Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another great & historic raceway has fallen to suburbia's relentless advance. Oran Park Raceway, west of Sydney, the scene of many a fine dice, on both bikes & cars, closed last year. & the bulldozer's have just made the act final. All of that beautiful black top is now landfill. A friend on another forum took these pics. Don't look if you're of a sensitive disposition. They are truly sad.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I remember seeing a young Mick Doohan, and Michael Dowson contesting the Australian Superbike Championship out there in the late 80's. I thought the place would never come to this. Much like Amaroo Park I suppose.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Man....that just sucks:mad:

·
Registered
906 Posts
I learned how to go fast at places like Oran Park and Amaroo, both now sadly gone...

I also raced at Catalina and Bathurst....

It's very sad to see all the old bike racing circuits die.

S.

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
So build new ones!
As if that is ever going to happen. Here the crowds are all at the V8 sedan racing, and driven money wise by that. They will just develop yet another meeting revolving around some city and someones ego that will become just another processional road race through a concrete canyon with possibly one passing spot.

It's all ok so long as we get the sponsors billboard on telly and the corporate crowd get to rub shoulders at the event although most of them wouldnt know their arse from their elbow racing wise.

·
Registered
906 Posts
What Dogtired said...

It's all damn V8 cars now days, motorbikes are restricted to track days and the few race days at Eastern Creek.

Big money sponsors and the big corporations run the show, motorbikes are a poor second here in AU.

Times have changed...

I remember when it was possible to rock up to race tracks like Amaroo Park during the week with an ARDC ticket, and ride around the track all day on whatever you liked.
No hassles, no problems...

I learned all the tracks doing that sort of practice in the "old days".

Now, it's all different.

It's sad to see Oran park go...:(

S.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
They should leave the buildings up by the side of the road.

Check out this place. Its the old Reims circuit in NE France. Thats a public road by the Pits. (Not my pics)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts