Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I thought I'd check in here and say hi. I haven't been around here in a long time. having moved on from my Rocket III. I currently do not own a Triumph. I just booked a ticket to England (London is on sale!) in April and will be touring the Hinckley Plant. I'm very excited about seeing the factory.

Maybe I'll get a chance to rent a bike and do a bit of riding in the English countryside.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided long-distance touring was what I wanted to do, and there seemed to be only one choice for that - a BMW. Last year I traded the Rocket on a R1200RT, which I rode from Long Beach, CA to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and back. Now I have a R1200GS, which I plan on riding to Alaska hopefully this summer.

Don't get me wrong. I loved my Rocket III, but it just didn't fit the kind of riding I wanted to do, and what it would take to trick it out in a manner that would make it suitable for a cross-country ride just didn't make sense.

My other bike is an '06 MV Agusta Brutale 910S. When I start missing the power of the Rocket, the Brutale scratches the itch for speed.

Check out my web site. I have lots of pics from my cross-country tour, plus some sexy pics of the MV!

·
Registered
617 Posts
On 2007-02-26 22:28, pbbeck wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I loved my Rocket III, but it just didn't fit the kind of riding I wanted to do, and what it would take to trick it out in a manner that would make it suitable for a cross-country ride just didn't make sense.
I've got mine tricked out for xc and I think it works great. True, the R1200R Beamer is, in most ways, much better suited but when I test rode one a year ago I could tell right away I would get bored with it compared to the Rocket.

However, I would NOT take the Rocket to Alaska and would get the 1200 GS for that job as you have done.

I think you just like to buy new bikes pbbeck....I don't blame you, if I could I would buy a couple of new ones every year. Its one of the joys of riding......there is such a banquet of great bikes out there.......

And now, its time for you to buy another Rocket because all that Torque is calling your name and you know you miss it dearly. :wink: :-D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2007-02-28 21:04, SoccerRef wrote:
Could you please draw a picture of a touring cruiser on a beer mat and give it to the designers at the plant. :mad:
You can't possibly be mad at my comments here, as the emoticon suggests. I chose to move on a bike that I feel better suits me. How can that be angering to anyone?

BTW... My picture would be of a bike that has full wind protection, adjustable windscreen, heated grips and seats, electronic cruise control, electronic suspension adjustment, huge lockable saddle bags (standard), ABS, and a sound system. Oh.. wait a minute... no need to draw a picture, because a factory in Berlin already makes this bike.

[ This message was edited by: pbbeck on 2007-02-28 23:05 ]

·
Registered
617 Posts
On 2007-02-28 23:04, pbbeck wrote:
You can't possibly be mad at my comments here, as the emoticon suggests. I chose to move on a bike that I feel better suits me. How can that be angering to anyone?
Socceref will correct me if I am wrong pbbeck, but I think he was referring to the fact the Triumph has been negligent in manufacturing a true touring version of the Rocket and that you should remind them of this when you visit. The anger emoticon was to emphasize this.

The lack of a true Rocket tourer has been the subject of much dismayed discussion here, especially since Victory has been so bold as to attempt their own in the Vision......or as some of us feel........ the nightmare!

·
Registered
45 Posts
On 2007-02-28 23:04, pbbeck wrote:My picture would be of a bike that has full wind protection, adjustable windscreen, heated grips and seats, electronic cruise control, electronic suspension adjustment, huge lockable saddle bags (standard), ABS, and a sound system. Oh.. wait a minute... no need to draw a picture, because a factory in Berlin already makes this bike.
Except that said German product is only half the capacity of a decent motorcycle engine and is a cylinder short. But seeing how much performance banefit there is from a sleek aerodynamic fairing and a comfotable seat, there just MIGHT be some benefit in Triumph bringing out a "Sofa Rocket"

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Socceref will correct me if I am wrong pbbeck, but I think he was referring to the fact the Triumph has been negligent in manufacturing a true touring version of the Rocket and that you should remind them of this when you visit. The anger emoticon was to emphasize this.

The lack of a true Rocket tourer has been the subject of much dismayed discussion here, especially since Victory has been so bold as to attempt their own in the Vision......or as some of us feel........ the nightmare!
Ahhh.... it looks like I missed the greater context of the comment. I'll be sure to explain to the Triumph rep at the factory why I no longer own a Triumph. Sounds like they need to hear this.

Now that I'm thinking about Triumphs, I am jonesing for a yellow Thunderbird! :-D

[ This message was edited by: pbbeck on 2007-03-01 09:06 ]

·
Registered
16 Posts
nice website thingy,, can not fault your reasoning or choice of vehicles, Hope you have many enjoyable rides on all your stuff. good luck with your trip but if i could offer some advice, forget England, go to Italy, visit ducati ( fabulous museum )binelli, mv and lamborghini / Ferrari just down the road !!!
But if you can`t change the tickets meet me for a pint and i`ll show you some nice roads and scenery as I live just down the road from the factory.
good luck
desmo666

·
Registered
472 Posts
oh and sine you won't need the triumph pin they give you at the tour, please send to me, I've lost mine and It was something I was proud of.

not too many 'mericans can say they have ridden there bike to the factory...in england.

one of the reasons I think I'll keep my sprint

·
Registered
167 Posts
pbbeck, you left out the other one, that I own, the Honda Gold Wing. The only thing it doesn't have, at the base level is the electrically adjustable windshield (my manual adjustable works just fine) and stock ABS, though it is available. I will add that my engine is smoother, quieter, more hp, torque and more luggage capability. The new stereo rocks and comes standard with 6 speakers (two tweeters included in this count).
Don't get me wrong, the BMW is is great machine, but I've found a much better one, and now with my upcoming ownership of a 2007 Rocket Classic...I will have the best of both worlds.
Enjoy your touring, not doing much of that at the moment in Afghanistan (at least on a motorcycle anyway) so I am jealous of that.
Dennis
13 days to go!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I have a buddy who is a motor officer. He spends 10 hours each day on an RT. He's trying to decide on which touring bike to buy for himself, and he's having a hard time deciding between an RT and a Gold Wing. I think it speaks volumes about a bike if a guy who spends 10 hours each day on it STILL wants to own one for personal use. But he sites several of the reasons you did why he might go with the Gold Wing.

Honda engines are great. But for me personally, I have an issue with the material/finish quality of Japanese bikes (cheap plastic knobs, flimsy compartment covers). And with BMWs and Triumphs, there's an undeniable exclusivity that is very appealing.

[ This message was edited by: pbbeck on 2007-03-04 13:11 ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts