Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

i thought you guys with yanked out baffles might want to read this.i read awhile back about a guy putting a screwdrive across the end of his open pipes while on dyno,and his mid goin up like 4 horsepower,so he then used a bolt inside his exhaust,after seeing them on the rise here,i thought i would look it up for you guys

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
This would most likely pertain much more to straight, open pipes, as opposed to "Bafflectomized" ones.

The Stock Triumph pipes, even with the end baffles removed, have enough interior baffles / plates/ / shelves, and volume to help return pulse waves back to the exhaust valve face. These assist in scavenging the cylinders, especially during the cam overlap periods at lower RPM's.

On straight pipes, or shorty pipes, this back/forth pulse action doesn't occur at the lower RPM valve overlap periods, as there is nothing to rebound against, and that is why you see a dip in the torque curve under 5252 RPM. Moreso if the pipes are too large in inside diameter.

This eyebolt thing is an old, old trick dating back to at least the 60's. Actually, there is an expensive, $75.00 version of this technology floating around for HD guys.

Super Trapp silencers, and a few others use variations of the same technology.

Yes, it works, and works well. If you have straight pipes, you can turn the "o" of the eye bolt perpendicular to the flow to create a means to rebound the pulses if you are going to be just tooling around town, or going through twisties and need lower end torque.

Turn the Eyebolt sideways, to minimise rebound, if you are doing a high-speed run, or are traveling on the slabs long distance.

Lastly, many of the newer high tech expensive bikes do this electronically as well, which goes to further prove that sometimes the easiest and simplest technology invented in someone's garage works the best.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've seen pipes with all baffles,plates removed,even longjohn i think,has debaffled and shortened his cans,,,thought this might be worth a try for those guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts