Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight I was cruising around in good ol' scottsdale arizona looking for a yummy place to have dinner. Well I'm sitting at a stoplight.... and it turns green.... I rev the engine and let the clutch out... and take off! I was accelerating enough to cause a little power wheelie that was maybe got a foot high before the front came back down.

Well... there I ame sitting at the next stop light waiting for it to turn green and I get lit up by the cops! at the red light the cop gets out of the car walks over to me and says "Nice wheelie...You better ***** pull over!" and then goes and gets back in his car. Of course Im gonna pull over for fawks sake! Im not gonna run through a red light though just to pull over... Im waiting till its green!

So I get pulled over by this unmarked cop car.... then up roll two other cop cars! You'd think I would have just robbed a bank or something.

the one that pulls me over walks up and says "give me your paperwork"

I tell him my registration is under my seat and my license is in my pocket..... I dont like reaching for stuff without them knowing what Im going for.... dont wanna get shot by some trigger happy rookie!

the guy looks at my paperwork.... then says "so where the hell do i write this to? California or arizona? Whos bike is this anyways?"

I tell the guy "its my bike! I live and work in a few different states so I have things all over"

the cop that in my honest opinion was extremly rude... doesnt know what to write me up as! so his buddy say'oh ive got a cheat sheet for motorcycles in my car'

so he runs over and grabs his little manual. then after LITERALLY 10 minutes of discussing it.... he decides to write me for CRIMINAL RECKLESS DRIVING!!!!! ands says if I would of told him to use my cali address he would of arrested me and made me post bond!

I mean for the love of god! a ticket like that for a rather pathetic power wheelie??? a power wheelie that never even exceeded the speed limit of 35mph?????

From what I've heard rechless driving is a pretty freakin serious ticket and completly SCREWS your insurance up!

Shouldnt that have been a ticket like "display of power" or whatever they give someone for lighting up the tires on their GTO or doing a donut in a parking lot??? Any insight from the officers on the board would be really appreciated.

I'm freakin livid right now!!! :mad:

[ This message was edited by: Drunktank on 2007-03-04 00:29 ]

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
reckless driving is what they would give the gto doinig burnouts too. Dang DT, I hate to hear it man. Believe me, I KNOW, you don't want that ticket going on yer record. Git a lawyer if ya have a purdy clean record!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Take it to court. Tell the judge you havnt ridden that bike in a while and forgot how much power it had, and explain the circumstances with the cops. If you have a relativly clean record he should dissmiss it, or at least reduce it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
so i'm not the only one............. my condolances, i recommend you get the officers home address (easily obtainable) amd sign them up for jenny craig

·
Registered
74 Posts
GO TO COURT. fight it. reckless is painful (i've had 2) and at least in MS it sticks for 5+ years. most normal insurance companies wouldn't insure me because of mine(both).

although, now that one is gone and the other is almost gone, they won't insure me because of the 4 driving w/suspended license and the 115 in a 55 speeding tickets... oh well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You may have been closer to the truth than you think when you said "Trigger happy rookie". If he didn't recognize the proper Vehicle Code in a short amount of time then he probably doesn't have a great deal of experience.
Either that or from what you said at the beggining of the traffic stop he displayed a hostile attitude. "You'd better pull over", as you described it, sounds like an officer that's had a bad night.....
I think you have some wiggle room. Good luck, partner.
:wink:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Tank,

I'll try to give you a little advice here based on the story you are giving is factual. I'm not questioning your honesty, but its hard to give advice without knowing all details, so like I said this is advice on face value of what you have said. First did he cite you for ARS 28-693.A Reckless Driving.

If so that really does not fit someone doing a wheelie. The statute states that you commit reckless driving if you are endangering persons or property by your action or something to that effect. Anyway I personally don't think it is a very good fit because the officer needs to show how you endangered others, does not pertain to you the driver endangering yourself. A better fit would have been 28-701.A Exhibition of speed which is basically a speeding ticket. (Civil)

Second when is your court date? I would get a copy of the ticket prior to the date. By that I mean the back of the ticket where he wrote his narrative of the stop and violation. This will help you prepare. You have a right to this, it usually takes 7-10 day before it would be available.

When you do go to court, you will first speak with a prosecutor about the charge. He/She will be the one bringing the charge against you and they have the power to make deals, plea agreements. They can be your best friend that day. Many times this type of charge will get reduced to a civil charge to avoid having to go to trial etc. for essentially a traffic violation. They may offer this option to you, ie; pay a fine and go to traffic school. They love sending people to traffic school. This of course would also depend on your driving record. If they don't offer you a deal I would come out and ask if they are willing to reduce the charge to a civil violation if you plead guilty. Your first appearence in court is not the end all day. If they are not willing to deal then you can still plead not guilty and get an attorney if so inclined or take it to court on your own. You will then be given another court date which would be the actual trial.

I would also just be quite honest with the prosecutor about the situation, trying to make it look like the cops fault usually doesn't get very far. If you are truthful and just ask if them to work with you it usually helps. Maybe tell them that a ticket like this would effect your job and income which in turn would make it hard to pay the fine etc. Sometimes if you get a liberal prosecutor that helps. Also hopefully the prosecutor realizes that the charge really doesn't fit what you did and makes the offer to reduce it to the proper charge. Problem is that sometimes it depends on the prosecutor and then the judge accepting the plea agreement.

As for a reckless driving conviction, yes it is a biggie. I believe it is 5 points on your DL in Az anyway, not sure how it would effect a Cali license. They can also suspend you if a judge wants. I believe a first conviction is a class 2 misdemeanor. Not good. You also might want to think about getting an AZ DL or check to see if people with out of state licenses are eligble for traffic school, I am not sure.

Lastly hope it all works out for you, we all know that sweet little S3 can make us misbehave at times and the biggest problem most likel is you did it in Snottsdale where it is offensive to the delicate sensabilities of the millionaires.

Let us know how it goes and if you have anymore questions let me know I'll try to give you the best answer I can.

Goodluck amigo........

·
Registered
711 Posts
This ticket is serious. Reckless used to be 8 points (suspension) so if ******* is correct on 5, that is good. No offense Nimec, but the last thing I would admit in Court is that "I forgot" how to handle what I was in charge of being the operator of, bad on a moped, "Reckless" on a 100+ hp sport bike doing a wheelie(JMHO). This relates to the post showing the squids doing their best (worse) stunts in the middle of traffic. My comment to that is regardless of the danger/cool factor/whatever personal feelings, it brings the focus of increased enforcement for even "minor" infractions that have to be defended in court. It's funny how these things become personal, there is no "intent" needed to prove elements for a traffic violation. Cops don't need to be rude and we don't have to assume because a guy doesn't memorize the traffic code, criminal code and city ordinance numbers that he will shoot you over paperwork and he must be a rookie that somehow couldn't see a motorcycle tire a foot off the ground as the bike clears the intersection.

I would +1 *******'s advice on talking to prosecutor to try and work out 701 vs 708 (693) or perhaps a City Ord that may carry fine but no points. Misd. MV charges can result in arrest and it is officer's discretion to cite and release.

Best of Luck and Drive Safely (that doesn't mean slow)
BobW

·
Registered
242 Posts
to think, if i had headed to scottsdale with you i would have witnessed it all. that sucks to hear ryan. i got a driving(cage) ticket back last year in tempe near mill and the cop was a jerk. there was all this construction because of a light rail and i wasnt in the turning lane when i turned. anyway, it was a mess and i was lazy with it which cost me $$$. the driving school out here is just a boring as hell class you sit in for 6+ hrs with idiots who keep asking the same "what if" question. only thing of value i learned was that you can u turn at a red light. again, thats beat you got the ticket. your no 18 yr old squid, so maybe the judge would be a bit more forgiving and work with you.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Hire a good traffic lawyer if you have the money. I got a BS Reckless Op ticket a few years back for a wheelie/stoppie/wheelie/stoppie combo in downtown at night with no one around and the lawyer got it turned into a brake light violation after speaking with the prosecutor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You have a speedy and you're suprised you got a ticket. I think the speedy owners manual needs a section on getting tickets. Seriously, some states you can take a deferment on a traffic ticket.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On 2007-03-04 06:42, *******-Rat wrote:
Tank,

I'll try to give you a little advice here based on the story you are giving is factual. I'm not questioning your honesty, but its hard to give advice without knowing all details, so like I said this is advice on face value of what you have said. First did he cite you for ARS 28-693.A Reckless Driving.

If so that really does not fit someone doing a wheelie. The statute states that you commit reckless driving if you are endangering persons or property by your action or something to that effect. Anyway I personally don't think it is a very good fit because the officer needs to show how you endangered others, does not pertain to you the driver endangering yourself. A better fit would have been 28-701.A Exhibition of speed which is basically a speeding ticket. (Civil)

Second when is your court date? I would get a copy of the ticket prior to the date. By that I mean the back of the ticket where he wrote his narrative of the stop and violation. This will help you prepare. You have a right to this, it usually takes 7-10 day before it would be available.

When you do go to court, you will first speak with a prosecutor about the charge. He/She will be the one bringing the charge against you and they have the power to make deals, plea agreements. They can be your best friend that day. Many times this type of charge will get reduced to a civil charge to avoid having to go to trial etc. for essentially a traffic violation. They may offer this option to you, ie; pay a fine and go to traffic school. They love sending people to traffic school. This of course would also depend on your driving record. If they don't offer you a deal I would come out and ask if they are willing to reduce the charge to a civil violation if you plead guilty. Your first appearence in court is not the end all day. If they are not willing to deal then you can still plead not guilty and get an attorney if so inclined or take it to court on your own. You will then be given another court date which would be the actual trial.

I would also just be quite honest with the prosecutor about the situation, trying to make it look like the cops fault usually doesn't get very far. If you are truthful and just ask if them to work with you it usually helps. Maybe tell them that a ticket like this would effect your job and income which in turn would make it hard to pay the fine etc. Sometimes if you get a liberal prosecutor that helps. Also hopefully the prosecutor realizes that the charge really doesn't fit what you did and makes the offer to reduce it to the proper charge. Problem is that sometimes it depends on the prosecutor and then the judge accepting the plea agreement.

As for a reckless driving conviction, yes it is a biggie. I believe it is 5 points on your DL in Az anyway, not sure how it would effect a Cali license. They can also suspend you if a judge wants. I believe a first conviction is a class 2 misdemeanor. Not good. You also might want to think about getting an AZ DL or check to see if people with out of state licenses are eligble for traffic school, I am not sure.

Lastly hope it all works out for you, we all know that sweet little S3 can make us misbehave at times and the biggest problem most likel is you did it in Snottsdale where it is offensive to the delicate sensabilities of the millionaires.

Let us know how it goes and if you have anymore questions let me know I'll try to give you the best answer I can.

Goodluck amigo........
This really helps! As you can see by my original post I am in no way denying that my front wheel came off the ground. I'm simply confused by the severity of the charges which is ARS 28-693A!

As for my record, as of january... the last ticket fell off my record which was for making a california stop. So right now I have a totally clean record. As was mentioned about the company car.... yes, I do drive a company car. And I'm allowed to have 4 points against my license for the companies insurance to cover me. So if this goes aggainst my license.... i'm utterly screwed!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I started posting something on this last night right after you put it up, then I had to write a reckless driving ticket that ended up going to jail.... :-D

Any way, you've gotten the same advice I was going to give you. IMO I don't think that wheelies/stoppies fit the "reckless" statute here in Utah either (every cop I know thinks it does though) It takes control over the throttle and brakes to do those stunts. But they are just that - stunts. If you pulled a wheelie in traffic or near some other vehicles the Officer may be able to articulate a danger of life or property damage to another. I think the exhibition of speed ticket would be more appropriate.
My advice would be to talk to the prosecutor, if the Officer did make a mistake, or the prosecutor isn't confident himself with the circumstances during the "exhibition of speed". he may be inclined to lower it to an exhibition of speed rather than reckless driving. He may be inclined to do it anyway to avoid a trial, granted he gets paid to go to trial, but some prosecutors would rather offer a plea (all of our district prosecutors do this (for the big felony stuff)). SO it might be worth a try, as you said you DID wheelie so while others will advise you not to admit guilt to the prosecutor, an admission may show him that you're honest and just want ot be treated fairly - and explain why a reckless driving ticket would be excessive or unfair. I think even the Cop would accept a plea bargain to avoid a court testimony. (especially if he was a dick like you said. And about that, he was having a bad night i'm sure, i hate to admit it but i've been guilty of it too. This lady pushed everybutton I have at a traffic accident and I lost it on her, I felt like an idiot so I appoligized for my behavior as I drove her to jail. :-D

·
Registered
969 Posts
BTW I have a firend down in the Pheonix area for a Sober Riders group ride. He said there are around 500 bikes in the ride and the police doen there have been very attentive. This may be why the Officer was having a bad day, probably had some bad experience with another biker and was fed up.

Any of you AZ riders down there with the sober riders?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The ONLY thing to do is get a LAWYER. Be completely honest with your attorney and he/she should be able to get this knocked down. Unfortunately, there in no "wheelie/stoppie" law in most places, so the only ticket an officer can write is Reckless Driving. Don't think for a second that it won't stick because you didn't endanger anyone's life or property. Judges everywhere are notoriously hard on bikers because it is politically popular. DO NOT contest this without a lawyer. Ask the lawyer to offer that you take an MSF course at your own expense. Good luck.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You may want to take Savage's advice but I would go to your initial court date by yourself and see what the prosecutor is willing to offer. As I said before you will not be going to trial that day for the violation, it is the day where the prosecutor will give you your options and then you will plead guilty or not guilty or make a deal. If you end up not getting a deal and have to plead not guilty, you can then go hire a lawyer if you want and he/she could still possibly get you a deal before actually having to go to trial or they will represent you for the trial. This way if you go in and get a deal from the prosecutor you saved yourself the $500-$1000 bucks the attorney would have charged you to get the same thing. Many people are affraid to go in to court and don't know what to expect that first date and the attorney's eat that up and get many people the same deal they could have gotten on there own. Anyway thats how I would handle it if it was me. Again goodluck..........

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey man, I just went to court for a reckless.

Hire a lawyer. It's all about money. You either give your money to the lawyer or the insurance company over 8 years. It costs more in the long run.

The judge for my reckless reduced it to improper driving. I just went in there and told them I was at fault, and didn't blame the cops.

That cop that pulled you over sure sounded like a rookie. Most cops are usually pretty fair. But the new ones are always the ones that want to make a name for themselves.

Was there a girl somewhere when you pulled the wheelie? Thats one of my weaknesses. Showing off to the opposite sex.

Good luck with your ticket.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts