Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2003 TBS
1,475 Posts
Very nice, congratulations. Saw one for the first time yesterday in Daytona Beach. If I were 100 years younger.......

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
735 Posts
Really nice looking Bike, lucky u! Enjoy!.... FTG

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So...help me out here...this is the first time for me riding with a slipper clutch AND It's been years since I last rode. That being stated...I've been struggling with smoothing out my shifts.
I've been really jerking the shifts and I know I have to somehow adjust my lever controls to get better. Any other suggestions....besides getting more practice?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
factory levers were lacking on my T120 + street scrambler, adjustments were not enough + my hards are not small. got some nice looking chinese levers of E-bay + all is well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
After what seemed like forever....I finally got to ride this home.

That low end torque is just....WOW! I almost flew off the handle bar.

I have lots of questions for all you seasoned riders...so more to follow.
Cheers!

View attachment 753973
Wow. You felt that much torque on take off? I pick mine up in a week or so, am looking forward to transitioning from a Bonneville. What was your last bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. You felt that much torque on take off? I pick mine up in a week or so, am looking forward to transitioning from a Bonneville. What was your last bike?

Yes I did. I was already expecting that torque based off the reviews, but was still surprised when I first rode it.

I had the Suzuki Boulevard M50.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes I did. I was already expecting that torque based off the reviews, but was still surprised when I first rode it.

I had the Suzuki Boulevard M50.
You just turned the anticipation level up!

Are you thinking of picking up any of the protection accessories?

(I’m considering picking up frame sliders, front axel sliders and rear bobbins and leaving the engine casing.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You just turned the anticipation level up!

Are you thinking of picking up any of the protection accessories?

(I’m considering picking up frame sliders, front axel sliders and rear bobbins and leaving the engine casing.)

I'm waiting for a few items that I've ordered...
  • bar end mirrors (speed twin)
  • frame sliders

The quick shifter is currently on back order and am still thinking about the engine cover kit.

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
735 Posts
If your fork tubes r anodized As far as the fork reflectors usually u should b able to pull them of with some force it's a real strong adhesive backing. Then use some goo gone to remove the adhesive residue.
But if the fork tubes r painted that could b a different story.....Ftg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If your fork tubes r anodized As far as the fork reflectors usually u should b able to pull them of with some force it's a real strong adhesive backing. Then use some goo gone to remove the adhesive residue.
But if the fork tubes r painted that could b a different story.....Ftg
I applied heat with a hairdryer for a minute and yanked it off with my hands. I will remove the double sided tape with alcohol.
Awesome! Thanks for the visual (y)(y)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the visual (y)(y)
The tape is 3M VHB tape, you can actually remove it by spraying WD40 behind it, let it sit for a few min, then pull from the front of the bike back (or back to front) and it will come right off with no residue. Then just wash the WD40 off.

WD40 is made from the same stuff as the 3M adhesive removers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Actually, I used the hairdryer to continue to heat the residue and rubbed it off with a towel.
I was worried WD40 might get on the brake disks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually, I used the hairdryer to continue to heat the residue and rubbed it off with a towel.
I was worried WD40 might get on the brake disks.
Unless you’re spraying wd40 directly on the brakes, it won’t be an issue. The little bit of overspray will be gone the first time you hit the brakes. If you got it on there, a little brake clean on a rag will get it off. Im not saying soak the forks in WD40, just spray a little onto the adhesive and let it sit. Putting a towel below it will catch any overspray for dripping down.

Again, to each their own, but I’ve been using WD40 for stuff like this for years, on both cars and bikes. The goo-gone stuff has the same slickness as WD40 does, however it is a little bit more aggressive and harder to get off. The citric acid in it can damage softer materials.

FYI - if you have adhesive left over from old wheel weights and can’t get it off, same thing.. try some WD40

1 - 20 of 28 Posts