Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Instead of trying to tweak my blades on my 2011 Triple, I found a like new throttle body assembly on eBay for a 2011 ABS with 200 miles on it for 90 bucks. I feel this is a safer route to seeing if this will address the throttle body problem I have with cylinder 2. This will also get me a little more intimate with my bike which is part of the fun. I MAY even check valve clearance and spark while I'm in there depending on confidence level. I really want to keep this bike for a long time.

I also have a full service manual coming in as well. I should have the manual and the part in about a week. The question I have is what gasket(s) do I need to replace on top of this? Without a manual in front of me I don't know and I would like to get the part ordered now if possible.

I have new hoses, new TB and I'm fairly certain it's recommended to replace a gasket. I imagine there is one once I pull it. Anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks

Moogs

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very skeptical that its really fixed and the deal on ebay I just couldn't pass up. Just preparing for what I think I will have to do when I get the bike back.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DeCosse.

I don't know how the dealer can go from "We cannot sync the throttle bodies and need to call TUSA" too "they're within spec". I sense BS in there somewhere and have little confidence when it comes to the dealer and my interaction with them has been pretty bad overall.

If it's extreme so be it. I'll have burned 90 bucks, maybe I can sell the part for a small loss, but if I test the sync and it's off by 50 or more according to tuneECU there will still be an underlying problem I'll need to address. Either way I'm happy to get the manual and get to know the bike a little more. Obviously I hope it's really fixed.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Cool mang, whatever it takes! I just completed my first oil change on my Trumpet today, why dont the Jap mfgs figure out how to do it, it is SO EASY on the Triple. I hope you get your issue worked out, I actually hope it comes back to you well sorted!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
This is probably a little late as you've gone in another direction, but I put this question out to you and others, DEcosse in particular. Could not a leaky valve or otherwise weak cylinder cause a low vacume reading on the affected throttle body? Maybe we're all looking at a symptom and overlooking the cause?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that is possible but one I am hoping is not the case. The dealer will not look at it further as they say it's within spec. I call shenanigans. If the bike is out of whack as it was before and vibrates and idles as before I am going to look at the simple things first as they won't.

I can check clearance and compression to see if need be.

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
rubber biscuit said:
... Could not a leaky valve or otherwise weak cylinder cause a low vacume reading on the affected throttle body??
Intake valve is wide open on intake stroke, which is what creates the reduced pressure
I believe If there was a leak it would be in the intake tract above the valve

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The throttle body readings are from a vacume signal are they not? So if an exhaust valve was leaking some would not vacume be lost at the intake tract? In other words during the intake stroke some air could be drawn into the cylinder past a leaking exhaust valve killing some of the vacume on the intake side,no?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts