Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was fiddlin' around with the bike removing some things that I felt were unnecessary (don't worry I kept the brakes on) and I decided to go on a little ride around the neighborhood which turned out to be a run to my favorite twisties. During my travels I felt like the bike responded better, my question is, does the little loss in weight like 2 lbs. here and 3 lbs. there make that much difference? This is the first bike I have really messed with as far modding goes so I don't know if I am getting better as a rider or if my bike is bumping my skill level up. Also, I only have about 1/4" left of chicken strip on my rear tire and I'm afraid if I push her any further I'm gonna lose my traction, is this just rookie jitters or should I ease up?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm going to say yuour getting better.......good for your ego and your confidance. G'head and lean that thing over. I had that problem when i first started riding. Its all about confidence.

And you dont have to be going 100 to lean it all the way over a good 50-60 mph curve will be your best bet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Keep on riding and leaning that baby, remember you've got a LONG way to go before you outride the bike and tyres capabilities, obviously assuming you don't do something silly :-D :cool: Make sure the tyres are warm and the surface clean and without too many loose bits.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
pope, no worry with git'n rid of those chicken strips, them tires are made fer using all of 'em. :-D Just take it at yer own pace, and don't rush things, next thing ya know, you'll be the next rossi. :razz:

·
Registered
40 Posts
On 2007-03-09 13:49, cheapbastard wrote:
pope, no worry with git'n rid of those chicken strips, them tires are made fer using all of 'em. :-D
I second that :hammer: Check out my tires. Also like cheap says, take your time, take it easy and you will be riding faster than any of your budies in the twisties. There is nothing worse than getting in over your head on a motorcycle.

No chicken here!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
you doing great! you can lean farther. you only need a fraction of the contact patch to actually "hold" the corner. just remember to do all your braking before you enter the turn. and then, get on the gas lightly as you start your lean angle as to transfer the weight rearward.
baby steps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts