Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory - I bought this in Jan for a good price as a "ready to run" bike with a bunch of spares.

I rode it one day. It didn't have the pickup/go I expected. The second time I tried to ride it, it wouldn't start.

A more signifigant inspection (at you guy's suggestion) found the tank rusty . It took me since Jan to get it all sorted out.

The bike runs great. It actually has more off the line grunt than my 900 Trophy.

In the end, I -
Sealed the tank with Caswell Sealer (it was full of rust. shaking the tank after draining the fuel and hearing all the rust rattling around in there was awful)
replaced the fuel tap seals (just in case/because)
Cleaned the in tank filters (both wer 95% plugged.)
Someone had already added an inline filter, it was plugged so I replaced it.
Replaced the Coils with Nologys (mostly as a preventative measure)
Replaced the chain & sprockets (worn) and rear tire (worn/old)
Flushed the coolant (it was nasty)

I decided to stop there, since it was obvious the previous owner had fuel system problems (the extra filter, the roll over valve removed, fuel tank bolts is-matched, new spark plugs - stuff like that). I suspected they'd already done the carbs, and hoped the extra filter was adeqate protection.

My gamble was a good one. Once I remembered to put fuel in tank, it fired right up. I will admit to about 5 min of absolute panic and dread as I tried to figure out what I'd mucked up. I'd basically resigned myself to it being the carbs until I realized it wasn't flooding. Whoops. Yes I was easy on the started/sprag clutch. I actually tried to start it for a few minutes and then put the battery back on charge and did some other things, so I wasn't trying to start on a less than full battery.

I rode it around enough to recognize that the performance issues are gone. It now needs the front brake pads replaced and to check the coolant level and I'm declaring it good to go!

Thanks to everyone who commented on my previous threads as I worked through these issues.

Scott

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The previous owner wasn't neglectful. He gave me a stack of service records. He was trusting a shop that probably didn't realize or didn't want to do that much work.

I did flush the coolant system out.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Well done Scott, and thanks for posting up :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, thanks to weather, work and health, I didn't get many rides in.

Started on the way to work in early Feb when my right arm went numb - had to turn around and get the car.

Got that all sorted out and started for work Wed and got just 8 miles from home when it quit. I pushed it off the freeway and let it cool and it did fire back up, but only ran for about a mile before it quit again. I was tired of pushing and let Roadside Assistance bring me home I suspect the ignition sensor. I have spares, I'll get it swapped this weekend. Its currently joined my Trophy (sprang clutch) as something to trip over in the garage.

That's 3 times I've tried to ride it to work and couldn't. I wonder if that's an omen.

Scott

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
That sounds like the crank pickup coil. Mine went out. It took me about 3 hrs to get home, 12 miles. It would run for a few minutes, then die, like turning the key off. I'd wait 20-30 minutes each time for the pickup sensor to cool down and the open circuit to close, and then it would start and run, but only until the little pickup coil heated up and went open again. It's very frustrating, but very simple to fix.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I didn't see carb removal on your list, and I am suspicious that uour problem is still fuel related and not pick up coil. That being said, having a spare pick up coil on the bike for long trips is still a good idea.
Now, getting back to your symptoms...
It is not impossible that an entirely unrelated part could go south when you are dealing with a different issue, but it is unlikely.
Considering the three essentials of air, fuel and spark on our bikes, two of these systems have the most issues. Specifically the coils, which you have addressed, and the cleanliness of the fuel system. This second one can be a tough nut to crack, as it has many potential issues. Keep in mind that the requirement is adequate fuel delivery from the tank all the way to the cylinder. You have corrected the source of the sediment contaminent with your Caswell kit. Ditto for the petcock and screens. Your problem is downstream, and I am guessing inline filter, kinked fuel hose or plugged duckbill. My money is on the duckbill. It may be seeping enough fuel to partially fill your float bowls, which you use up until it quits, then slowly refills them as it sits by the road, and then the cycle repeats. I had this exact issue last summer with my Tiger, and the symptoms mock the pick up coil perfectly. This is easy to test. Run it until it quits, and then immediately open the float bowl drain on carb #1. If little or no fuel comes out, your problem is fuel related.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
When it died, did the oil pressure warning light (red) come on, or didn't you notice?

If it didn't then it could also be the ignition switch.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ssevy -
You're right, I have not serviced the carbs. Its enough work that I'm hoping its not (immediately) necessary. I should share that I have gotten some rides in, hour here, hour there and its run fine.

Arfer -
I read about that when searching on the forum. The oil light did come on. It would come on, go out when cranking, come back. Though I would have liked (to be thorough) to cycle the ignition and kill switches - but I didn't think about it at the time.

I had some unexpected free time last night, so I swapped out the Ignition sensor.. I didn't have a chance to ride it, but did let it idle up to the fan coming on. No issues.

I'm home waiting for a delivery today. Once that arrives I'll get out on it and make sure it doesn't give me any problems.

Scott

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got in about 70 mile or riding around the house and it was fine, so I dared to ride to work (80mi each way). Got to work fine. Fortunately I'm persistent/stubborn, so 3 strikes meant nothing.

I do tend to thinks ssevy is right and I need to go through the carbs; it starts a lot harder than it should - but its fine once running.

I'll wait on that till I get my Trophy running again.

Scott

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Well, it's definitely not the pickup coil then. It would have died as soon as it got hot, every time.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Like ssevy says, could be a fuel delivery problem, or even a fuel tank not venting properly. To check the latter you can try loosening the filler cap to see if it cures it.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Oh! Ok.
Glad you got it fixed. :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... but there is still some other problem with it based on starting rough, which I DO Believe to be in the carbs. But, I am ECSTATIC that its suited to get me to work. A 2nd day now.

Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts