Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my ABS T-bird today. I hate to repeat what others have said here, but this thing handles like a dream! This is my first bike; never having ridden anything other than the 250cc bikes during the MSF course (two half days of riding) and one 15 min test ride, nevertheless this bike put me at ease immediately and "guided" me through some challenging (at least for a noobie) manuvres on my ride home.
After collecting the bike, my 19 yr old son and his friend followed me in the car a little while and they pulled in behind me when I stopped for some water (it's pushing 100 degrees F here today). My son asked me if I was having trouble with the gears and why was I going so slow ... After hydrating a bit, I gave him my ATM card and told him and his friend to go ahead home and perhaps catch a movie (I didn't need him behind me wondering why I'm not punching it).

Driving south from Frederick, MD on Rt. 355 I stopped at the Monocacy Battle Field. Two interesting things about this Battle site, it's the last battle the South was able to carry out in Northern territory and while the South won the battle, they were delayed sufficiently on their march to Washington, DC that the Union troops were able to mount defenses sufficient enough and in time to push back the Rebel attack. The other thing that happened here two years prior to the battle I just mentioned, and is more interesting to me, is this is the location where some Rebels camped and lost General Lee's Maryland campaign order of battle, which was in an envelope and wrapped around three cigars. The next day after the Rebels broke camp, or shortly thereafter, some Union troops camped at that same place and found the cigars and Lee's plans, which led the Union troops to intercept Lee with good confidence at Sharpsburg and the Battle of Antietam ensued. The cigars with Lee's orders was lost and found near these barns.

After leaving the battle field, I continued south on Rt. 355 (the same route the Rebels took on their way to attack Washington), turning right on "Old Hundredth Road" (Rt. 109) toward Poolesville, MD.

Rt. 109 to Poolesville and beyond to Whites Ferry presents some really nice rolling farm country with some smooth up and down twisties. White's Ferry is the only remaining operating Ferry on the Potomac river. The ferry boat is named the "General Jubal A. Early" for the Confederate General who fought that battle at Monacacy and mounted the attack on Washington. After being turned away at Washington, he backtracked to here and crossed into Virginia.

In this picture of the ferry boat, you can see on the other side of the river one of the challenging manuvres this sweet handling bike got this noobie through. That's a pretty steep incline leading from the river bank with a rapid turn to the right while going uphill and a switch back 180 degrees to the left as I reached the crest of the hill. I know that's not much for you guys, but for me the pucker factor was high, but the T-Bird handled like silk.
Oh, by the way; because I had given my ATM to my smart a$$ son and his friend and I didn't realize I didn't have any cash except ironically a 10 British Pounds note, I didn't have any money for the ferry ride ($3.00). They said they didn't want my "for'in" money and I promised to run $3.00 by tomorrow morning on my ride north in an attempt to rack of some break-in miles and some more experience.
Once on the other side, back into my state of Virginia, I headed south on US 15 past Leesburg and caught the toll road toward Washington and toward home.
On the toll road I was able to wind it out a bit and man does this thing kick. I had to hang on tight while twisting the throttle!!
I got home in no time, drenched from the high temperatures and rushing with adrenaline!
This is an absolutely fantastic bike, even for a new rider.

Oh, and here's a picture of the "fuggly" ABS ring. I don't mind it too much since I can't see it when I'm going fast ..

·
Registered
452 Posts
Congrats Man..... She is sweet.

This is exactly what I want ABS and Blue and White. Put a heavy chain on tonite, or I tempt to steal the bike since it is a easy drive for me. :p

My dealer says if I order now, I am looking at Sept delivery.

Edited:
BTW, there is nothing wrong with the ABS ring. I love it. Just one more conversational pieces at the water hole :)

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
Congrats hyper. Another great lookin' birg. Have fun with her. Looks like you've got some good roads to play on.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Congratulations Don. You sure picked out a beautiful bike. And your first one you say? Man... that's got to be an awesome feeling. Keep the rubber side down and the 19 year old far, far away from it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Oh, and here's a picture of the "fuggly" ABS ring.
It's not fuggly!
But that there orange reflector sure is! ;)

Great to hear your experiences - glad your so hyped. btw - being hyped has nowt to do with your tag does it?

Take care and enjoy...

·
Registered
168 Posts
A proper job Hyper, well done sir, ride and enjoy, an awesome bike to be sure
and thanks for the history, very interesting, I hopefully will be joining you if you will on September 1.... ;-)

Kindest regards
Alan

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
congrats Hyper,

As a new rider, waiting for the ABS model was the right thing to do and what I should have done.

Great pictures and interesting history as well.

I do let my son ride my Thunderbird, but I make him leave me his FJR as collateral;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also would like to send my congrats! Whether you're a newbie or a veteran that first ride on a new (bigger) bike is always a great thrill!

Can't wait to get mine! (still waiting . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ................................................!!!!!!#&%@@!!

Clarke

·
Banned
530 Posts
Congrats treat her like your women . Get on her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.

My dealer says if I order now, I am looking at Sept delivery.

Edited:
BTW, there is nothing wrong with the ABS ring. I love it. Just one more conversational pieces at the water hole :)
Best of luck with that . I was told by the dealer 4 weeks delivery for the non abs version . Once ordered Triumph have said mid October for mine. That was 4 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!

To answer some of your questions ... yep, this is my first bike. my first wife wouldn't let me get one and I don't let the second wife tell what I can't do .. :)

I don't think the ABS ring is "fuggly" either, but someone here commented about it being "fuggly" so I was just echoing that. And yes, the reflectors are "fuggly" indeed and plan to remove them as soon as I get it inspected (Virginia doesn't accept a Maryland inspection - I think it has something to do with the war of Northern Agression, but I'm not sure). My Maryland dealer told me they have to be on the bike to pass inspection. Thatch has a nice photo in the photo section with his sans reflectors and it looks so much better. Check it out.

The passenger seat on the top shelf of my pantry ... I took it off because no one in my family is interested in riding pillon (son says it would be gay, two guys on a bile (his words, not mine), daughter is too afraid, and second wife wants not part).. Besides, I really like the clean look with it off.

ClarkeK - I sincerely hope you get yours soon. Since ABS units are arriving on the east coast, I'm sure it won't be long now. (Your dealer didn't pi$$ someone off at Triumph America, did they??)

being "hype" isn't the reason for my tag ... "hypervista technologies" is the name of my company..:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just got my email saying my ABS Thunderbird has been dispatched (yesterday) to my dealer. I've already taken the non-ABS floor model so I don't know who'll get this one. Anyone in BC Canada or WA USA looking for a Black ABS model in double quick time?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts