Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my triple. Are you happy for me? I'm sick of getting road dirt on the shock. Looks good. Only one complaint. The bolts that came with it are poorly made. The head is between 5 and 6 mm. Just enough play to make the soft metal strip when torquing to the recommended 8Nm. :mad: So, I'm going to replace them with stainless steel ones that are machined better.

Cheers

Larry

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah, the hugger is a great addition to this bike. I have one made by Skidmark (sp?). I really like the fit of mine and the look of it. I got one early on so my shock looks really nice. My only recommendation is LOCTITE!

·
Registered
657 Posts
For my triple. Are you happy for me? I'm sick of getting road dirt on the shock. Looks good. Only one complaint. The bolts that came with it are poorly made. The head is between 5 and 6 mm. Just enough play to make the soft metal strip when torquing to the recommended 8Nm. :mad: So, I'm going to replace them with stainless steel ones that are machined better.

Cheers

Larry
Larry,
did you notice that bolts have torx heads not Allen/hex? If you use Allen key you will end up stripping it...
You may still try to use torx bit and be able to tighten it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Larry,
did you notice that bolts have torx heads not Allen/hex? If you use Allen key you will end up stripping it...
You may still try to use torx bit and be able to tighten it.
Bohdan, good observation. I did not mash the bolt on, just finger tight as I could not get a good fit with my hex key. I'll try the torx. That never even occurred to me. I wonder why they would use torx. I always thought that was for assembly line, automation.

I'm switching flights in Atlanta Wed. So I will give you a wave hello as I go by.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I ordered my 08 model with the Triumph hugger fitted from the dealer cause of all the stories i've heard plus i know how bloody hard it is to clean a shock once they get dirty.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bohdan, good observation. I did not mash the bolt on, just finger tight as I could not get a good fit with my hex key. I'll try the torx. That never even occurred to me. I wonder why they would use torx. I always thought that was for assembly line, automation.

I'm switching flights in Atlanta Wed. So I will give you a wave hello as I go by.
Hex keys strip too easy. You can get a lot more leverage with a torx wrench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts