Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Well, I think I got sort of lucky. This bloke local to me had a 68 Bonnie in excellent condition: He cleaned out sludge trap, had a bore job done with new pistions, had frame and parts spray (I dont think powder coating on frame though), re-caded a lot of the hardware. Had a beautiful tank spray job done and has many of original parts, also had wheels chromed with new alu spokes.

Only problem is: no electrics and various other bits and peices. He had to give up the project due to kids. I picked it up for $1,700 with a clear NC title. I'm happy!

Anyway, im a bit overwhelmed where to start. Heres my very rough idea:

1.secure wheels frame (its a bit shaky) with proper hardware and get brakes setup on wheels.

2. Take off cyclinder head and see whats going on in there.

3. Setup cyclinder head/tappets etc.

4. Setup Carbs (new Amals) with cables etc.

5. Setup Electrics (this is the big one-these not wiring done but he did give me a new harness but isnt sure if it fits the bike).

6. Fix buy all the other little bits and pieces needed.

Ive added tons of pics here. Please let me know what you think and how you would proceed with this project.
Also (and this is BIG!!!) I have only a $2,000 budget-is that enough?

Cheers once again for you valued feedback.
Kevin.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no info on the head eh?

you could do a compression test on the bike before you remove the head.

did any of the coil holders come with?

you have a manual? and the parts book?

here they are in pdf form, might help:

repair:

http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Repair/63-70-650cc-Repair.pdf

parts: (1966)

http://www.choppedtriumphs.net/files/-66_650.pdf

parts: (1970)

http://www.choppedtriumphs.net/files/70_650_parts.pdf
Thanks Jim,
Yes, came with coil holders-you can just see the bottom of one in one of the pictures.
I dont have a compression tester. Guess its a good time to get one!
I kicked it over and it was VERY had to kick over. Im not sure if thats normal for Triumphs or just because of the new pistons/ings.
The work was done on the bike about 6 years ago and had been sitting around since then. I think I'll take the head off and see what state the barrells are in.

One thing that bothered me is the bike was sitting in his garage and he did not put anything in the carb inlets on the barrells so any dirt/creppy crawlies could have got into the barrells over the years.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Kev,

Nice bike for starter, and glad you got the NC title with it as
well. Good deal.

You list is a good start, but as always, finishing someone elses
work you really have to check everything over carefully. And
that does mean everything.

Pookybear

·
Registered
162 Posts
hmmm!

" VERY had to kick over". very is relative of course, new engines are a bit stiff but you should be able to get a bit of a spin after the kick with the plugs out.

could be a few things, a light coating of rust, and or the rings not having the right end gaps on the rebuild. you of course put some oil in the cylinders with the plugs out and tried a kickover? if theres enough rust in there it can break your rings OR the piston ring lands when you get it running. broken rings usually score the cylinders and if they break through the upper land or ring groove they beat the inside of the head and can take out the valves too.

if theres a Ridge at the cyl. top that has'nt been reamed properly that's another ring breaker, the bottom of the ridge is rounded by ring wear and the new rings are square. definitely a problem that will break them.

rebuilds can be anything from just right to just slamming parts together so a good inspect is definitely worth it. don't let the rods bang the cases if you pull the cylinders off !

off to the swap meet in Tsawwassen! later gang!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kev,

Nice bike for starter, and glad you got the NC title with it as
well. Good deal.

You list is a good start, but as always, finishing someone elses
work you really have to check everything over carefully. And
that does mean everything.

Pookybear

Thanks. Yes, I've ordered a 68 part book. I just want to get everything "tight" regarding frame/wheels/brakes etc. There's nuts and bolts missing here and there. The guy had stripped the whole thing down and some things got lost. That will keep me busy for weeks.

Then I can get to the engine and electrics.

This is going to take longer than I thought!

·
Registered
2 Posts
bonnie

Thanks. Yes, I've ordered a 68 part book. I just want to get everything "tight" regarding frame/wheels/brakes etc. There's nuts and bolts missing here and there. The guy had stripped the whole thing down and some things got lost. That will keep me busy for weeks.

Then I can get to the engine and electrics.

This is going to take longer than I thought!

hi just got a 68 bonnie any pics of yours thx mike

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, its funny you just dug up this thread. Almost 2 years to the day I bought the bike. And its a matter of days now for when I attempt to fire it up.
Stay tuned for more info soon......!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts