Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About seven years ago one of my friends moved to Key West, FL took up the occupation of jet ski tour guide and has done fairly well for himself down there. A couple of us head down every chance we get to visit, but now he has been trying to get me to move down there and I am hard pressed to turn him down. First off two of his coworkers are quiting end of the month and by a stoke of luck hisroommate is moving out the same time. So I have a room and a job waiting for me in quite arguably one of the most beautiful places a person could find themselves. Also I have worked in the industrial marine environment as a senior mate for seven years or so and qualify for masters licensing from the US Coast Guard. The downside is that my four year old son would be staying here in Wisconsin with the ex so time with him would be more difficult than now. Though admittedly my schedule working on the boat isn't much better. Kind of a last minute decision to make also. Packing, moving, subletting my current place, etc. Lots of headaches if I decide to. Anyways thoughts, advice, criticism, blatant jealous anger... let's hear it!

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Four year olds grow up real fast, you'll be amazed how fast and you won't get a second chance to watch it happen

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it, I wish that things were different with seeing the little guy now. As it stands though with my current predicament logistics aren't going to make that big a difference, I can fly back for a long weekend almost as frequently as I see him now.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I can't say anything about the family, but for God's sake why would anybody want to live in Florida? It's so...flat. And the curve gets boring after you've done it 10 or 12 times.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Don't do it... the riding is craptastic, all the other personal issues can be overcome.
Dog you have grossly understated that ....10000 miles in ten days ...I have to say that Key West was absolutely with out a doubt the worst part of my whole trip...freaking tourists ...slow moving...waiting for draw bridge...one road all the way out...I will not be looking to rdie the bike down there anytime soon..it was worst than riding in New Jersey...

I hated it..Wisc. on the other hand I liked..

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Four year olds grow up real fast, you'll be amazed how fast and you won't get a second chance to watch it happen
TiVo it.

:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hadn't put any thought into the riding aspect until I read dogtired's post. I suppose it would be great if all you wanted was to be seen on your bike, but actually riding? U.S. hyw. 1 has all the appeal of sitting on your own dangly bits for six hours with the reward of finding yourself in Miami at the end of it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well, a chance to live somewhere different can be a good thing. Change is part of life.

Although riding in Florida does suck. A LOT. Very few nice places to ride.
But I've managed a bit over 80k in the last few years. Just in Florida.
You can choose to make the best of any situation.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I live in Florida the cold part of the year when I cant ride in northern New York. The good part of living in Floria is that you can ride all year long, the bad part is your riding in Florida. No matter what you have been told about the slow traffic, tourists, flat straight roads and the such, it is actually much worst than you have been told. That being said my wife and I are in the process of selling our places in New York and central Florida so we can move to the Keys. If you like the water, which it sounds like you do, there is no better place than the Keys on the easy coast. Riding across Seven Mile Bridge at sunrise is an experience you don't forget and the lifestyle is something you have to experience to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
When I got divorced I paid my ex-wife $50,000 in cash, gave her a nice Jeep free and clear, and paid her alimony of $1000 a month for 48 months just so I could get custody of my youngest son who was 7 years old at the time. It was all worth it and I would have paid more if I had had more.

She on the other hand took the money and moved off to New Hampshire with some guy she eventually broke up with. She is back here now and Irishguy Jr. still loves her, but he hardly ever goes over to see her. He's 14 now and can do what he likes as far as that is concerned. It's sad, but he looks to Mrs. Irish more as his mom than her.

Kids only have one father and they are only kids once. Key West is highly over rated, and nothing against Florida, because I love Florida and we go there several times a year on vacation, but all of Florida is over rated as a residence. I would much rather live in North Alabama, North Georgia, East Tennessee or Western Carolina and just visit the beach a few times a year.

There is a lot to be said for curvy roads, mountains and all 4 seasons.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
If you go... go for the water and maybe the business opportunity. Scuba diving and other water sports up and down the keys is great. Don't go for this http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/9154719/
3 Hr. under best conditions 6:00 a.m. Sunday morning. http://goo.gl/maps/ucN6t

If you stay... stay for this "The downside is that my four year old son would be staying here in Wisconsin". Saphena said it all.. "Four year olds grow up real fast, you'll be amazed how fast and you won't get a second chance to watch it happen." I would suggest you will be stunned vs amazed and that second chance... gone.

You could also take him on a ride or even a drive like this! http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/2254055/

Tough decision. God bless.
http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/9154719/

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
My ex is planning on moving to Florida next year and my 11 & 13 year sons live with her so they'd be going as well. She asked if I was still interested in moving down there (we'd discussed this 5 years ago before the riding bug hit me). I can't imagine a worse state to live in if you like to ride. I told her I'd probably move south if she goes but it'll be to the Smokies most likely. I'd be doing the absent dad gig seeing the kids when I could. Lot's of people do this and with the job situation what it is here sometimes you have to relocated.
Tough decision but when it comes to riding it's pretty easy I guess.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'd give it a try-on.

Those Winters are brutal up North. I'd think at least a Winter try-on would be in order. How often do you swing a leg over your bike during the Winter up there?

And.... it might be a bit lucrative for you.... right?

Just visit your kid early and often.

The riding might be craptastic, but the water stuff might make up for it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I was in Key Largo just last weekend (north of Key West) and my wife and I were floored by the beauty of the place and we had a wee bit of envy for those that called this area home.

I'm including some pics that I took at some dive bar with the most watered down cokes imaginable.

All that being said, I don't envy you. It's a wonderful opportunity, but personally I could not stand being away from my child. Take that with a grain of salt since I'm still married to my child's mom.

About the riding; it will take you a long time to go anywhere interesting. Florida is not as bad as Dog makes it out to be, it's just that he didn't take my advice and rode the worse traffic highway in central Florida. If he would have, he would have seen some nice back roads and country scenery.

Irishguy you are AWESOME!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I was in Key Largo just last weekend (north of Key West) and my wife and I were floored by the beauty of the place and we had a wee bit of envy for those that called this area home.

I'm including some pics that I took at some dive bar with the most watered down cokes imaginable.

All that being said, I don't envy you. It's a wonderful opportunity, but personally I could not stand being away from my child. Take that with a grain of salt since I'm still married to my child's mom.

About the riding; it will take you a long time to go anywhere interesting. Florida is not as bad as Dog makes it out to be, it's just that he didn't take my advice and rode the worse traffic highway in central Florida. If he would have, he would have seen some nice back roads and country scenery.

Irishguy you are AWESOME!
Mrs. Irish and I were going to go down to visit DWR and wife last year and ride to Key West, but other obligations got in the way. A Key West trip is on our bucket list and we hope to go soon.

There is a lot to love about Florida and we are actually working very hard to get our finances situated to where we can buy a fixer-upper hovel in Laguna Beach near Panama City and across the street from the beach with beach access.

Our goal at retirement in a few years is to sell the house in Birmingham and have a small place at Laguna Beach and a small cabin in North Carolina near where the Sparky's live. Then split up our retirement years between the two.

Florida is great, but if I lived there all the time, I would probably have a comfortable cruiser like an America rather than the Bonneville or something sportier.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Don't do it

Merely my opinion, but I was stationed in Key West for two years. After about two months it gets very boring. You're stuck on a little island with a bunch of tourists. The closest city of any consequence is Miami and that's three hours drive away, and on only one road.

I do miss the great fishing, but I really don't get into the "relaxed lifestyle."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts