Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a pair of heated grip liners under the existing factory grips.

These really rock! Why did I wait so long? It's like a nice little palm massage...ahhhhh...while I ride. The best $40 I spent I think. All bikes should come with these. It is soooo nice.

I installed my own LED round rocker switch in the fly screen fairing backing plate so it looks factory. I took power and ground from the switched parking light bulb wire in the left headlight. I checked that circuit was at 13.5 volts with the engine on to give sufficient power. What is also cool is that I can turn my parking light on and pre-warm the grips while I fumble with gear. So, when I turn on the ignition, the grips are ready to go and the headlights aren't on sucking 55w each from the battery prior. This way, when I shut off the bike and leave the heat switch on, it cuts power. When on, they draw 3 amps total and there is a 5 amp fuse in the fuse box for the parking lights. Also, I used 300 degree rated 2 part epoxy to glue the stock grips to the heating elements which are adhesive backed to the bar and throttle tube.. This is so the heat won't loosen the grips and cause them to turn.

Pics to follow as soon as a get a new camera compatible with my Vista laptop. I hate vista.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What kind of grip liners did you get and whhere from? I was looking at heated grips for the spring, but this sounds like a good budget alternative if they work just as well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got them from my stealer. They are called "symtec" grip heaters.
My buddy just got some from cycle gear at the link below for about $10 cheaper. We put those on. They even get hotter than mine. However, my "symtec" ones are just right for me. I would probably get the cycle gear ones and save another $10 if I had to do it over. I hated the toggle switch so I elected to get my own rocker switch from radio shack. It took me about 3 hours to do the job right. It looks professional.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=PRC_12-170_G

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have heated grips, too, and I think I ended up wiring into the gauge cluster. They only go on if the ignition is on.
If I had to do it again I wouldnt. I'd wire into something less important to the operation of the bike just incase something went wrong.

Soon, however, I plan on wiring a distribution block of sorts to clean up any accessories I might add in the future (gps, radar det, mipod, aux lights, etc). You use a weak power source such as the license plate light to activate a relay which releases the higher power for your accessories. Plus, it cleans things up a bit.

You might wanna check this out:
http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/generic/relay.php

oh, and skygod. did you insulate the clutch side heater or did it go directly onto the handlebar? The conduction of aluminum will suck out the heat fast. Youll find your right side getting hotter than your left.
A buddy of mine had those heaters on his shadow. He's a wiring idioto and had them installed in such a way that they stay on without the ignition. His left side burned out and drew so much power it was poppin fuses.
hmmm, the smell of fried electronics.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I installed heated grips, but haven't hooked them up to a power source yet. I'm very interested in learning more about how to identify and wire to the switched source. Photos would be great!

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you wanted to have this installed at a shop, how many shop hours do you think would be fair to charge for the install?
I asked at my local shop and was told it would take a couple of hours. Including the cost of the heating elements (~$35) I was quoted a total cost of approx. $200. I didn't get into asking how exactly they would be wired into the bike or how slickly installed the switchgear would be. Doing it like some of the examples provided here would likely add to the cost I expect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts