Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find a good navigation app for Android that will allow me to design my own route and then give me turn-by-turn instructions over my headset. Everything I've found so far will let me design my route, but then tries to give instructions via fastest route.

The closest I can get is with Google Maps and entering "stops", forcing it to put me on the correct road. Problem is once you arrive at the first waypoint, you have to stop, pull out your phone, tell it you arrived at the first "stop", and then tell it to continue to the next stop. Total pain in the ass.

Anyone out there find a better solution?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m at my first try with Scenic, but it looks promising. Has specific mode for how scenic vs rapid you actually want your trip. You can import trips made on other web sites. It’s with in app purchases, but I think you can do a lot on initial credits.

I’m trying that with the iPhone on the handlebar using my Quadlock case as soon as the temperature allows it in Montreal, which should be next week.

I’ll keep you posted.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'll second Scenic. I like it better than Apple Maps or Google Maps, as you can set way-points in route planning. It's straightforward and easy to use. You can d/l several maps for free, or pay and get many more...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just did a few hundreds kms with Scenic and Google map on the iPhone mounted with the Quadlock mount.

Scenic is the best if you want to avoid highways and find scenic routes or input your own itinerary. It also gives you a recap (kms, average speed, time, etc.) and you can use it as a log book of your trips. It’s easy to use and it found great routes around the highways.

The only point I would give Google maps the advantage is for the turn-by-turn navigation. I think the instructions and the next steps are clearer with Google maps. There are less «*head down*» moments with Google maps as the information is easier to read.

As form the Quadlock mount and case, I went through some heavy rain for long periods and the poncho did it’s job. The iPhone was well protected and no water was in contact with the phone. The only think I noticed is that the rain poncho of the case sometimes triggered the iPhone proximity sensor causing the screen to shut down. It was intermittent, but could be annoying if it happened in the middle of an intricate navigation when your solely relying on the phone.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Calimoto - even the free option gives you a local map in your area, it allows you to make a route by adding waypoints, uploading a predeinied route, or sllow it to create a ride on what it fetermines are the most scenic roads in the area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had never heard of Scenic. In fact, I never thought there were any motorcycle specific nav apps. Just downloaded it and am anxious to try it out. Gotta love this forum!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Been using scenic from a few years now on my iphone, actually i even use it before when it was call motomapper. This is simply the best app out there. You can even plan a trip directly on the iphone and share the gpx file on the go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am now designing an app exclusively dedicated to motorcycle riders and I will appreciate it if you can give me your opinion on what features to prioritize! It is a 10-minute survey and in the end you have the option to stay in touch to be the first one to try the new app next Spring. https://riderapp.typeform.com/to/KpMQPs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts