Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked it up this afternoon @ MCC in Villa Park, IL. I have the honor to have THE FIRST Thunderbird for public consumption. My brother gets #2, but they are not done with the prep on it yet.

All I can say is this thing pulls like a freight train and takes the corners like a champ. But if you are tall like me, you'll want some forward control extensions ASAP.

The bittersweet thing is that I have to leave town tomorrow morning so I really can't ride that much today. So I'm off to get some miles on while I still can.

Laters!

Attachments

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Oh man ! they are indeed here aren\'t they !? Someone elsewhere said his dealer has one on the floor too. So i gotta figure i may be getting a call here very soon, and words like excited and anxious don\'t begin to describe how i feel !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
congrats, it looks great (and in my color as well)

I just had the wind taken out of my sails a bit today. I went to the dealer and was told that the ABS models are 2 weeks or so behind the regular models. It could be mid July before I get mine. Here I was thinking I was about a week away and now this..... not a good day.

.. it was for you thats for sure

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
yeah, but really in the scheme of things 2 weeks is the blink of an eye. You\'ll have it soon enough, and down the road it will seem foolish to have worried about 2 weeks. We\'ll all have them plenty soon enough.

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
Actually, one thing has bothered me about the ABS. One review made a comment about the fact that the unit is 'tacked onto the side' in an ugly / obvious way. That would bother me, but I've been unable to find pictures of the bike with ABS to know if it's a problem or not.

The forward control issue is going to be a pain though. I've got my dealer on the hunt for a solution already.

J

·
Registered
67 Posts
Questions Galore

.... But if you are tall like me, you'll want some forward control extensions ASAP.
You are the first Triumphratnet owner on the planet, so loads of questions...........

How tall are you Dr Kaos ? legs longer than 33" inseam ?
How much further do you need to extend to be comfortable ?
How are the height of the handlebars ?
How is the actual sound in real life, does it sound Harley potato potato as reported earlier ?
Someone on a review said his right ankle was catching on the casings have you found this to be true?
Does it pull torque like, like a train, or is it revvy and fast on accelaration ?

Lots more details please for us deprived suckers !!

Thanks
John

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
I'll echo the height questions. I'm pretty concerned about this one. I have the dealer searching for a solution to this already. I've not seen any Triumph forward control extensions period, much less for the tbird so I suspect it will have to be a custom build part... not looking forward to that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I plan to give you one as soon as I am done licking the chrome :D:D:D

They tell me there is a minor scratch on the front fender, supposedly they talked to Triumph and they will be sending a new fender just as soon as they have a part number to order it.

I may not be able to have it yet as they have to do the PA State Inspection and they didnt receive all the paperwork from Triumph yet.

I will let you know how it turns out and will try to post up a few pics for you all!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
That happened to my speedmaster too ! Apparently triumph has some sort of problem keeping front fenders from getting scratched before delivery. :) On mine however, when the put a new one on from another bike as i waited to take delivery, but the mechanic didn't tighten the bolts and the caliper popped off while i was riding !!! (luckily the bottom bolt was still there so it didn't fall all the way off) Watch those "trained" mechanics man....1/2 of em i don't think are competent enough to be working on tricycles let alone motorcycles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As you some of ya know I picked up my bike last night. Put about 50 miles on it, fastest I took it was 100 mph. I must say, what a sweet ride! Smooth, handles exceptionally well, runs nice and easy with a good bit of torque in every gear.

To answer John's questions, I have a 30" inseam and was rather comfortable. Highway pegs would be a nice addition for long rides though just to stretch out. Handlebars seem fine but I would mind having them about an 1" closer.

The stock pipe sound is okay, but I prefer loud and obnoxious. The stock sound does resemble the "wanna be" asian bikes but sounds richer I think. I did order the other pipes but like the ABS bikes, you can't get them yet. I am told they will be a good bit louder and should add a little more power (not that it really needs more of it)

As far as the torque, yea it pulls. I am very very happy so far. The damn thing has this "whirling" sound like it has a friggin blower or turbo on it. at first it bothered me but the more I listened to it the more I liked it. I am sure louder pipes will drown most of it out.

All in all, the bike is cool. I really like the way it handles too. Of course the weather here today is rain but hopefully it will clear so I can put a few more miles on it today. I added a few pics just to teeze ya all! Well I tried to anyways, not sure why they won't load. I'll keep trying to get them up.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
Very cool, thanks for the update. If you need a place to host those files let me know and I'll throw them on my server for you.

Glad to hear you got to actually take possession of it, wasn't sure if you had or not.

I've already been shopping for control extensions but no luck so far. with a 36" inseam I'm thinking things will be pretty tight on there for me.

Hope the weather clears up for you soon. Think of all those people that won't get the treat of seeing your new bike if it doesn't. :D

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
Oh, one more thing. I stopped by the dealership today (yes again) to check on the switch in my order. Everything is sorted and I've been told I should be getting my bike next week. I don't have an email yet, just the verbal so we shall see.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts