Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lads and lassies let me share today's excellent adventure if I may.. Today was a gorgeous day, i did all my yard work, had a power nap, and took the bike out for a tonk. On the ride home, I'm coming down a long grade, out it the hills of western Connecticut. I'm 200' from a stop sign, going 35, and slowing for the stop. A woman backs out of a driveway on my left, gets in my lane, and stops....no problem, beautiful day, riding is tooz mode, she heads to the stop sign, and turns right,(no signal), as do I. I've learned over the years to give women in Volvo wagons a wide berth, I'm calm, and in no hurry. All is well. For the next seven miles, I hang back, there are cars coming in the opposite direction, it's a 40 zone and the LEOs patrol often. I'm calm...did I say that? We are now almost to the center of a small town, and I now have two lanes to choose from. The Volvo starts a move to her right (no signal), so I signal my intentions, dip left, and as I am moving into the left lane, and she slides right over (no signal), in front of me- I AM STILL CALM. But I decide the hell with this, I need some relief, so I signal right, dip, and, you got it, she's slowing and moving right...mirror/ head check, signal left, move, and THE VOLVO IS SQUEEZING ME FROM THE RIGHT. I am now on the double yellow line, at maybe 15 mph, stopping as she is pushing me, and now we're stopped, I am looking right in her window, palm upraised, visor snaps up and I question her sanity in a rather vocal manor. I want to let it go, so I drop the bike into first, to gain back the lane, as I am on the double yellow, with cars going in the opposite direction. We're close to a traffic light so fortunately, opposing traffic is moving slowly. As I begin to let the clutch out, she very deliberately turns her wheels left, almost into me, as she is now asserting HER right to the lane. This jockeying continues for 4 or5 seconds, and i just lose it- she's still basically right next to me, and I have no where to go, she threatening me with her vehicle...I reach out a smack the mirror, and the glass shatters. Traffic in front of us has started to move, but I can't- she's tight next to me, cars are coming towards me...I know I'm wrong, I lost my calm, and the driver behind her is out, yelling at me, she snaps of photo of my plate, the Volvo driver is out now, screaming at ME!! I pull to the shoulder, take off my lid, the cops show up, he listens to my side of the story, strolls over to the women, more cops now, cop comes back, and says to me "put your hands behind your back", and as i reply "are you kidding me"?, his partner pulls out a Taser unit and offer me a blast. In short order, I am cuffed, and in the back seat of a cruiser. 45 Minutes later, my bike has been impounded, and I'm being booked for "criminal mischief", and "breach of peace"...2 hours, in a cell, I am released, bike being help overnight, out with no bail, and I have a court appearance July 7th...this is fair? I did break her mirror, yes, - no excuses. But where does the predicament she put me in come into play? I don't have the resources or the particular inclination to pursue this, as i cannot prove my side of the story, but the bias against me as a motorcyclist is painfully obvious.

Thanks for letting me vent-
denoose

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Ughhhhh..... That is pain in the butt. I don't see the criminal portion. I agree replace the mirror and move on. Hopefully that is where it ends.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Very unfortunate turn of events.

I think your options ought to be factored by how important a criminal mischief and/or breach of peace conviction would be to you and your personal circumstances.

If it had happened to me, I wouldn't care about the convictions and they would be a good story to laugh about.....later.

But, to other people, those convictions, minor as they are, could become significant in regards to other personal situations. If that is your case, money spent for representation might be money well spent, onerous as that might be.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
......... I've learned over the years to give women in Volvo wagons a wide berth...........

Road rage is all about cause and action, she was the cause and you took the action. As Iceman says it's the retaliatory action that gets punished. I'd state my case, offer to pay for the damage and take heed of your own experience, avoid women in Volvo's and any other car for that matter, mostly they are not concentrating on driving.

Work to the assumption that all drivers are out to get you and you'll get along fine. If it's any consolation we've all experienced something similar and wanted to do the same thing, some of us have.

----------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Totally sucks. Having someone threaten you with their 3000lb vehicle is like having a gun pointed at you when you are on a motorcycle.

I hate disrespectful drivers that are not willing to share the road. In the end though, it's not really about winning or loosing. I do agree with you that the bike always seems to loose. Here in Chicago we had a woman painting her nails hit a kill a mother on her bike. She was charged with something very minor (probably less than your charge).

I agree with the idea of apologizing, paying for the mirror and moving on. And maybe turning onto another road so you don't have to see the idiot driver next time :).

I feel for you man.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Go to court, tell the judge it was the mirror you your life.. If you didn't brake the mirror she might of run you over. that was you only way to get her to stop what she was doing before she ran over you/ killed you.

If she has people there on her side ask if they saw what happen before the mirror or if all they saw was the mirror. it will not do her any good when you tell them yep i broke it, I will pay of it, small price to pay for my life.

and you can always drive by her place and toss out some roofing nails in the driveway, just a thought.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Sorry to hear denoose, tough luck

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
+1 or your going to jail up to 30 days. Criminal mischief is one thing, breach of the peace, is another. They will probably drop one charge and smack you on the other. This is not a good situation. Offering to pay for the mirror is the least of your worries. They'll make you pay for it anyway, plus a fine and court costs. This is not just a ticket offense, it's a 3rd degree misdemeanor and carries a jail sentence with it.

Your best bet is to get a lawyer and you might get probation and community service. It doesn't matter if she did all this to begin with. You escalated the problem by breaking her mirror. You should have stopped let her have the road. Pulled over got her license plate and reported her for vehicular endangerment.

Calm or not you really are in trouble here and need legal representation. Good Luck, because your going to need it.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should definitely get lawyered-up.

Did I read your post properly, ie that the cop tased you? If so, was the encounter captured on video (eg from the patrol car)? Was the tasing lawful - did the cop comply with all legal requirements or relevant guidelines? Have you seen any statements taken from the Volvo driver or the other driver?

This would not be a good time to represent yourself - get professional help.

·
Registered
964 Posts
It sounds like a set-up to me. Get a lawyer, have him check to see if these two individuals (Volvo driver and the photo taker) knew each other; if so,they may have an agenda that you may not be aware of. From your description of her driving, it appears that she was deliberately trying to bait you. Stanger things have happened. It don't pay to get ignorant, at least in front of witnesses. ......................James.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Thats what hammers are for.

I believe some "old school" type "bikers" used to carry ball peen hammers in a type of holster on the side of their bikes for just such occasions...course people didn't have cameras back then (but I guess they could memorize license plates)...I guess those guys didn't care about convictions, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Go to court, tell the judge it was the mirror you your life.. If you didn't brake the mirror she might of run you over. that was you only way to get her to stop what she was doing before she ran over you/ killed you.
That would be my call.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Good luck, man. That sounds like the kind of thing I would get a lawyer for.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
509 Posts
Get a good criminal lawyer right now. They usually come in to work about 9 or 9:30 in the morning. Call one.

You are in serious trouble even if all the events you describe seem minor. A conviction for a 3rd degree misdemeanor is no joke and will impact things like job applications and anything else that results in a background check for the rest of your life.

A lawyer may well be able to get the charges reduced to something you can plead to and wind up without a criminal record. That should be your goal. The judge is not going to be sympathetic to your diatrabe about her poor driving. You are the big, bad biker who escalated things to a criminal level.

Whatever fee you have to pay and whatever restitution you have to make will be well worth it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some Advice.......

Well lads and lassies let me share today's excellent adventure if I may.. Today was a gorgeous day, i did all my yard work, had a power nap, and took the bike out for a tonk. On the ride home, I'm coming down a long grade, out it the hills of western Connecticut. I'm 200' from a stop sign, going 35, and slowing for the stop. A woman backs out of a driveway on my left, gets in my lane, and stops....no problem, beautiful day, riding is tooz mode, she heads to the stop sign, and turns right,(no signal), as do I. I've learned over the years to give women in Volvo wagons a wide berth, I'm calm, and in no hurry. All is well. For the next seven miles, I hang back, there are cars coming in the opposite direction, it's a 40 zone and the LEOs patrol often. I'm calm...did I say that? We are now almost to the center of a small town, and I now have two lanes to choose from. The Volvo starts a move to her right (no signal), so I signal my intentions, dip left, and as I am moving into the left lane, and she slides right over (no signal), in front of me- I AM STILL CALM. But I decide the hell with this, I need some relief, so I signal right, dip, and, you got it, she's slowing and moving right...mirror/ head check, signal left, move, and THE VOLVO IS SQUEEZING ME FROM THE RIGHT. I am now on the double yellow line, at maybe 15 mph, stopping as she is pushing me, and now we're stopped, I am looking right in her window, palm upraised, visor snaps up and I question her sanity in a rather vocal manor. I want to let it go, so I drop the bike into first, to gain back the lane, as I am on the double yellow, with cars going in the opposite direction. We're close to a traffic light so fortunately, opposing traffic is moving slowly. As I begin to let the clutch out, she very deliberately turns her wheels left, almost into me, as she is now asserting HER right to the lane. This jockeying continues for 4 or5 seconds, and i just lose it- she's still basically right next to me, and I have no where to go, she threatening me with her vehicle...I reach out a smack the mirror, and the glass shatters. Traffic in front of us has started to move, but I can't- she's tight next to me, cars are coming towards me...I know I'm wrong, I lost my calm, and the driver behind her is out, yelling at me, she snaps of photo of my plate, the Volvo driver is out now, screaming at ME!! I pull to the shoulder, take off my lid, the cops show up, he listens to my side of the story, strolls over to the women, more cops now, cop comes back, and says to me "put your hands behind your back", and as i reply "are you kidding me"?, his partner pulls out a Taser unit and offer me a blast. In short order, I am cuffed, and in the back seat of a cruiser. 45 Minutes later, my bike has been impounded, and I'm being booked for "criminal mischief", and "breach of peace"...2 hours, in a cell, I am released, bike being help overnight, out with no bail, and I have a court appearance July 7th...this is fair? I did break her mirror, yes, - no excuses. But where does the predicament she put me in come into play? I don't have the resources or the particular inclination to pursue this, as i cannot prove my side of the story, but the bias against me as a motorcyclist is painfully obvious.

Thanks for letting me vent-
denoose
Denoose,

As state laws progress year to year the hammer is getting heavier on incidents considered road rage. This is one of those times where a Lawyer could really be your best friend. Depending on the arresting officers complaint/ticket and subsequent charge also the amount of damages to her mirror a overzealous prosecutor might be inclined to seek some type of felony charge. In any case misdemeanor or worse you don't want it on your record. A good lawyer will get a copy (called discovery) of the nutbags driving record, the complaint and witness statements, and depending on the charge it might be worthwhile to get a couple of video instances of this idiot driving in traffic, failure to signal lane changes etc... other bad driving habits.

Bad driving habits typically don't change overnight. If you have the ability to get video and you have that as evidence you can lay the groundwork that this driver is inattentive and reckless and that you were in danger as the driver did not acknowledge your horn (you did use it yes) and failed to yield the right of way, and when she started moving into your lane you had no safe escape route to avoid her. You merely put your hand out to to get her attention and unfortunately due to speed(physics) it broke the mirror and it was not your intention to cause any damage it was only your intent to get the drivers attention and to possibly prevent yourself from becoming another motorcycle accident statistic. You or the attorney must discredit this womans claim that she was merely minding her own business and that she obeys all of the traffic laws always. I bet she will surely say that atleast. If she says that and you have video of her actually breaking traffic laws she just perjured herself and a good attorney will get the case thrown out.

I'm not an attorney but have successfully argued in court a few tickets in my lifetime and this is not one you want to go alone because it will be a criminal charge not just traffic. :cool:

1 - 20 of 168 Posts