Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Good:
My Racetech springs came in (1kg/mm). I am getting new sprockets and chain put on as well. Went 18t on the front. After much nickle-an-dime work on my bike, I feel like I may just be getting her where she needs to be for us to continue our relationship.

The Bad:
Recieved my SECOND speeding ticket in less than a month, this time here in the Rock on Fair Park north of UALR as I was taking my bike to the shop today for spiffy new upgrades mentioned above. Sneaky motorcycle cops. The bad part was I really had no clue how fast I was going because I was trying to get around a cab that was pulling onto the road on my right side. The verdict: 52 in a 35......BTW, my last speeding ticket was 15 years ago. I hope State Farm is understanding.

The Good and Glorious:
Little Rock BMW/Triumph/Ducati/Vespa was kind enough to lend me a demo while my Sprint was being worked on. It really broke my heart to have to ride a Ducati GT1000 today. Must I mention this bike comes with Termignoni stainless exhaust...yes I must because this glorious noise maker has re-ignited my Ducati lust. My first bike I ever owned was a brand new 1994 900SS-CR.

Since my bike was not ready at closing time, I got to keep the Duc overnight. So, we went for a ride. Some of you may be familiar with Little Rock: I went down Kannis to HWY 9 to HWY 10 to HWY 300, Through Little Italy and on back around to Pinnacle Mountain and then back to West Little Rock.

In many ways the GT1000 is not much different than my 900SS. The feel of the engine and the sound and pretty much the same.

On the GT1000 the exhaust music is ALL you hear...and I love it.

On my Sprint 1050, stock exhaust, I usually only hear the exhaust if I am accelerating hard. Otherwise I hear the engine mostly.

So, those of you with the D&D exhaust...will it make my triple sing and make beautiful music because after todays ride I am ready to uncork her let her be heard.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Nice post deltablues:bighand:

I always loved the 900SS of old but ended up going for more Honda's at the time. Partly 'cos the Duke dealer was to hard to get to and you really have to maintain those puppies.

The GT looks nice and I like the note they make very much, it is a very nice but different sort of bike from the "do all well" Sprint.

Thanks for the nice post buddy:) it was an enjoyable read.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey DaveM,

These demo rides are cool. But I got to tell you that my Sprint feels like a well-oiled, ground-pounding missle compared to that GT1000 or the F650GS I demo'd a few weeks earlier.

The only car on the road right now that I could compare my ST 1050 to would be the new Nissan 370Z.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Hi deltablues,

I would have to totally agree with that too.:)

I really love my Daytona 955 but there is always something very special about the Sprint that I just love, it does everything without any effort.

cheers
DaveM:)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sprints and Dukes...

The Good and Glorious:

In many ways the GT1000 is not much different than my 900SS. The feel of the engine and the sound and pretty much the same.

On the GT1000 the exhaust music is ALL you hear...and I love it.

On my Sprint 1050, stock exhaust, I usually only hear the exhaust if I am accelerating hard. Otherwise I hear the engine mostly.

So, those of you with the D&D exhaust...will it make my triple sing and make beautiful music because after todays ride I am ready to uncork her let her be heard.
Hi Deltablues - I had a Sprint in the best colour like yours and I changed it to a Duke ST3.

I still miss the outright power of the Sprint and it sounded great with IXILs, but I love riding my ST3 at any speed and the L-twin sounds equally satisfying at any revs.

Let's all enjoy the diversity of biking and the fact that we have such a wonderful choice in today's market. :D

Safe Riding...

Dave
http://flickr.com/photos/smoooooth-lll/3613631880/

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just got back from my first ride S/P Racetech springs, 18t front sprocket, and new chain.

It feels like a different bike now...especially after riding the GT1000 for 2 days.

All the herky-jerky I had with the worn-out chain is gone. Nothing but smooth acceleration and there is difference with the 18t sprocket around town.

The front forks are much much better. Compliant instead of sloppy, but still soft enough to be comfortable over bumpy pavement.

Now, all I need is some overtime so I can get a new shock and new exhaust.

I never tell anyone that motorcycles are cheap forms of transportation anymore....:YellowWink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put the Tridents on mine and they sound great! I tried without the baffle, but I thought it was too loud that way. With the baffle it makes music and changes the bike completely. They're a little tricky to get installed, but there's a great post by OldNDumb that shows how to do it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still spend much less on my Sprint than I did when I had my F150, which would cost me 300/month in gas when gas was $4/gallon last year and that is not including the huge monthly note and insurance.

I am going to go with the D&D exhaust. I like the build and the layout. I wish there was a way to do a true 3-into-3 exhaust, but I know there is no room for that.

One of the benefits of a new chain is that my gas milage has gone up quite a bit! Mid-to-upper 40's compaired with high 30's to low 40's before the change. Guess having to power a crappy chain was sucking power away dramatically.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hello fellow neighbor inmate. That Ducati is sure pretty, but I would keep the Sprint. Now since you have much stiffer springs you will also need 6pots pistons. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey there a1fa,

I just got back from a spirited ride down HWY 289. That road has a lot of curves and true 20mph corners connected with 60-80mph straights. The 18t sprocket really help on roads like this where I never get out of 2nd gear.

I actually like the stock brakes. I know a lot of you guys think they are weak, but I can get the rear off-the-deck pretty easily with the stock brakes. Now, that does not mean I am pulling stoppies though. I'm a rider, not a stunter.

Here is a pic of my ride on HWY 289 today................

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Hey there a1fa,

I just got back from a spirited ride down HWY 289. That road has a lot of curves and true 20mph corners connected with 60-80mph straights. The 18t sprocket really help on roads like this where I never get out of 2nd gear.

I actually like the stock brakes. I know a lot of you guys think they are weak, but I can get the rear off-the-deck pretty easily with the stock brakes. Now, that does not mean I am pulling stoppies though. I'm a rider, not a stunter.

Here is a pic of my ride on HWY 289 today................
deltablues,

a lot of us can get the rear off the deck no problemo on my '04 Sprint ST.
Don equally has no problem doing it on his '03 either.

DaveM:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts