Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon all,

First post so go easy :)
I had a very heavily modded street triple r back in 2011/12 which I loved. Never had so much as a bump on the track but was knocked off at 50km/hr and trashed my feet and spine. Took me 6 years to get back on two wheels and opted for a more sedate 1986 SRX600. That bike is getting too old to be reliably kicked over each morning and has been relegated to the 'project' area of the garage.

I've had the 'approval' from the wife to purchase another and, whilst i think it is a test, I'm going to jump on it :)

I've always liked cafe racers though I do admit that the SRX does play havoc on my wrists - being a big single probably doesn't help. I've narrowed it down to either the Thruxton or a polar opposite ducati scrambler. The latter I can 'only' find the sport pro ;). Test riding is a right hassle in Western Australia as most bikes are shipped to order. I should be able to try out an R though. I assume the ride height and posture is going to be the same as the RS? I'm 75kg and 5'6".

The Duke looks very much like style over substance and I know the thruxton will make me grin. I'll only opt for the former if I find the posture too uncomfortable. I know everyone here will be biased :)

Has anyone happened to have ridden an SRX600 to give me a comparison?

Cheers,

·
Registered
236 Posts
I haven't ridden a SRX, but I have ridden the scrambler and opted for the speed twin (RS not on the market then)
The Ducati scramblers are not that great. the 800 has a massive turning circle for a small bike and was horrible In traffic and got real hot. The 1100 aren’t much better. Even with upgraded suspension felt like an elephant. Compared to other Ducati models the scramblers seem very bottom tier. went the speed twin over the thruxton more for the handle bars/seating position, and if I went a thruxton R I would want the fairing and other bits which added $5k over the Speed twin. Love the speed twin but if I had my time over again and the RS was an option I would have went that route and maybe changed the bars to some apex models Knowing what I know now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. I am wary of the Ducati, but it does look comfy and I feel old!

I love the SRX and would happily keep it as my primary mode of transport if it were reliable.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm 5'6" and I've only SAT on the Thruxton.... and I'll tell you it was uncomfortable for me. I ride a Street Cup and the Thruxton seating position is much sportier with the clip-ons. If all you're doing is going back and forth from work to home etc... It should be fine, but I like longer trips and the Street Cup's clubman bars are a little higher. Not the same bike to be sure, I prefer it as it is lighter and more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I sat on the ducati last night - found it to be a horrible bike. very odd seating position and very top heavy. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my short legs.

The RS looks beautiful. It was on a stand on my toes with both wheels on a stand and up an inch from the floor so difficult to get a good feel for it. I've got a test ride booked for the R model later in the week. Still a tad twitchy at the ride height though it's the same as my old street triple and i think that had a wider frame so I'm hoping I'll be ok. The riding position didn't bother me, at least whilst stationary. It is more or less the same as my SRX though the foot pegs seem a tad higher and further forwards. I had a very nasty accident a few years back and it took a good 5 years to regain the confidence to jump back on two wheels. Went straight into a poorly visible median strip at ~50kmph, flipped over the front, landed on my back fine but my feet were over the curb and the bike landed on top. Must have done a good flip or it would have been my neck. My feet aren't as strong as they used to be - managed to take both of them more or less off at the midfoot. Reattached but definitely wonky! :) I'm still very twitchy at low speed as a result. My SRX is prone to stalling at low speed which has led to a drop or two over the subsequent 3 years, though I can get both balls of my feet down when upright. That bike is ~ 160kg wet and has a ride height of 770mm.

Can anyone recommend an alt bike with a lower ride height? I'll try and have a go on 2-3 bikes and then purchase from there. Thanks for the above advice.

- oh, really impressed with the build quality. Not sure if it's just because its a top end bike, but it is definitely better than my 2011 triple. The faux carb in particular is gorgeous.

P.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The Thruxton is very narrow so feels a lot lower than it is. I am 5'9" and can easily get both feet flat on the ground at the same time with bent knees. I have a Street triple too and the Thruxton feels more planted and very stable, especially when trickling along. It makes for easy and safe slow riding. I used to ride singles a lot, in fact raced them a fair bit and the Thruxtons power feels like a race single on steroids. A pure and massive midrange and a decent top end, if you call 7000rpm odd a top end. I'll bet you buy a Thruxton once you have ridden one. It's what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Closer to 5'7" and disproportionately short legs I reckon. Go genetics.

If I was fine on the street triple with it's wider frame then I'm sure I'll be OK.
Thanks!

If I buy one outright on Wednesday then I'll be looking to get accessories at the same time. Business purchase so ideally everything needs to be on the same invoice. Any recommendations, or should I start a new thread?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No intention whatsoever in getting rid of it. They're increasingly sought after as you say. Needs some work but its in great condition.
I'll get a pic when I'm home

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I bought it. Couldn't get chance to go for a ride but it looks to be 5mm higher then the R so I'm sure it will be fine.

Work + covid = kick the tyres and get it delivered 🙄. Seems everyone shuts up shop the only time I get off.

Got a belly pan, engine guards and some bobbins. Cross pipe and remap though am surprised the latter was needed. Got a good deal on the fairing so I'll stick that in a box for a rainy day project. I don't think I'll get the dealer to install it, though it looks like it might be a pig of a job.

What's the verdict on faired vs unfaired?

Any must have accessories?

Time to bump up the life insurance. 👍

·
Registered
119 Posts
Congratulations! You're really going to like it. You'll enjoy the fairing for certain, both for its stunning appearance and the wind relief. You can keep the high clip-ons with the fairing, which is what I've done. It's an afternoon's project to install if you take your time, and the only real headache is dealing with the wiring in the headlight bucket. There are several threads detailing how to keep track of the wiring, but a picture with your phone will be invaluable. You shouldn't need a remap with the crosspipe. Must-haves? Heated grips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Congratulations! You're really going to like it. You'll enjoy the fairing for certain, both for its stunning appearance and the wind relief. You can keep the high clip-ons with the fairing, which is what I've done. It's an afternoon's project to install if you take your time, and the only real headache is dealing with the wiring in the headlight bucket. There are several threads detailing how to keep track of the wiring, but a picture with your phone will be invaluable. You shouldn't need a remap with the crosspipe. Must-haves? Heated grips.
Thanks mate.
If I had realised you could keep the higher clip-ons then I would have got the dealer to install it. It would be a nice project for a rainy day so I am happy to leave it be for now.

I'm hoping the wiring will be straightforward. I had to make a new loom for the SRX as the old connectors had perished over the last 34 years. My first attempt was 'this seems overly complicated - I can chop this bit off... connect this bit here...' Needless to say it didn't work. Second time around I followed the wiring diagram in the service manual.

Thanks for the tip re heated grips, but I'm in Western Australia heading into summer. The bike grips going to be hot enough as it is :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
The only "must have" accessory you need with bike like that is a bank card, so you can buy lots and lots of petrol!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In true fashion, the moment I signed the paperwork, the salesman has found something better to do. Been a nightmare getting hold of him. Hopefully I can get delivery early next week.

·
Registered
358 Posts
In true fashion, the moment I signed the paperwork, the salesman has found something better to do. Been a nightmare getting hold of him. Hopefully I can get delivery early next week.
Ha! I signed up for the Speed Twin back early in March - "should be here in a couple of weeks", declares the salesman... eventually picked it up late July... Hopefully yours will be a bit quicker!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the dealer reports that the cross pipe wont fit due to the way the rs exhaust is welded. :rolleyes:

He's looking at quotes for a full system but I just want the bike to be honest. Because it's a company vehicle, I need to get as much on the initial tax invoice as possible - Difficult to explain changing the exhaust to the tax man otherwise. Anyone here running a full system?

Also looking for a tail tidy. This one looks awesome but I'll get reamed by the first cop I pass. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well, the dealer reports that the cross pipe wont fit due to the way the rs exhaust is welded. :rolleyes:

He's looking at quotes for a full system but I just want the bike to be honest. Because it's a company vehicle, I need to get as much on the initial tax invoice as possible - Difficult to explain changing the exhaust to the tax man otherwise. Anyone here running a full system?

Also looking for a tail tidy. This one looks awesome but I'll get reamed by the first cop I pass. Any other recommendations?
Same as the TFC. Im Sure Pete at Meerkat has done one already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Took delivery today. Beautiful bike.

I noticed the LHS side panel was a tad loose. I pulled it off and found that the rearmost lug on had sheared. The only dirt visible on the bike was under the panel. I reckon whomever had cleaned it for the show room has pulled on the panel, heard a crack and then pushed it back in. 🙄

Emailed the dealer with pics and have asked for a replacement. It rattles even more now I've tried to put it back on again.🤬

Poor weather, getting home late and I've not been on it yet. Hopefully I'll find time tomorrow arvo.

Next step is to try and find a replacement for the prolapsed rectum that is the rear fender. Honestly don't know what they were thinking 😂.

* Edit *
The free play on the throttle is a tad irritating. Ducati spacers?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts