Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
That does look nice! You must be over the moon! By the way, what kind of silencers do you have? They look great.

Ride safe out there.

Noel

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Yeah, that does look good, love the red stripe with gold piping - nice touch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got ma baby back.....

Funny you should ask about the pipes. One of the things that blew me away on this bike was the exhaust note when I got it. When I first looked they looked to be stock Triumph pea shooters. They looked nice.
When the guy I bought it from started her up, again, relatively pea shooter quiet. When it warmed up a bit, he gave a quick crack of the throttle and I just about **** myself. The sound was epic.
I have guys I ride with on Commandos and other gems who say they've never heard a sound like that out of a Triumph Thunderbird.
I asked the guy I bought it from if he knew what the deal was and he had no idea.
If it wasn't for the accident I would never have known. I happened to take it to a Triumph pre-era restoration guru (who also owns 2 x T-birds) and he said he was amazed at the sound and once he had the pipes off, he was even more amazed.
The pipes ARE stock Triumph pea shooters, but from between 1965-1970 (he said he uses them all the time on pre-era restorations).
The original owner had apparently had a small simple bracket made to be able to mount those pipes, and he said between the pipes themselves, and the triple engine, it became the perfect storm of sound to create the note that it has.
One of my pipes got bent at the end, in the drop and he replaced it with a new one (apparently they're pretty easy to get) for around $175 (one pipe).
While my bike was there he reverse engineered the bracket and is having it fabricated so he can put them on his T-birds.

Thanks, I love the stripe much more too. I was never really in love with the single upper red scallop, and thought it took your eyes away from the amazing Triumph badge. My only concern was, will it make it look like a black bike from the side, but it doesn't. You can clearly see the red stripe on the top and fender when locked.

I had only had the fender/rear tire/wheel replaced a week before the accident, so didn't get much time on her, before she was in the shop for 3 months.
I think I've only been out in my 2012 bird once since she's been back. So much fun to ride!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts