Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

I picked up a pair of stock exhausts ($25.00..I LOVE ebay) with the intention of gutting them and making the Thrux a lot louder.... I've read the many threads detailing this procedure and I think I can do it. The only thing holding me back is the re-jet that I know I will have to do after all is said and done. I'm going to pick up the Dyno Jet kit...it says that it comes with detailed instructions so I'm going for it.

Any advice on what to look out for? Any way to make this as stress free as possible? I'm looking for any and all advice..from simple to advanced.

Appreciate any and all support.

Peace!:cool:

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
The rejet will be simple compared to getting the baffles out of the silencers.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

I did a radical bafflectomy on my Bonneville. I don't know if the Thrux muffler is the same, but if it is, then refer to this picture by Loxpump .

You have the pipes off the bike , which makes it much easier. Patience and a lot of wiggling are needed to get the rear baffle out. Most people stop there but If you look at the picture you can see that there are two moresolid baffle plates inside the muffler. Its important to punch through all those solid plates.

The other baffle plates are more like screens and just hold the inside pipes in place.. The first solid plate you will remove with the rear baffle. There are two more inside. I used a really long screwdriver to blast a big hole in the second one. Then I looked in and located the second baffle pipe by looking in the muffler from the back. This 3/4" inside pipe is a perfect guide for a half inch rebar. Make sure the front end of the muffler is secure by bracing it with a block of wood. Then slide the rebar in until you feel it hit the third baffle plate.Thats the closest plate in the picture. A couple of whacks with a hammer and the rebar will punch right through it. Now that you have opened all the solid plates, the baffles are essentially useless and the muffler will flow much better.

You know its done when you can look thru the muffler and see daylight. This makes a real nice sound too. I rejetted with 120's and took the restrictor plate out of the air box....it woke the bike up...very noticable.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh Oh...I may be in over my head:eek:...hummmm...now where did I see a kit for emgo exhausts with re-jet kit?:rolleyes:

Thanks guys....gotta think about this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts