first trumpet was exactly like yours. I bought her chopped(actually someone put 12" over tubes on her) and painted black. I did a strip down, went to 2" over tubes, stripped the paint(found out she's originally blue), painted her a nice cadillac deep brown and cleaned her up.
Loved that bike!

Carry on!

They say the red's are the fastest but I know the blues are the coolest.;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jim.

I guess it's ok for a Sprint owner to post here. Very nice looking Trophy. Looks brand new. The last tires I bought for my 07 Sprint were Michelin Pilot Road 2. I do not have many miles on them but I like them so far. Much better than the stock Bridgestones that were on the bike.
Have fun.

·
Registered
338 Posts
netmaker

Metzeler is my preference simply because motorcycle tires are what they specialize in manufacturing. I have several bikes and all shod with that brand and no problems that create concern. Nice looking bike and I like the colour as same as mine. As you develop experience with the bike there will be questions and there is a wealth of knowledge available on this site so do not hesitate to ask.

·
30,527 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim - great bikes!

have fun on the bikes and in the forum!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome folks, ended up ordering Avon Storm and hope to get them on tomorrow. Took a short ride to breakfast Saturday and loved it, but since cord was showing on the back tire decided the better part of valor was to wait on any further rides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts